Respected Contributor

I've heard that too re:   NM.   They just opened a huge store at Hudson Yards in NYC.   I hope that doesn't bring on their demise.

Honored Contributor

@happycat wrote:

Surely all of these stores are not folding....maybe some in certain locations?

I know about 8 years ago, our small town was suppose to get a new mall, but the people who were going to build it backed out, saying the economy tanked.

If the shopping here gets any worse, I will buy a sewing maching and try to learn to sew. Its that bad.

Looking over a similar list on the businessinsider site, a lot of these companies have a heavy debt load - sometimes due to a leveraged buyout in their recent past, other times due to an acquisition they made.  The writer suggests they may not make it due to their heavy debt load, i.e. insufficient cash flow to meet their  obligations.  So ... if one reorganizes in bankruptcy and sheds some debt, it could return a stronger company.  .

Other companies on their list are PetSmart, The Fresh Market, Save-A-Lot, Fairway, and Pier 1.

Respected Contributor
@ Drizella
Regarding Steak and Shake- most closed here since early in year. Sign says remodeling but no dumpster etc. They are looking for franchise owners.

I like trying on various styles to see which looks best. Can’t get that on line. I can’t believe the number of trucks delivering on our street each day - at least 4.
No way free shipping will last
Respected Contributor

@SharkE wrote:

Please merciful God not Dillards !!!!!!!!!!!

My Discover credit card doesn't offer their gift cards any more

wahhhhhhhh  Only poopy Kohl's, Penny's, Bed and Bath would interest me out of their gift card list.

Penny's looks like a glorified Goodwill now. Kohl's stuff you may occasionally find something you would wear. Good kitchen items, though.

Carry Playtex bras in the biggie size. Don't buy any jewelry there all junk.

@SharkE I will literally be naked if Dillard's closes.  I love that store.  At least 95% of everything in my closet comes from Dillards.  Woman Sad

Honored Contributor

They are remodeling two malls in the city where I live.  Both are going to be mixed use malls but I still wonder if they will have enough business to support both of them.  

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

bon ton use to have a store in philly but i think that closed years ago. David’s bridal is here in Delaware 1 store have heard it was closing but then something was said it was going to downsize store. My DD got her dress there 10 yrs ago. Charlotte Russe already closed down at the 1 mall we have here in the state. Bebe i think also closed at the mall too. Cinnabon they are always busy at the mall so that is a surprise.

Honored Contributor

It is hard to believe that Neiman Marcus and J Crew are closing all their stores.  I would have to read the article to believe this.

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

Re: So many stores closing

[ Edited ]
Spoiler

To me, Dillard’s is the epitome of a good Department store. They sell real ladies dresses that women of many ages can wear...tasteful styles....and men’s suits and also have nice fine china, etc even though they have made that dept smaller....usually excellent CS. I read they have been having trouble for several years. They have built a few freestanding stores here as they are one of the many stores on the list that have only been in malls in the past. As the malls go...so do the stores within them.
I think there is more than shopping online to blame for the demise of malls.....lack of security and maintenance/ competent management has really taken its toll here.

Honored Contributor
The list was just that...a list. I think the article with more information was from CNBC business
Honored Contributor

Re: So many stores closing

[ Edited ]

I think many of the stores on the list have been hanging on by a thread for a long time. Every Steak and Shake they build here is an a blighted, scary location....no surprise they don’t survive.