Honored Contributor

@Peaches McPhee wrote:

@Susan Louise wrote:

Forget about Antarctica...

I wonder nowadays what % of high school graduates in the US even know the 50 stares, where they are and at minimum, the capitol of each. I knew all of them by 3rd/4th grade...

Goodness..  I'm 61 and never learned the Capitols. And I m sure I could not name all the states on an unmarked map.

The way I learned the capitols was in the game Topography - a board game with a big picture of the US. You  had to stick a toothpick in the capitol (there were several holes and different cities-you had to find the right one). There was an hourglass-you had a certain amount of time to do it. Can't remember what the winner had done, lol. I bet all the kids in our neighborhood knew their capitols!!!

Honored Contributor

What do they teach in school these days???  

Honored Contributor

I don't understand how you can be in your 20s and not know where Antarctica is.  Even if you never learned it in school (although you were probably taught it), it seems it would be general knowledge by the time you were an adult.

Honored Contributor

I haven't read the whole thread but some have no interest in schooling. My close friend who was born in 1955 was surprised when one day a few years ago I mentioned the sun rising in the east and setting in the west. She was surprised. She said she had no idea. And believe it or not she was very smart. Just not school wise.

Respected Contributor

Re: So Where IS Antarctica?

[ Edited ]

@Sooner wrote:

@Kalli wrote:

In truth, there was a lot I didn’t know when I graduated from HS. My K-12 education was just the beginning.

Right now, I’m more concerned with young folks showing respect for others, treating others with compassion and understanding the importance of being able to delay gratification.

@Kalli If they are as dumb as some of these bunnies are they will have to delay gratification when they become adults.  

And as far as schools, all we hear is how underpaid teachers are and how overburdened.  If that's the case somebody should be worrying about finding out why our kids aren't learning in school.  WHAT is holding them back and burdening teachers at the same time?

Something is very very wrong here!   It simply doesn't add up does it? 

If you want to know, "WHAT is holding them back and burdening teachers at the same time?" Read this. As a retired teacher, I find it very accurate.  This, government bureaucracy and the idea from some parents that it's  the sole responsibility of the teacher to educate THEIR child!

SMH!Amber Lynn - A day in the life of a teacher... Me: Ok class,... | Facebook
https://m.facebook.com/amber.guerreiro/posts/10157929216059365

"Kindness is like snow ~It beautifies everything it covers"
-Kahlil Gibran
Respected Contributor

Re: So Where IS Antarctica?

[ Edited ]

As a retired teacher I saw first hand what is happening in the schools. It began in Texas with a list of essential elements that must be mastered at each grade level. A test is administered in Spring to show mastery. The governor of Texas who became President helped promote this practice nationally. Teaching the basics to even elementary students was overshadowed by the looming tests coming in the Spring. Teachers, Principals, and Districts are judged for their effectiveness based on scores. Since teachers are not self-employed they have no choice but to focus on the tested skills.  Texas purchases so many textbooks it drives the content many companies include in their subject matter. Other states will adopt these texts. 

When I first began teaching the first few days were focused on social skills, health matters (washing hands after restroom, not putting mouth on water fountain, etc.), how to cooperate in the classroom, and enjoying learning. The lower elementary curriculum was primarily reading, penmanship, math, geography, and beginning science/health. That has all changed. State politics is driving education today.

Honored Contributor

@Desertdi wrote:

I'm in Phoenix.......most of my "pals back East" don't believe I have electricity and running water....    

@Desertdi   I'm in New Mexico and it's not unusual to encounter someone who thinks we're a foreign country.  I bet only a small percentage of Americans could find us on a map. 

Americans have a dismal knowledge of geography. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@On It    You are absolutely correct.  I lived in Texas when that happened and saw it come about.  This is a state where an elite committee chooses the textbooks and make front-page news.  Test results make or break a teacher. It's all about the scores. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@Desertdi wrote:

I'm in Phoenix.......most of my "pals back East" don't believe I have electricity and running water....    

@Desertdi   I'm in New Mexico and it's not unusual to encounter someone who thinks we're a foreign country.  I bet only a small percentage of Americans could find us on a map. 

Americans have a dismal knowledge of geography. 

@Kachina624     Aha!    That must be why cars and smart phones have GPS nowadays.    

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Valued Contributor

@On It  and @Kachina624  So true. Teach to the high stakes test is the goal in Florida, too. A lot of pressure, little support. Subjects not on the test are pushed aside especially in lower performing schools who struggle to get the basics needed to pass 3rd grade test or be retained. Retired in 2019 after 44 years and saw many changes over the years. 

Map and globe skills taught in k-2 curriculum..

Many years ago (These kids are graduating college this year!), I was teaching 1st grade  gifted. We had no social studies textbooks at the level so I used TIME magazine for kids.  After reading about Antarctica and the Arctic, students had to tell ways they were different. One student wrote that Antarctica had penguins but the Arctic had Elvis. I called him up and asked
Elvis? Elvis??

Yes, Elvis. You know, Elvis and Santa Claus. 
LOL before there was LOL!

Taught 4/5 th grade gifted for many years. When identifying continents on a map, Antarctica was routinely spelled without the first C!