Honored Contributor

Re: .....So, Long Story Short.....

DH does the same thing and he gets mad if I try and fast-forward him.
Honored Contributor

My DH doesn't talk much at all...at home.  I am sure when he is with his buddy's his mouth goes a mile a minute.

He worked as a police officer for 35 years.  Every once in a while somone would stop me and ask about something that happened and I would say I didn't have a clue what they were talking about.  I know they thought I was being evasive and lying, but I wasn't.

My DH doesn't tell stories.  My father didn't either.  It's like pulling teeth to get info.

I have a "friend" who talks a lot about people I don't know.  She calls them by their first name and doesn't give me many background info on them....example:  She will talk about Marsha and go on and on...two weeks later I find out that Marsha is the lady who works in the pharmacy.

Most of the time I just pretend I am listening to her or try to change the subject...half an hour later, she remembers she didn't get to finish her story and off she goes again.   She is the wife of my husband's best friend.  They often go somewhere and leave me alone with her. She is a very nice lady, but boy, can she talk about nothing.

Honored Contributor

Yes, how true.  And a lot of times DH goes on and on with something that he thinks is a very exciting story and I'm thinking --- hmmm --- I could clean out an entire closet by the time he gets to the real point of it!  However, often when I am wanting to tell him a story, he expects me to be able to tell it to him in like 5 words or less!  Why is that, do you suppose??? Woman Wink

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Super Contributor

@GenXmuse wrote:

There's some posters on this board with that same problem!

So true!

There are several posters that when I see they post,I just scroll by.

Why so long all the time?!

Trusted Contributor

There are people who are too wordy and those who talk painfully slow.  But we can't all be witty and quick.  Too bad there's not an island for the witty and quick with society's bores living somewhere else. haha 

Honored Contributor

@wilma wrote:

@KingstonsMom wrote:

My DH is an engineer and a very 'tech' kinda guy, so the simplest question can end up being a lesson in quantum psychics.

After 25 years together, I just kinda let my eyes glaze over during his dissertation and when he's done, I say "So was that a yes or a no?"

@KingstonsMom 

I’m also married to an engineer. Can so relate to your comments. 

Lol..... @wilma  and @KingstonsMom  -  Add me to the list - my hubs is an engineer also and the same situation here!

Honored Contributor

I kind of envy women who are married to talkative husbands. Mine is very quiet and not into elaborating anything. He has a wicked, dry sense of humor, though, so when he actually says anything, he can be quite entertaining...

Respected Contributor

I think I'm one of the long story people.  When I tell someone something that happened, I give details.  I want the person to be able to picture it. Uh oh.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I remind myself they may need someone to just listen to them.  I can try and do that.  Some day, I may need someone to listen to me.  

I'm trying to do better and be more patient. I have my moments of impatience too and have to remind myself to behave in the same way I would if it was my beloved mother.

Honored Contributor

@Anonymous032819 wrote:

Have you ever noticed that when someone is telling a story, and it goes on and on and on, they will say, "So, long story short...." ?

In my head I think, "Too late!" .

Then the story continues for another five minutes!

😆 😄 😆 😄 😆 😄

@Anonymous032819 

For some strange reason it seems like you might be talking to me. But, in self defense, that is not a phrase I remember using. I just keep talking or typing, then maybe say, "that was long, even for me", or "if anyone has read this far". 

I have said "my short version", and of course it is still longer than most, but still short for me. You could have added my @ along with your thread, I get your humor and love it.

hckynut  🥅🏒

hckynut(john)