Honored Contributor

We just received a robo call which showed up as "800 Service" on the Caller ID (I don't know why Nomorobo didn't catch it) they left a message that it was Social Security calling to tell us they have suspend (yes suspend not suspended) our number due to suspicious activity.  Press 1 if we wanted to clear the case up...

Honored Contributor

Re: Social Security Scam Call

There seems to be no end to the schemes the scammers use to get social security information.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

got the same call yesterday.....sounded like the guy was reading from a script.....struggling to speak English......smh.....

Trusted Contributor

This is just slightly off this specific subject, but are robocalls all of the spam calls in all categories?

I have received a lot of calls with a woman's specific name on caller ID and it is actually a call regarding insurance coverage.

I have also recevied at least 3 calls from different people in the past few months stating that they are responding to a call made from my phone.  Of course, I never called these people.  Wondering how this can happen also - more hacking going on than I can even understand.

Respected Contributor

@LogoFan wrote:

This is just slightly off this specific subject, but are robocalls all of the spam calls in all categories?

I have received a lot of calls with a woman's specific name on caller ID and it is actually a call regarding insurance coverage.

I have also recevied at least 3 calls from different people in the past few months stating that they are responding to a call made from my phone.  Of course, I never called these people.  Wondering how this can happen also - more hacking going on than I can even understand.

Totally frightening. Just don’t answer, block call.

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

Nothing new about that, they'll use any excuse to get to older people.  The SSA ruse is to scare old people into speaking with them.  For well over a year, I have been getting a call about my Student Loans.  Apparently, there is check ready for me to pick up...all I have to do is...call a particular number.   I've blocked the number but the scammers have access to thousand upon thousands of phone numbers so the calls keep coming from different numbers.  I don't bother blocking now, I just hang up.  

Esteemed Contributor

I had two calls that came through with voice mails from the IRS saying if I didn't call back a warrant would be issued for my arrest.

These scammers will do anything to try and get you to call back.

Honored Contributor

@nana59 

He was reading from a script.  All scammers have scripts and they have scripted responses to the questions their target might ask.  It's not one guy sitting in his room, these huge operations.  Phone banks that look exactly like the customer service department of any big legitimate business.  

Super Contributor

I got the same call last week and just hung up.

I work for SSA processing internet claims....so imagine what we have to go thru dealing with people not wanting to provide info over the phone (my reply to them is - you have already put your info online)....I wish I could just process all of my claims without having to call...but if you submit an application with incomplete info, guess what - we are calling you...and if they still do not want to identify themselves then the claim is being transferred to the local office for you to sit and wait there....it definitely makes it hard for us.