Honored Contributor

@50Mickey wrote:

Those of us who were  alive in June of 1968 remember the scene of Robert Kennedy lying on the floor of the hotel kitchen after being shot in the head by Sirhan Sirhan. I was 18 years old and having lived through the assassination of President Kennedy and Martin Luther King Jr. it felt like our world was crashing down around us. I think Senator Kennedy's children are dishonoring their father's memory. This man should live out his days in prison. 

I remember all three murders too. They were horrendous and our country lost out on a lot, particularly with RFK and MLK. I was devastated.  

RFK's kids have a lot more empathy and compassion than most of us. I don't see any dishonor to RFK. I'm not sure I would be as forgiving but hope I could, especially after 54 years. If only more people had that level of compassion and faith.

Honored Contributor

He should not get released.  Ever.  Any relatives that feel it in their hearts that want to forgive him, can forgive him, and those that can't forgive him, fine.  But he still needs to remain in prison.  I only know that if my father and were gunned down in such a horrific fashion, I would not be inclined to want him released.  Ever.  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

interestingly, one daughter has not spoken out.....kathleen.....and her name is not on that letter.

his wife has not spoken out.

a former aide who was shot has spoken out and is in favor of a release.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

@Cakers3 - My apologies.  I should've split part of my post into a separate one, instead of wrapping it all up together, as I was giving my view of some of the things that have been mentioned in this thread (I've read them all).

However, as to the "age factor", it was cited by the parole board as a reason for granting his release.  I don't believe it should be and there are other cases out there to show it shouldn't be, but that's JMO.

Have a great day!

Honored Contributor

@sunshine45 wrote:

interestingly, one daughter has not spoken out.....kathleen.....and her name is not on that letter.

his wife has not spoken out.

a former aide who was shot has spoken out and is in favor of a release.

Paul Schrade was the aide who claims there was a conspiracy to protect a second shooter - despite Sirhan repeatedly admitting he was the shooter and that hasn't changed over the years.

Scrade was also hit in the head by the first bullet and admits knowing nothing until he woke up in hospital the next day.   (Others thought he was dead.)

It seems that whenever there's a high profile case like this, conspiracy theories abound.

Trusted Contributor

I saw a report that said Gov Newsom has to approve the recommendations of the parole board....haven't heard any more details about that. When is his release effective? I am just beyond surprised he will be getting out. I would have a hard time sleeping if I were a Kennedy, no matter how far removed I was.

Honored Contributor

Re: Sirhan Sirhan

[ Edited ]

Charles Manson had an ideological motive for the crimes he directed his followers to commit.

Both murderers should stay in prison where they belong.

Edited to add: this is incorrect, because one of these two is dead.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Respected Contributor

@Porcelain wrote:

Charles Manson had an ideological motive for the crimes he directed his followers to commit.

Charles Manson is dead.

“The soul is healed by being with children.”
— Fyodor Dostoyevsky
Honored Contributor

@Venezia wrote:

@Cakers3 - There were enough people who saw Sirhan shoot RFK and others, including his bodyguard William Barry, writer George Plimpton and former NFL player Rosey Grier.  They were the ones who tackled and disarmed him.

The gun was identified as the murder weapon and verified as having been purchased by Sirhan.  The ballistic report matched the bullets to the gun.

And a read of his diary entries about needing to "eliminate" RFK sums it up.

They got the right killer.  As for RFK Jr and his "fantasy" that another shooter was involved - well, his views on some things make for interesting reading.  He's definitely not his father's son and that's all I'm going to say.

I'm hoping the Governor overturns the decision of the two-member California Parole Board.  There is no way in this lifetime that I would trust Sirhan to not commit another atrocity. 

The parole board duo cited his age as a factor in their decision; because of "his age" they think he wouldn't be a threat to society.  Well, in my own state a judge released a man who had violently killed his first wife and then, years later, violently wounded another.

The judge said the man would "age out" of his violent tendencies.  Guess what?  Judge was wrong and the man a few years later killed a woman on the street in front of her young sons.  (I hope that judge can sleep at night.)  Age should not be a factor ever.

Shooting a gun doesn't require strength or youth. There's no aging out of that kind of crime.

"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Honored Contributor

Re: Sirhan Sirhan

[ Edited ]

@mom2four0418 wrote:

@Porcelain wrote:

Charles Manson is dead.

Whoops! LOL Thank you @mom2four0418.

I am not going to remove that. I'm just going to leave it there in it's wrongness, as a warning to all of the dangers of not checking on facts you aren't sure of.

"Charles Manson, (born November 12, 1934, Cincinnati, Ohio, U.S.—died November 19, 2017, Kern county, California), American criminal and cult leader whose followers carried out several notorious murders in the late 1960s."

Clearly he never got parole.