Regular Contributor

Social Security Information

[ Edited ]

I found out for my friend finally that a persons disability does not end until they reach retirement age.  My friend said she was told it ended at 65 and maybe it did at one time but not now. So in case someone wants to know I also asked about the reported 2.2% raise for 2018 and she said no she doubts it will be that high............so my friend is upset...............I hate it for her............I try to help when I can.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Re: Social Security Information

I dont understand your friend is upset because SS might get a 2.2% rate hike next year?  Why do you hate your friend?  I may be slow on the uptake here, but I dont understand your post.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Honored Contributor

Disability doesn't end at retirement age.

It may be reduced, but if the person is still disabled and at full retirement age, they will draw both.

@ILoveFragrance

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I do not understand your post either.....her disability does not end? Please clarify.

Honored Contributor

@software  You are mistaken you can NOT draw both SSI and SS.  Usually the regular SS is the best because you get more money, that is why most folks switch from disability to SS when they retire.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Honored Contributor

@software wrote:

Disability doesn't end at retirement age.

It may be reduced, but if the person is still disabled and at full retirement age, they will draw both.

@ILoveFragrance

I believe that if you are drawing a Social Security Disability check, when you become of age to draw Social Security, your payments amount stay the same.  It just switches from being called Disability to being called Social Security.  You do not draw both. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Imaoldhippie wrote:

@software  You are mistaken you can NOT draw both SSI and SS.  Usually the regular SS is the best because you get more money, that is why most folks switch from disability to SS when they retire.

That must have changed recently because when I worked in the business office of a nursing home, many patients drew both.

There are cases when people can draw both.

Esteemed Contributor

A person can draw more than one type of disability.

Your federal disability insurance ends when you turn 65 and you go on regular medicare.

She may not be comparing apples to apples!

There is also more than one type of retirement.  Many states have their own retirement funds.

Take her info with a grain of salt!

Valued Contributor

SSI & SSD are not the same thing. SSI is means based. If you draw a very small SSD check it may be suplemented with a SSI check. Both are for disability.

Esteemed Contributor

In certain circumstances you can collect SSI and SSDI at the same time (called concurrent benefits). This happens when a disability applicant is approved for SSDI

but receives a low monthly payment.