Esteemed Contributor

Speaking of living history..............

I'll never understand why a TV station didn't come and interview Chester.

When I was working as an RN, I met Chester.

He was 102 years old and in a nursing home, but sharp as a tack.

He remembered when AUTOMOBILES were invented!

He told me the story of his family getting their first car, when he was a child. Windshields were optional, Chester said. Top speed on this vehicle, according to Chester, was 15 mph, and "we thought we were flying." Woman LOL

I used to go home and talk to my husband about Chester. LOL. He was so cute ~ my husband even came with me one day I was off-duty and visited with him.

He could remember the German Kaiser in power before Hitler, and talked about him and some rhymes people used to say about him.....it was fascinating......

If I'd had any sense I would've gotten something to record him with myself, but I doubt that would've been allowed...since I was an employee....

Honored Contributor

Re: Speaking of living history..............

@YorkieonmyPillow I agree with your post.  How lucky were you that you knew Chester and how lucky was he to have you in his life.

I was raised by my grandmother.  She was old when I was born so I only knew her as 'old'.  Her mother was a Cherokee Indian who lived to be very, very old.  I never met her.  Grandma would tell me stories of growing up and what her life was like.  It was wonderful.  I think it cultivated what I consider (and been teased) about my vivid imagination.  I used that imagination with my daughters as they grew up.  They never knew what was going to happen when they got home from school...Ha!

I can't understand why more value isn't placed on the elderly in this country.  I agree with you.  I would have loved to sit and listen to Chester as he talked about his life.

Thank you for telling us about Chester.  Through you, he will live on.  Thanks again....

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Annabellethecat66Thanks! That was over ten years ago, but I still remember what he looked like. I always loved to hear old people talk, I guess because I never had any grandparents.

ETA:  I did have a great-aunt and great-uncle; he was awesome.....when he got up in the morning, he would go to his rocking chair next to the coal stove, and sing.  Heart

Honored Contributor

@YorkieonmyPillow You know, you might think of writing some kind of book or if that's too overwhelming, how about a "I remember" kind of article.

Lots of magazines are looking for articles to publish by people.  With computers these days, it makes it way easier than it used to.

I used to submit articles to magazines, so did my daughter before she got so busy with 4 children.  

You'd be surprised at how well you'd probably do.  Just think about it.

You could even put it on your facebook page, but I'd look into submitting it for a magazine.  Maybe even Reader's Digest sort of magazine?

Trusted Contributor

@YorkieonmyPillow. It sounds to me like Chester was your adopted grandfather and those memories should be treasured.  I am sure he was very fond of you as well.  Blood may be thicker than water as some say but love has no bounds.  We all need to treasure the oldest generations and all they can share with us.

My great grandparents lived next door to my Grandparents and I spent alot of time at both homes.  Great grandma passed just before my first was born.  Both my children visited their great great grandfather but their memories are scant because they were so young.  The rocking chair my great grandparents received as a wedding gift was passed on to me to rock my first born.  My son now has it and my DIL rocks my great grandchild.

I remember the stories about life in the late 1800s and early 1900s.  On the other side of my family my grandmother lived to 101.   She grew up on a farm before cars, electricity, no plumbing (they had a hand pump in the kitchen to get water, they were lucky), etc.  Before she passed the family made sure she had a trip on a large airplane.  She watched the space program and was so amazed when we landed on the moon.   She saw so much and oh the stories she told.  I lost count how many great and great grands she had. I. miss her so much. 

Esteemed Contributor

All 4 of my grands and my parents are still living. Every time we get together we record their memories.