Honored Contributor

Shopping at brick/mortar (BM) stores is a pain.  They have limited inventory space - and at a place like Macy's ... you have to go traipsing around the store to find anything.

I mentioned once before ... last time I was at Macy's Herald Square ... I wanted a black pencil skirt.  No luck.   

And ... Macy's has "magical doors on the store."  Shoppers become invisible the moment they pass through them into the store.

------------------

So - grab a cab and come home.  Google black pencil skirts and find just what I want.  In a couple of days I had my skirt.

------------------

B&M stores have had plenty of warning ... get an online presence or perish!   

Respected Contributor

@ALRATIBA Nice for you to be able to order a pencil skirt and have it fit. I would wager most of us have to try clothes and shoes on to get a good fit. The sad thing is that the malls soon will be empty and left to rot. It is happening everywhere and there are not enough boutique stores where i live to take up the slack. How do people purchase dresses for weddings and special occasions? Everyone can't order these garments on line. 

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@50Mickey 

Re malls ... their demise is sort of cosmic justice.  What they did to Mom&Pop and downtown ... online shopping is doing to them.  I can't sympathize.

I don't have any issue with fit when I buy online.  I know my measurements, I can read size charts and know how much ease I want in my clothes.   And, I generally shop at the same places - so I know how their clothes fit me.

Shoes aren't a problem.  I do have a high instep - so I know the styles I have to avoid.  

Re dresses for special occasions - lots of weddings happening ... so obviously they found a source.  

For me for special occasions ...  have a "uniform" ... several little black dresses that I can accessorize for the occasion.  No need to buy a new dress each time.

-------------------------------------------

@50Mickey wrote:

@ALRATIBA Nice for you to be able to order a pencil skirt and have it fit. I would wager most of us have to try clothes and shoes on to get a good fit. The sad thing is that the malls soon will be empty and left to rot. It is happening everywhere and there are not enough boutique stores where i live to take up the slack. How do people purchase dresses for weddings and special occasions? Everyone can't order these garments on line. 

Honored Contributor

@50Mickey  and everyone. I would start with H or Q because they give garment sizes. I always check  those agaisnt the sizing charts

You can also send back for a different size for free. Once you do it a few times ,you will be confident..I rarely have to return anything, including shoes

It is a great way to shop for bargains too

Respected Contributor

@cherry  I have to ask what is H and Q? Home Shopping and QVC maybe?

Honored Contributor

Re: So many store closing

[ Edited ]

HSN and QVC..I was afraid to shop this way for a long time. Once I started I would never go back to the other way of shopping

Take your measurements and find your size. Next check out the garment measurements for your size. You will want a few inches bigger than your measurements,  so the garment isn't skin tight

Both Q and H give garment sizes @50Mickey 

Honored Contributor

It's interesting watching Walmart trying to take on Amazon.  I have problems with both of them as they are not always kind to their workers but overall WM has got to be kidding that they think they will ever overtake Amazon.  WM has squeezed every last dime out of their workforce resulting in a poor customer experience.  Amazon has always been customer focused so their consumers are for the most part always pleased with their experience (the downside being how they treat their employees especially warehouse workers like rats in a maze as other warehouse centric companies do).  

I try and avoid both if I can but to be honest sometimes I need the price break.  Smiley Sad

Respected Contributor

@ALRATIBA     You've got Macy's down pat. The last time I was there I stood at the Customer Service counter for 10 minutes while all the people working there refused to make eye contact with me.

Esteemed Contributor

Surely all of these stores are not folding....maybe some in certain locations?

I know about 8 years ago, our small town was suppose to get a new mall, but the people who were going to build it backed out, saying the economy tanked.

If the shopping here gets any worse, I will buy a sewing maching and try to learn to sew. Its that bad.

Valued Contributor

@drizzellla wrote:

@DearPrudence wrote:

Where did you see that list?  It seems most of those stores have already closed down or are cutting back on the number of stores, which has been going on for a while.

Speaking of closing down, today I attended a sporting event for one of the grandkids and decided to stop and pick up lunch at the local Steak N Shake.  Discovered it was closed.

The dumpster blocking the drive thru lane was my first clue. It must have just happened because I was there a couple of weeks ago.

Was the Steak N Shake in Warminster, PA?

They built a new Steak N Shake on Street Road. It was open one day and there was a fire. It has been closed ever since. We are guessing that there is a problem between the contractor, owner and insurance.

PS - That is interesting. David's Bridal just redid the store near my house. Completely remodeled the store. And a new Vitamin Shoppe opened across the street from David's Bridal.

@drizzellla  The Steak N Shake is in a NW suburb of Chicago.  There wasn't a fire-it's  closed while they try to sell it to a franchisee for $10,000 down and 50% of the profits (according to a sign in the window).