Honored Contributor

Re: Smithfield - Iconic American brand?

@novamc1 wrote:

By taking some time to get the right info  about the sale of Smithfield to the Chinese company, you would learn that the Chinese company bought it in order to provide China with a more plentiful pork supply, where pork is very popular and important in the country's diet.  Smithfield sold itself because it needed a strong financial backer.

No pork is being imported from China.  That would be a pretty inefficient and expensive way to obtain pork, considering hogs are raised and processed extensively in the U.S. already.

And by the way, Smithfield isn't in trouble with the U.S. government for its meat processing practices, but another major U.S. pork processor definitely is at the moment.  Before throwing stones, know where to aim them by doing some simple research.

PETA's undercover video showing the abuse of the animals before they are slaughtered, was taken in a US Smithfield plant.

I personally am aware that the meat doesn't come from, nor is processed in China, but I can understand people being concerned about that, since they are owned by a China company.

Smithfield may not be in trouble with the U.S. gov't because of it's "meat processing practices", as you put it, but that says nothing about the abuse prior to slaughter.

The FDA doesn't deal with animal abuse prior to slaughter, just the safe processing of the meat for human consumption.

And I'm sure everything looks hunky-dory, when the FDA or health inspectors show up.

You're not the only one who knows how to do "simple research", as you stated above.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Respected Contributor

Re: Smithfield - Iconic American brand?

Wouldn't touch one with a ten foot pole!