Honored Contributor

Re: Social Security Advice needed

I don't know about how the disability aspect works, but I am collecting on my husband's social security BUT I had to be full retirement age--66--to do so.  Otherwise, my only other option was to start collecting early on my account which has a big financial impact down the road.

Esteemed Contributor

@DecorDiva wrote:

@shell garden wrote:

@tansy wrote:

@shell garden wrote:

@tansy wrote:

@saltysails wrote:

So, if the spouse takes SS at 62 through her husband's SS, wouldn't she get less than half since she is taking it early?  Also if she takes it early and out lives her husband, can she take his at 100% at his death, even though she took SS early or will it also be reduced?

Yes, the wife gets less than half if she takes the benefit before full retirement age.  Yes, at this time, if she outlives the husband, she receives his full benefit.

EXACTLY, TANSY!  That is what the SS said to me!  I received my own benefits 2 years ago at age 62....When and if my ex passes before me, I will go back and claim 100% of his!  

If this is not true, then that SS REP LIED TO ME, lol!  😄 Whatever, I am blessed, I am grateful and I am happy!  

I'm happy for you, shell but I am surprised that an ex-spouse collects the ex's full benefit when he dies.  A person can be married to a lot of people for ten years!!

LOL, TANSY....2 things.....

1)....you can not have remarried unless you were over 62!  If, you remarried before age 62, you lose the ex's benefits!

2)... If you did wait until after you were 62, you would still have to wait and be married 10 years from each marriage to claim the benefits from an ex...We may not have that many years left to invest, lol!  Besides, you can only claim one, not ALL ex spouses!    HEY...I ain't Zsa Zsa or Taylor, lol!

@tansy - And now you see why the system is going broke!  Multiple people collecting on one person's earnings.  And it's not just with the divorce benefits. 

WELL, we were NOT the one's who implemented the rules and regulations of SS benefits, but my GOODNESS GRACIOUS, those of us who worked all these years and paid into SS should receive something for all our diligent hard work!  Geez, don't penalize the hard workers!  

Occasional Contributor

If you are divorced, but your marriage lasted 10 years or longer, you can receive benefits on your ex-spouse's record (even if he or she has remarried) if:

• You are unmarried;
  • You are age 62 or older;
  • Your ex-spouse is entitled to Social Security retirement or disability benefits and
  • The benefit you are entitled to receive based on your own work is less than the benefit you would receive based on your ex-spouse's work.

Note: Your benefit as a divorced spouse is equal to one-half of your ex-spouse's full retirement amount (or disability benefit) if you start receiving benefits at your full retirement age. The benefits do not include any delayed retirement credits your ex-spouse may receive

https://www.ssa.gov/planners/retire/divspouse.html

Honored Contributor

@DecorDiva wrote:

@shell garden wrote:

@tansy wrote:

@shell garden wrote:

@tansy wrote:

@saltysails wrote:

So, if the spouse takes SS at 62 through her husband's SS, wouldn't she get less than half since she is taking it early?  Also if she takes it early and out lives her husband, can she take his at 100% at his death, even though she took SS early or will it also be reduced?

Yes, the wife gets less than half if she takes the benefit before full retirement age.  Yes, at this time, if she outlives the husband, she receives his full benefit.

EXACTLY, TANSY!  That is what the SS said to me!  I received my own benefits 2 years ago at age 62....When and if my ex passes before me, I will go back and claim 100% of his!  

If this is not true, then that SS REP LIED TO ME, lol!  😄 Whatever, I am blessed, I am grateful and I am happy!  

I'm happy for you, shell but I am surprised that an ex-spouse collects the ex's full benefit when he dies.  A person can be married to a lot of people for ten years!!

LOL, TANSY....2 things.....

1)....you can not have remarried unless you were over 62!  If, you remarried before age 62, you lose the ex's benefits!

2)... If you did wait until after you were 62, you would still have to wait and be married 10 years from each marriage to claim the benefits from an ex...We may not have that many years left to invest, lol!  Besides, you can only claim one, not ALL ex spouses!    HEY...I ain't Zsa Zsa or Taylor, lol!

