Honored Contributor

Re: Smithfield - Iconic American brand?

For the 'real' truth about Smithfield, google Peta's undercover video of their treatment of the animals.

But I warn you, it's horrific beyond comprehension....mine anyway.

I haven't bought any of their products since and I never will.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@KingstonsMom wrote:

For the 'real' truth about Smithfield, google Peta's undercover video of their treatment of the animals.

Not to say any slaughterhouse is something most of us can view without disgust.  PETA has blood on their hands too.....  Stealing pets from porches in VA and their shelters have a 90 percent kill rate.

Respected Contributor

While I try not to buy food grown or processed in China, It's getting harder to tell.  China has purchased many of the name brands you have in your kitchen.  Unless you grow it  yourself or buy from a local farmer labels are confusing.

Honored Contributor

@esmeraldagooch wrote:

@KingstonsMom wrote:

Not to say any slaughterhouse is something most of us can view without disgust.  PETA has blood on their hands too.....  Stealing pets from porches in VA and their shelters have a 90 percent kill rate.

@esmeraldagooch

Where did I say that I support PETA either? 

I saw their undercover video, which is exactly what I said, with no mention that I support them or not.

But 2 wrongs don't make a right.

BTW, this was a far cry from "slaughterhouse conditions", in that video.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Esteemed Contributor

Is this guy for real? What incredible nonsense. Their Chinese-owned inedibly salty cr@p is totally unAmerican.

Honored Contributor

Here's how we approach it in our home.

If we know a food product has any connection to China, we don't buy it. I feel they can't be trusted based on past history with pet foods and the like, so we won't knowingly take a chance, even if they claim that all products are grown, slaughtered, processed in the US, never leaving the country. I just don't trust them and choose to not find out the hard way that they were less than truthful.

There is a huge movement of local foods, and many great American food companies still held here, so we will make other choices. 

I don't really like even buying a can opener made in China, I'd rather support an American business if I can, but I will definitely draw the line with my food.

Trusted Contributor

I won't buy food from Asia either but how do we know that the chicken we are buying hasn't been processed in China?

I don't have access to freshly butchered meat unless I go to Amish country and they mostly sell sides of beef around here, not chickens.  Does the package of chicken say on the label "processed in China", are they even required to do so?

I'm done with P.C. Just say what you mean and mean what you say. It's easier.
Trusted Contributor

Just because a Chinese company bought Smithfield does not mean that the food comes from China.  Believe it or not, Chinese investment firms are allowed to own businesses in this country.  While I am not making accusations, I have found that many times, those refusing to buy these products do not have food safety as their top priority.

Additionally, I find the animal rights arguments silly.  While I can understand being concerned about animal welfar, if one eats meat coming from any slaughterhouse, the animals are likely to be treated less-than-humanely.  It is a fact of life -- something we should strive to change, but let's be realistic.

There are many reasons not to like this company -- not the least of which is its treatment of its workers, but getting back to the OP's post, one could consider this an iconic brand == at least it once was.  Its image may have become tarnished, but for a long time ,it was known for quality products, particularly hams.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@KYToby wrote:

Just because a Chinese company bought Smithfield does not mean that the food comes from China.  Believe it or not, Chinese investment firms are allowed to own businesses in this country.  While I am not making accusations, I have found that many times, those refusing to buy these products do not have food safety as their top priority.

Additionally, I find the animal rights arguments silly.  While I can understand being concerned about animal welfar, if one eats meat coming from any slaughterhouse, the animals are likely to be treated less-than-humanely.  It is a fact of life -- something we should strive to change, but let's be realistic.

There are many reasons not to like this company -- not the least of which is its treatment of its workers, but getting back to the OP's post, one could consider this an iconic brand == at least it once was.  Its image may have become tarnished, but for a long time ,it was known for quality products, particularly hams.

OMG.  Sometimes you have good points, but with this you are incredibly far off.  Your lack of compassion speaks volumes.    You say you find animal rights arguments "silly."  I am sure no animal would ever agree with you, and many human beings believe your stance on this is "silly."  And we are all in the animal kingdom.   

There is a very large difference between how this company treats its animals and how other animals raised for consumption are treated.  

It is not the consumption that is wrong, it is any inhumane treatment of those animals.    For you to not see that and to speak against it, and to come here with your constant refrain of "get over it" is _____________ (fill in the blank with your choice of apprpriate epithets).

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

By taking some time to get the right info  about the sale of Smithfield to the Chinese company, you would learn that the Chinese company bought it in order to provide China with a more plentiful pork supply, where pork is very popular and important in the country's diet.  Smithfield sold itself because it needed a strong financial backer.

No pork is being imported from China.  That would be a pretty inefficient and expensive way to obtain pork, considering hogs are raised and processed extensively in the U.S. already.

And by the way, Smithfield isn't in trouble with the U.S. government for its meat processing practices, but another major U.S. pork processor definitely is at the moment.  Before throwing stones, know where to aim them by doing some simple research.