Esteemed Contributor

Re: Social Security #'s on Medicare Cards?!

I believe the SSN on the cards are the actual ID number they use for the account. Makes sense to me since it's connected to eligibility.

Honored Contributor

I have a Medicare Advantage Plan and my SSN is not on the card.
New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

ashleigh dupray wrote:

HAPPY LADY wrote:

Replying to goodstuff comments below. You are not correct. A means you contributed earnings. B means you did not contribute; if your name is on a B card you can receive benefits through another contributor. I am an A and I have hospital,doctor, diagnostic etc. I actually worked on all this mess years ago and my firm helped set up the federal guidelines. This was in the late 60's and early 70's and there many comments at that time this whole system would not be in effect by 2000. The whole pyramid system would collapse. They keep layer stuff; just like our income tax system. It is very complicated and is very easy to scam. Big government as usual; what a mess.

@HAPPY LADY i ran into this with my Mother's Medicare card.  The "A" SSN belonged to my father and he was the sole earner and she used the same SSN and was designated "B".

this came up when i was helping her with phone calls to help with her Medicare services after her surgery, i had her Medicare card in hand but the agent on the line said that the "A" SSN was not hers and she insisted it was.

Actually, I think we're talking about different things here.  On my Medicare card, after/under my name and SSN, it shows Hospital Part A and Medical Part B to show that I am signed up for both Part A and Part B.  Before DH retired last year, we were signed up for just Part A, because we were still covered under his corporate insurance, and at that time, our Medicare card showed Just Part A.  Part B was added when we signed up for that coverage.  

I think you're referring to the suffix letter right after the SSN on the card, and you're probably right about its meaning.

Respected Contributor

maybe the best solution is medicare for all?  That way, the only proof you need is American citizenship

If you can't fix what's broken, you'll go insane ~ Max
Look, I don’t like the taste of broccoli, but it doesn’t get tastier if you call it “Broccoli!”!
You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling. ~ Eames
Respected Contributor

What's new regarding SS #'s on Medicare cards is the fortune in fraudulent claims because of stolen #'s!  Perhaps this didn't happen often in the past, but it's certainly a major problem today.  They need to make changes,  Certainly, the SS# is important to gain Medicare, however it's absolutely possible to assign a different #, rather than the SS#. on the Medicare cards.  Stupidity!

Respected Contributor

If a child receives SS benefits under a parents it is the parents SS# with C at the end..

For years SS# were ID numbers for Health Insurance's..that is how I remember DH so well. For years ours was his # lol..

Are we all that naive to believe our number is not out there in the world fo data bases etc.    How many people have access to these data bases  with our numbers??  You would be shocked to even know..Imagine the IRS for example, or any financial institution..etc!  Access is out there we just dont' realize the level!

Has been for years and only in more recent years as awareness grown and things changed.

I would hope with all the breaches that have taken place everybody has fraud alets on their credit reports and other protections regarding opening/applying for new accounts.

I try not to get too wound up over things I have no control over.. If filling out a form that asks for our SS# I either leave it blank if I feel they don't need it..or use the last four digits..

Respected Contributor

I carry my social security card in my wallet anyway.  So if the wallet is lost or stolen the SSN is there anyway.  I don't know why you're so irate about this.  How else is Medicare going to identify people.  If it were not on there you could give them a false SSn..