Trusted Contributor

Re: Social Security Scam Call

I received 7 of these calls in a 2 day period on my cell: 3 from 888-815-0751, 0754, 0759, 0771 and 0838. The first 2 left no messages but following ones all did. They are blocked & it’s a mattter of time before these calls come in on my landline, but they’ll be blocked also. 

Honored Contributor

@topcat10 wrote:

I got the same call last week and just hung up.

I work for SSA processing internet claims....so imagine what we have to go thru dealing with people not wanting to provide info over the phone (my reply to them is - you have already put your info online)....I wish I could just process all of my claims without having to call...but if you submit an application with incomplete info, guess what - we are calling you...and if they still do not want to identify themselves then the claim is being transferred to the local office for you to sit and wait there....it definitely makes it hard for us.

@topcat10 

Is there a way for people to call back to be sure it’s really you and not a scammer?  I would be very leary to give out any personal information to someone who called me.

Several years ago my credit card company called about suspicious activity on my card and wanted information.  I was polite, but I told him that I had no idea if he really was from the credit card company and I would call them back.  He totally understood and said people did that all the time.  

Honored Contributor

@topcat10 

I would never in a million years answer any question from anyone who said they were calling from the SSA because there is no way of verifying that.  It would be foolish thing to just assume it's a legit call.  If an application is pending for additonal information, the claimant should go into his or her local SSA office to have the matter resolved.  I'd rather wait to see someone in the SSA office that risk giving out my personal information to potential scammer.  

Respected Contributor

@topcat10   Thank you for the work you do for the Social Security Administration.  I recently applied online and got a confirmation e-mail stating it was possible I would get a call if more information was needed.

When I applied I asked in the "comments/other info section" that if they needed to call please leave a detailed message since I don't answer my cell directly and never call back if there is no message with a name and return number (so that I can check the validity of the call).

They did call and I returned the call the next a.m.  Asked me things like first year I worked, mother's maiden name, father's first name, where I was born and concluded telling me he would now refer my application for final processing.

My question is does the process ever get completely done online without the follow-up phone call?

Just curious what part I skipped/missed that led to the phone request?  Same thing happened when I applied for Medicare online earlier in the year, but the questions were different I think.

The reps for Social Security and Medicare were very courteous, pleasant, and efficient.  Made me feel good that I almost always vouch for the government employees who I'm certain have very difficult jobs, especially those who deal directly with the public.

Honored Contributor

@aroc3435 wrote:

@topcat10   Thank you for the work you do for the Social Security Administration.  I recently applied online and got a confirmation e-mail stating it was possible I would get a call if more information was needed.

When I applied I asked in the "comments/other info section" that if they needed to call please leave a detailed message since I don't answer my cell directly and never call back if there is no message with a name and return number (so that I can check the validity of the call).

They did call and I returned the call the next a.m.  Asked me things like first year I worked, mother's maiden name, father's first name, where I was born and concluded telling me he would now refer my application for final processing.

My question is does the process ever get completely done online without the follow-up phone call?

Just curious what part I skipped/missed that led to the phone request?  Same thing happened when I applied for Medicare online earlier in the year, but the questions were different I think.

The reps for Social Security and Medicare were very courteous, pleasant, and efficient.  Made me feel good that I almost always vouch for the government employees who I'm certain have very difficult jobs, especially those who deal directly with the public.

Yes!   I helped 2 friends apply for their SSA retirement benefits and I pleasantly surprised by how easy it was.  They actually didn't need my help but they were both a little intimidated, neither worked in business environment.  The application was user friendly and quite easy.  There were no follow up phone calls and they never had to go into their SSA office.  That was the part that surprised me.  That they didn't have to take their birth certificates into SSA.  They received the Medicare cards promptly and their checks arrived when they were supposed to arrive.  

Honored Contributor

I wish my dad would stop answering the phone every time it rings.  He knows they're scam calls, but he still insists on picking up the phone and then hanging up.  I've told him a million times to let it ring, but he still picks up.  He doesn't say anything or even listen to them.  He's 88, so I'm guessing he isn't going to change. 

Honored Contributor

@topcat10 wrote:

I work for SSA processing internet claims....so imagine what we have to go thru dealing with people not wanting to provide info over the phone (my reply to them is - you have already put your info online)....I wish I could just process all of my claims without having to call...but if you submit an application with incomplete info, guess what - we are calling you...and if they still do not want to identify themselves then the claim is being transferred to the local office for you to sit and wait there....it definitely makes it hard for us.

@topcat10 I didn't even answer it, I let it go to voice mail.

I'm pretty sure if it were really SSA calling it would have said so on the caller ID and it would have been a real phone number and a real person that left the message.

Esteemed Contributor

@Bri369 wrote:

I wish my dad would stop answering the phone every time it rings.  He knows they're scam calls, but he still insists on picking up the phone and then hanging up.  I've told him a million times to let it ring, but he still picks up.  He doesn't say anything or even listen to them.  He's 88, so I'm guessing he isn't going to change. 

My 86 year old mother does the same thing.  She doesn’t have caller ID (won’t spend the money) and tells me my brother will be upset if she doesn’t answer the phone when he calls. I tell her that he would leave a message, but she won’t listen to me.

i almost think she likes the phone calls.  She’s constantly telling me about so and so calling her again to sell her windows, insurance, etc.  She hasn’t received any of the social security phone calls, but she knows they are scams.  Honestly, she can’t hear well anyways.

Highlighted
Super Contributor

@chrystaltree wrote:

@aroc3435 wrote:

Yes!   I helped 2 friends apply for their SSA retirement benefits and I pleasantly surprised by how easy it was.  They actually didn't need my help but they were both a little intimidated, neither worked in business environment.  The application was user friendly and quite easy.  There were no follow up phone calls and they never had to go into their SSA office.  That was the part that surprised me.  That they didn't have to take their birth certificates into SSA.  They received the Medicare cards promptly and their checks arrived when they were supposed to arrive.  

AAWWH! Thank you!.....Yes, when you apply online, it clearly states that someone from SSA may have to call.... but we have actually had people tell us that it doesn't say that and will hang up - oh well!.....anyway, there are some claims that we can process without any contact with you and then there are those were certain things are not answered correctly and we do have to call....we've always had a fraud alert system set up, but it has gotten stricter in the last few months (and those are the claims that we cannot process and have to send you into your local office for a face-to-face interview)....so bottom line, every claim is different (some may need to answer additional questions with a call from us and some may not). 

Super Contributor

@CelticCrafter wrote:

@topcat10 wrote:

@topcat10 I didn't even answer it, I let it go to voice mail.

I'm pretty sure if it were really SSA calling it would have said so on the caller ID and it would have been a real phone number and a real person that left the message.

Unfortunately, it doesn't identify us as SSA on the caller ID (that would definitely be nice and make life easier)....as far as the #, it will not show your local area code, SSA changed that a few years ago (it will either be #855 or #866 area code).