Respected Contributor

How Sad !! what are people thinking ???

I am watching the local news, there is a amber alert for a 3 mo baby missing. The mom pulled into the driveway of a friend's  home left the baby in the van, keys in the ignition and someone stole the van with the baby in it.  She was being interviewed by the news media and crying for the return of the baby saying they could keep the van. I feel so bad for her and praying the baby is found safe and returned to her mom.

But I can't help wondering why people in this day and age would be so careless and leave a baby or child in a car and leave the keys in the ignition to go in anywhere !!   I don't care if it's for a split second.   Idiots are everywhere !!  I pray for that baby's safe return to her mom. You never hear about  someone stealing a car with a vicious dog left in it !

Respected Contributor

Re: How Sad !! what are people thinking ???

I rather wonder if a woman who would leave her baby AND car keys in the van is a worthwhile mother. 

Respected Contributor

@Goodie2shoes It also happened not too long ago here in the SF Bay Area.  Once the car thief learns figures out that a baby is on board, they will probably ditch the car or drop the baby off at a safe location.

Honored Contributor

I was always so careful with this kind of thing when I had a young child. I wouldn't even lock the car at the gas station and go in to pay. I'd get gas when he wasn't with me, or use a credit card at the pump. 

I think people do things like this, nothing goes wrong.......until it does. 

How terrifying, when you know you have messed up and caused something bad to happen to your child. I don't wish that on anyone. We all make mistakes and cut corners. It only takes one time for things to go terribly wrong. 

Hope it is resolved positively. 

Respected Contributor

Stupidity.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Many, many years ago people did not have to worry about such.  When I was a youngster, we traveled a lot.  There were 4 of us.  Mom had to drive all hours day and night, often, to reach her destination.  There were no motel 6 areas and motels were scarce and lodging on the road almost non-existent.  

We had left Arkansas on our way to Tacoma, Washington.  My siblings and I were left in the car while Mom got gas at a small station (I think if memory serves) in Colorado.  The siblings went to the bathroom and I wanted some candy (those days service stations had little candy stands).  I was about 3-4.  Mom was back in the car after paying and my siblings all went to sleep.  When she arrived in Idaho, she realized she needed more gas and wanted to check to see if anyone needed to potty.  The kids all piled out and she asked "Where is Baby?"  "I think she is in that service station..."  said the oldest one of the siblings.  Mom had not realized she had left me in the station and driven off.  She was panic-stricken.  She remembered the name of the town and called the police department.  

It was said I was sitting on the counter with the very nice little man, the owner.  I don't remember all the details but I do remember her leaving me and I was not that upset.  I guess I knew she would return.  She did and it was a very happy moment.  My mother cried and cried and I did not understand why she cried. 

Honored Contributor

@Nonametoday - You must have been frightened at the time, but thank goodness you were too young to be still dealing with it today! Your mom must have been frantic too.

My friends used to laugh because I wouldn't even park in front of our small post office, run in quickly, and leave my sleeping child in the car seat. I would never leave them in the car, even if it was locked, even if they were sound asleep. They always came with me, no matter what!

I will pray this baby is found soon, and I hope this mother will be more careful in the future! 

Esteemed Contributor

@Sushismom wrote:

I rather wonder if a woman who would leave her baby AND car keys in the van is a worthwhile mother. 

@Sushismom  ... my thoughts exactly 😪

Respected Contributor

This sounds like what happened in the Atlanta area last week. The mom is a single mother who is trying support herself and her child by working for doordash. She said she delivers meals at night so that her child can go with her and sleep in her car seat. It was a residential neighborhood and she felt safe leaving the car running while she went to the door. She had her keys in her pocket. Turns out it was a set up. Fake meal order called in so that the car of the delivery driver could be stolen.  Fourteen year old teen was arrested. Great news is that the baby was found hours later safe and sound on a neighborhood porch.  The mom knows that she make a mistake and has since quit doordash. 

This may be a different story but it sounds very similar. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Goodie2shoesasked:  But I can't help wondering why people in this day and age would be so careless and leave a baby or child in a car and leave the keys in the ignition to go in anywhere !!  

How many people think they live in a dangerous area or think this could happen to me?

To some degree when we are in familiar surroundings, going about normal day to day activities, we let our guard down and a false sense of security takes over.

Believe it or not there are still communities where people don't lock their doors, leave their vehicles unlocked often with the keys in the ignition and even pick up hitchhikers.  Why?  Because they live in "safe" places--things like that don't happen here.

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.