Respected Contributor

Re: Social Security Help, Please?

@catter70 wrote:

If he's still going to continue working, he should hold off collecting if he can as he will receive more money when he does collect after he retires. Also, if he makes too much money while collecting, they penalize you. You would have to check to see what the cap is without being penalized. After age 70, you can earn as much as you want without being penalized.

You can collect your SS without penalty while still working as long as you have reached your full SS retirement age.

It is true that the longer you delay collecting the more you will get when you do start. However, every situation is different and there are no "shoulds" for everyone.

I retired at age 69 and collected my full SS for over three years - we used the extra income to pay off our mortgage.

Respected Contributor

@vermint , sorry for the misinfo. I was thinking that delaying collecting past your full retirement age, your benefit increases by 8%  per year until age 70. My bad.

Respected Contributor

@catter70  I think you're right about that...what I was talking about is that at age 66 (based on his birthdate), he can start collecting without "penalty" since he is still working.

Honored Contributor

Why didn't he just take that letter into your local SSA office?  He could have callend the SSA customer service line.    

Honored Contributor

I helped a friend apply for her SSA retirement benefits, I was pleasantly surprised that we could do it all online.  She never had to go into the SSA office at all.  She stopped working at 66 but it surprised me to see that she could have continued working and still received her full SSA check.  I didn't know that but it does explain why so many people of retirement age continue to work full time.  They bank those SSA checks or use the money to repair their homes or in the case of another friend, help out with college tuition for a grandchild.  

Respected Contributor

@chrystaltree  He tried...but the local offices (one in GA and one in SC) said they did not deal with people who are continuing to work while receiving SS checks...only those who were retiring. I have no idea what possible difference that would make (but I also wasn't there, so I don't know "exactly" what was said, you know?). My DH sometimes hears things that aren't actually said, if that makes sense.

Anyway, I've told him some things to do based on advice given here, so now the ball is in his court. He's got to learn to deal with certain things himself...I may not always be around to do it for him!

Esteemed Contributor

@vermint :  If you didn't mistype, your 25 Feb deadline has already passed.  Call your Congress person's telephone number (the number is on your Congress person's website). This liaison person can quickly straighten this out.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@vermint wrote:

@chrystaltree  He tried...but the local offices (one in GA and one in SC) said they did not deal with people who are continuing to work while receiving SS checks...only those who were retiring. I have no idea what possible difference that would make (but I also wasn't there, so I don't know "exactly" what was said, you know?). My DH sometimes hears things that aren't actually said, if that makes sense.

Anyway, I've told him some things to do based on advice given here, so now the ball is in his court. He's got to learn to deal with certain things himself...I may not always be around to do it for him!

@vermint He must be my husbands brother from another mother!

My husband is Medicare eligible this month.

Back in early February I said to him he had to get his butt in gear and take care of things and he said to me "I thought WE did all this"!
No, WE did not do anything since it's not WE that is Medicare eligible.

I did the research, it's up to you to make the phone calls.  WE cannot take care of your sign up.  I know what I need to do for myself until I am eligible.

If I go first he's in a heap of trouble...

Trusted Contributor

You are able to make as much money as you can AFTER your Social Security maturity date. You are limited before that. The maturity date differs with what age you are.

Don't wait. I didn't. That extra money has been invaluable. I work full-time and my present SS benefit is as much as I would've collected if I'd waited til age 70 to collect. As you are working you are still paying in and each year your monthly benefit is adjusted.

Trusted Contributor

@vermint, I'm a retired SSA Claims Examiner, and I believe your husband was given misinformation. He can visit any Social Security office. It doesn't have to be the one nearest to your home or work.

I think he should try calling the 800 number. The system should reflect what information is needed, and he might be able to take care of things that way. If that's unsuccessful, he should contact his representative in Congress as @patbz  recommended, and let him/her get things moving. Congressional inquiries are given priority over other routine work.