Esteemed Contributor

Re: Speaking of Porch Pirates. . .

@beach-mom 

A (p.o.) box does not have to be through the post office. It could be at a Postal Annex, UPS, Mail boxes etc store fronts etc. 

Informed delivery is great. I use it, and best of all it's free. Every day, you receive an e-mail from the post office letting you know what mail or packages will be delivered that day.  

Do not have him have his personal mail or packages delivered to his job site. That is frowned upon at some companies. 

Respected Contributor

@elated some areas don't have that service-I don't in BBrooklyn NY. 
Tried signing up 3x--no go.

Valued Contributor

@icezeus wrote:

@beach-mom 

A (p.o.) box does not have to be through the post office. It could be at a Postal Annex, UPS, Mail boxes etc store fronts etc. 

Informed delivery is great. I use it, and best of all it's free. Every day, you receive an e-mail from the post office letting you know what mail or packages will be delivered that day.  

Do not have him have his personal mail or packages delivered to his job site. That is frowned upon at some companies. 

Especially when all kinds of junk mail starts getting delivered to him there!!

Valued Contributor

I saw that trash bag story on the news and wondered how a walking trash bag would garner less attention than a person walking up to the porch.

Honored Contributor

@781Florist ...............and how does the "trash bag person" know there will be a package delivered that day?  

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Respected Contributor

Informed Delivery will not keep your packages from being stolen however. Just lets you know whats coming or came.

If he has this much issue, PO Box or rental box at UPS store that may be closer to him if PO is far away, would be the solution.

Honored Contributor

@icezeus 

I've been using informed delivery ever since it was available to be. It's great except sometimes it will tell you there is a piece of mail they don't have an image for.

Honored Contributor

Wyze cameras are cheap.  Install one on the porch and put a sign on the porch letting thieves know they are being recorded. Of course if they're rolling up to the house and a trash bag that's not going to help LOL we have several outside in addition to two Google video doorbells. He can get notifications when they detect a face or dogs or cars or any other movements. You can select what you don't want it to notify you too, such as a trash bag blowing across the yard... or walking across the yard!

Esteemed Contributor

@monicakm wrote:

@icezeus 

I've been using informed delivery ever since it was available to be. It's great except sometimes it will tell you there is a piece of mail they don't have an image for.

@monicakm 

I have noticed that as well. I just take it that the item was unable to be scanned. 

Respected Contributor

@beach-mom   My daughter lives in a condo in a Chicago neighborhood. It's an older neighborhood but mostly young people live there. For awhile they had problems with stolen packages, not from the post office but with other delivery services. The PO has access to open the gate into the common area and to the individual building because the mailboxes are inside the buildings. UPS and FEDEX most not have access to the buildings because the common area is a sea of boxes just left outside and sometime thrown over the gate. 

Like you I send my daughter "care packages" and I reuse Amazon boxes. I put blue tape over the Amazon logo on the boxes so that no one will suspect that it is coming from Amazon and in the sender area on the box I write in large letters MOM and my address. She uses the informed delivery and she signed up for a service that tells her when a delivery is on the way from UPS and how many stops they are away from her. If your son is at work during the day I would encourage him to investigate getting a po box where her can pick up his packages. If not with the PO try UPS stores like other posters have suggested.

I feel your pain. It is terrible to send our grown children gifts and packages and then to have them stolen.