@tansy - And now you see why the system is going broke!  Multiple people collecting on one person's earnings.  And it's not just with the divorce benefits. 

SS has been changing benefits to save money and it was sorely needed.  My SIL collected SS while she was in college under her father's disability SS benefits.  She received enough to live off campus in an apartment and pay for her food, clothing, etc. until she graduated at age 24.

SS also paid for non citizens who never worked in the USA.  I remember a lady coming into the office where I worked looking for health insurance for her mother.  Mom was from the UK and lived there her whole life until she was around 70.  Then she came to the USA to live with her daughter and her American husband.  

She was not eligible for Medicare, so I was looking for an affordable plan for her.  She qualified for a low income plan because her only income was American SS.  I was mad as hello, but had to be nice and not express my feelings.  Can't do this anymore.

Multiple people collecting is not so bad. Children still collect if a parent dies and this protects women who stayed at home to raise children, then found themselves alone because of death or a spouse who left.

The problem with running,out of money is because the millions of baby boomers were paying in and their parents were collecting.  Now the baby boomers are collecting and because we had smaller families than our parents, less people are paying in and more are collecting.

Also SS money is not kept separate... it is dumped into a general fund and is raided by other programs.  This has got to stop.

Honored Contributor

Great advice and you spelled it out in a way I do understand.

I need affordable insurance so I wasn't going to do anything until I can apply for Medicare effective 4/1/18

@Carmie

QVC Customer Care

Honored Contributor

@software

Please, please, please call SS.  Some information given here is absolutely incorrect.

Honored Contributor

I know you mean well & I appreciate your input but please don't pity me for not wanting to be locked into a  job to be at the mercy of their retirement system.    As much as you may worry about the longevity of  SS, any retirement fund can be subject to problems as well.

I've had many wonderful, different jobs, some where I worked directly with upper management, rubbing elbows with some of the smartest, hardworking people I could ever imagine working with.   And I was able to build savings, in  my name, that can't be touched by anyone,   It's mine.   I don't have to apply for it. I don't have to age into it or worry that it will hit my bank account every  month.  I was able to be mobile, changing jobs when I want without the worry of a pension or retirement.    I had a lot of freedom and enjoyed it.   

Everyone's situation is different.   I'm planning on setting a specific budget and SS is going to fund my lifestyle.   My bank account and other assets are my cushion or fun money.   But sadly in my situation, it will probably go for health care.

Don't feel sorry for me.   I am in control of my life, as much as possible.   I will be debt free whether I retire next year or the next.    But I want the maximum possible for my individual situation.

@shell garden

Esteemed Contributor

@software wrote:

I know you mean well & I appreciate your input but please don't pity me for not wanting to be locked into a  job to be at the mercy of their retirement system.    As much as you may worry about the longevity of  SS, any retirement fund can be subject to problems as well.

I've had many wonderful, different jobs, some where I worked directly with upper management, rubbing elbows with some of the smartest, hardworking people I could ever imagine working with.   And I was able to build savings, in  my name, that can't be touched by anyone,   It's mine.   I don't have to apply for it. I don't have to age into it or worry that it will hit my bank account every  month.  I was able to be mobile, changing jobs when I want without the worry of a pension or retirement.    I had a lot of freedom and enjoyed it.   

Everyone's situation is different.   I'm planning on setting a specific budget and SS is going to fund my lifestyle.   My bank account and other assets are my cushion or fun money.   But sadly in my situation, it will probably go for health care.

Don't feel sorry for me.   I am in control of my life, as much as possible.   I will be debt free whether I retire next year or the next.    But I want the maximum possible for my individual situation.

@shell garden

@software...I am sorry I did not mean it that way!  I am sorry you don't like you job and I hope you find a solution to SS retirement that will benefit you the most!  We will still be rooting for you!  

Esteemed Contributor

@saltysails wrote:

@saltysails- I think taking early retirement changes the amount or percentage....