Valued Contributor

Re: So Where IS Antarctica?

[ Edited ]

And, to those who bemoan the loss of cursive writing (in Florida curriculum but not all do it) I taught cursive using the states and capitals. Killed 2 birds with one stone!

Trusted Contributor

@QVCkitty1 

I agree.  And of course this is not all students/people.

Georgraphy and history are taught in school. 

Even when I was in school,long ago, there were students with a lot of interest in other places in the world or even other parts of this country, and others were just content in their own little world.

Honored Contributor

Hey Google! 

Honored Contributor

@beach-mom wrote:

I was watching a quiz show last night. Two girls, probably in their 20's, had no idea what Antarctica is!

Where did we go wrong? It's only going to get worse. Smiley Sad

@beach-mom 

With the exceptions of Jeopardy, Master Minds or the show Common Knowledge (which isn't very common) some of the contestants on other so called quiz shows seem totally CLUELESS on just basic facts information..... SMH! 

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Respected Contributor

@Susan Louise wrote:

Forget about Antarctica...

I wonder nowadays what % of high school graduates in the US even know the 50 stares, where they are and at minimum, the capitol of each. I knew all of them by 3rd/4th grade...

About 20 years ago we were moving from California to Rhode Island. While in Costco one day I asked the girl at customer service if there was a Costco in Rhode Island. She said "what state is that in?.

Honored Contributor

Re: So Where IS Antarctica?

[ Edited ]

So many of these posts remind of a bunch of coots sitting on a porch mourning the downfall of all but their own generation. Smiley Happy

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

Capital vs. Capitol

Just sayin'.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

@skatting44 wrote:

@happycat wrote:

I had someone tell me today, that the reason my bill was 500.00 instead of the 400.00 they had quoted me was because of tax. They do not add tax on to the quotes. I told her tax shouldn't be 100.00 on 400.00. 

It's just gonna get worse, makes me wanna be a prepper. 

apparently Math which is a pure science is now under attack. 2+2 does not equal 4 anymore .  So who knows what  your  bill  will be.

@skatting44 

Yep.   I'll say no more or it will poof.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Trusted Contributor

@Nonametoday That's quite a story! I know what you mean, though. It can be hard to let go of feeling bad when I say something in anger. We all do that every now and then. But if my remark felt unkind to you, I'm really sorry.

I hope you know I said it in laughter! The image of looking for a continent on Aisle 13 made me laugh, anyway. Thanks for setting me straight if it didn't come across that way.

Honored Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

So many of these posts remind of a bunch of coots sitting on a porch mourning the downfall of all but their own generation. Smiley Happy

I am ashamed to admit I do not know how many bushels of wheat would fit in that wagon from that 1890s test. The great great great grandparental ancestors must be shaking their heads over how far we have fallen.

And they must be scandalized by our decadent ability to access a complete reference library at the touch of a button or a carefully worded Alexa query. Just like I am sure that the first physical encyclopedias shocked and horrified the great great great great great etc grandparents back in the 1700s.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr