Esteemed Contributor

.....So, Long Story Short.....

Have you ever noticed that when someone is telling a story, and it goes on and on and on, they will say, "So, long story short...." ?

In my head I think, "Too late!" .

Then the story continues for another five minutes!

😆 😄 😆 😄 😆 😄

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Honored Contributor

Re: .....So, Long Story Short.....

@Anonymous032819 My husband will start a story and he goes off the deep end.  He starts at the very beginning but as soon as his lips start moving, he gets sidetracked and then every little detail and every little piece of information not necessary to the story starts and I have learned to stop him well before he gets too involved (like 1 minute or less) and say "let's fast forward to the END of the story," or if I let him go on and on I'll say "is there a point to this story?"  

Honored Contributor

I can so relate!  I have a dear friend who does exactly that!!!!!!!!  And fairly often also!  Luckily, she's a dear, dear, dear person! 

Honored Contributor

Can  you imagine how long the story would really be if they didn't cut it short???  LOL

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Esteemed Contributor

I have a Cousin that I talk to that does this... I could probably put the phone down and walk away and make dinner and she wouldn't even notice.

Respected Contributor

Oh dear....I knew a man who did the same thing!  He would be conveying a simple story, like "I saw a deer next to the mailbox today ".....and it would take him 15 minutes to get to that punch line!

At parties people would try not to sit by him, it was so bad.

He was a very nice person and his wife was a good friend, so I just went along with it!  But she did the same thing as another poster mentioned...would say something like, "And what happened at the end?" to move things along.  

Honored Contributor

My DH is an engineer and a very 'tech' kinda guy, so the simplest question can end up being a lesson in quantum psychics.

After 25 years together, I just kinda let my eyes glaze over during his dissertation and when he's done, I say "So was that a yes or a no?"

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Esteemed Contributor

Don't complain too much!  The conversations around here are like, "Cool this morning, nice morning for a walk!" and off they go!

Valued Contributor

@rms1954 @KingstonsMom 

I got a chuckle and thought "Are you both my SIL's?", lol! You both described DH and his brothers!

Esteemed Contributor

@rms1954 wrote:

@Anonymous032819 My husband will start a story and he goes off the deep end.  He starts at the very beginning but as soon as his lips start moving, he gets sidetracked and then every little detail and every little piece of information not necessary to the story starts and I have learned to stop him well before he gets too involved (like 1 minute or less) and say "let's fast forward to the END of the story," or if I let him go on and on I'll say "is there a point to this story?"  

we must be married to the same guy!!!