Esteemed Contributor

Re: Social Security Scam Call

The other night the spam call came through in my DH name!  We were like how are you calling here?  Can you imagine?  Didn’t answer and then blocked it. 

Respected Contributor

@topcat10 

Let me add my thanks to you and others who work for SSA. When I retired I had several phone calls and office visits to get my and DH's SS and Medicare recorded properly. I had NO problems whatsoever. Everyone I dealt with was pleasant and efficient. Same story when my Dad died and we had to get his SS switched over to my Mom. Not a single problem.

I'm always sure to thank the SSA folks for their help.

Super Contributor

@geezerette wrote:

@topcat10 wrote:

I got the same call last week and just hung up.

I work for SSA processing internet claims....so imagine what we have to go thru dealing with people not wanting to provide info over the phone (my reply to them is - you have already put your info online)....I wish I could just process all of my claims without having to call...but if you submit an application with incomplete info, guess what - we are calling you...and if they still do not want to identify themselves then the claim is being transferred to the local office for you to sit and wait there....it definitely makes it hard for us.

@topcat10 

Is there a way for people to call back to be sure it’s really you and not a scammer?  I would be very leary to give out any personal information to someone who called me.

Several years ago my credit card company called about suspicious activity on my card and wanted information.  I was polite, but I told him that I had no idea if he really was from the credit card company and I would call them back.  He totally understood and said people did that all the time.  

We've had people try to call back the number that they see on their phone and it's only an outgoing number......you can always call your local SSA office and they will let you know that yes, your claim is in this particular office and the remarks on your claim show that they have made phone attempts.

Bottom line, if you haven't initiated contact with SSA (applying for anything), then NO, you should not be receiving calls from SSA.

Super Contributor

@chrystaltree wrote:

@topcat10 

I would never in a million years answer any question from anyone who said they were calling from the SSA because there is no way of verifying that.  It would be foolish thing to just assume it's a legit call.  If an application is pending for additonal information, the claimant should go into his or her local SSA office to have the matter resolved.  I'd rather wait to see someone in the SSA office that risk giving out my personal information to potential scammer.  

Duly noted....No one is forced to apply online, nor forced to answer questions regarding your online application....claim transferred to your local office for in office processing....problem solved.

Respected Contributor

I didn't get a robocall from SSA, but I did get a creepy pop up on my computer today saying I had a p o r n virus and if I tried to get out of the pop up, they would call the police on me and clean out my bank account and use my credit cards. I Googled the #  they showed, but couldn't find anything on it. GEEZ. People need to get a real job and stop bothering the rest of us.

Honored Contributor

I should be in jail by now, based on their calls.  Lol.  I go crazy with the call block and any number i dont recognise!!  Sad part is I miss many calls because caller ID info is odd.  But first time I see number I let it go to voice mail.  If they do not leave message I block right away.

Honored Contributor

I have received this and other scam calls so many times.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@LogoFan wrote:

This is just slightly off this specific subject, but are robocalls all of the spam calls in all categories?

I have received a lot of calls with a woman's specific name on caller ID and it is actually a call regarding insurance coverage.

I have also recevied at least 3 calls from different people in the past few months stating that they are responding to a call made from my phone.  Of course, I never called these people.  Wondering how this can happen also - more hacking going on than I can even understand.

If my caller ID shows anything other than a call from friend or family I don't answer it.  If it's important enough they'll leave a message. 

I've read that often calls stating they are returning your call are nothing more than cold calls made to see if your number is a working one and someone answers.  Once verified, they add you to a list and sell to telemarketers as a number they can call to begin the hard sell.  

Also our local news has just said newest one  - they place a call to a home and only let it ring once bc ppl will often call back to see what they want and once you are on the line, begin the hard sell.  

Esteemed Contributor

Do not pick up th e phone let the answering machine pick it up. And if you must pick it up do not say anything hang up wait for the dial tone and then press star 77 that will block it. 

Honored Contributor

@apple1964 wrote:

Do not pick up th e phone let the answering machine pick it up. And if you must pick it up do not say anything hang up wait for the dial tone and then press star 77 that will block it. 

*77 only blocks calls that show up on the Caller ID with Anonymous as the name.

It doesn't block any other calls.