Honored Contributor

Re: Single Diners - Your Thoughts

@sunshine45 wrote:

i enjoy eating alone at times and i have never experienced this problem.

i like to take a book, magazine, or my phone to keep myself occupied.

have never been "denied" a table or discriminated against in that way.

@sunshine45

Ditto .... I love the peace and quiet of a meal without having to keep a conversation going.  I've also never been denied a table .... Hmm .....   I have to think about this one.

Honored Contributor

@onionsoup wrote:

I think I would cry if a restaurant refused to seat me at a good table with a view or any table because I was alone.  That is terrible.  You are a paying customer and should be treated no different than anyone else.  I think a class action suit is justified or a call to the ACLU or if your local news has human interest stories, this one is perfect.  There should be public outrage over this...it is discrimination.  

It is indeed discrimination, but not discrimination that most people would care about. Not newsworthy because whatever doesn’t directly affect someone, they don’t care about.

It’s a decision for the restaurant - behave in a tacky dismissive way or treat every individual customer as if they were the only customer.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

@Reever wrote:

I can't  believe this much discussion is being had about a non issue. No one cares if you are dining alone. If you feel like people are staring at you that's in your head. Most people are too self involved to even notice what others are doing. So sit alone at a table or a bar and enjoy your meal. Restaurants are happy to have your business.

That isn't what she said. She said nothing about people staring at her. What she said is that the better tables are not given to single diners. Fine restaurants have an unwritten rule that single diners are given some of the lesser tables.....not that single diners are lesser. The restaurant makes more $$$$$ from tables of 4. She is not talking about having lunch at Panera. SIGH...

Honored Contributor

@Reever wrote:

I can't  believe this much discussion is being had about a non issue. No one cares if you are dining alone. If you feel like people are staring at you that's in your head. Most people are too self involved to even notice what others are doing. So sit alone at a table or a bar and enjoy your meal. Restaurants are happy to have your business.

@Reever

No one, including the OP, said anything about anyone staring at a single diner.

The issue is about single diners being DENIED A TABLE at some restaurants.

Honored Contributor

@Trinity11 wrote:

@Reever wrote:

That isn't what she said. She said nothing about people staring at her. What she said is that the better tables are not given to single diners. Fine restaurants have an unwritten rule that single diners are given some of the lesser tables.....not that single diners are lesser. The restaurant makes more $$$$$ from tables of 4. She is not talking about having lunch at Panera. SIGH...

@Trinity11

well, definitely not ALL fine restaurants......because i and some others on this thread have not experienced this at all when dining alone.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

@sunshine45 wrote:

@Trinity11 wrote:

@Reever wrote:

@Trinity11

well, definitely not ALL fine restaurants......because i and some others on this thread have not experienced this at all when dining alone.

I did not mean to imply ALL fine restaurants. However, just try and eat at Nobu in Manhattan and come alone. Just see where they will seat you. That goes for many restaurants in the city. I have heard similar complaints from some of my girlfriends as well as my daughter.

Honored Contributor

@Annabellethecat66 wrote:

@Moonchilde I seldom eat by myself.  I have a friend (another widow) and we eat lunch together at least 4 times a week.

However, every now and then I'll get some take out and eat it in my car listening to my radio (I enjoy doing that).

I cannot imagine anyone being made to sit with strangers.  That's unbelievable!  I'm a real people person (I love being around strangers).....BUT (and this is a big but) not while I'm eating and especially not with a bunch of people who are friends....and especially not dinner (need I go on)?

Ugh!  That is just plain crazy to ask that of anyone.  Your (or any single person's money) is the same as anyone else.  If the restaurant doesn't have enough tables (or whatever is the issue) they need to get more tables.

I'd say, "No thank you!  I prefer to eat alone".  There is no way I'd do what someone else wants if it isn't what I want!

If you think I'm blowing hot air you don't know me.  I always speak up if I feel like something isn't right.  That's just crazy.

I've never heard of such a thing.  Good grief!

Um... @Annabellethecat66, I honestly don’t know what post you may be referring to, but I’ve never said anything about being forced to share a table with anyone. The thread is about second-class seating for single diners.

Restaurants would rarely suggest to patrons who are strangers to one another that they should double up at the same table. 

In INformal surroundings, however, when seating is scarce and I manage to snag a table, I often offer that another single person is welcome at my table. I’ve met some nice people that way. And, I’ve had people offer me a seat as well. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Noel7 wrote:

@magicmoodz wrote:

@Moonchilde wrote:

@MickD wrote:

While I've never been refused a table for one.  I would not/have not hogged a 2-4 top with an ocean view...wouldn't feel right.  It is appropriate to sit at a bar and dine as one.....done many a time...and I've met quite a few characters.

Yet I’ve been taken right to a prime ocean view table for four by the hostess who was happy to seat me there - I didn’t even ask or expect it. 

I would never ever “just go sit in the bar.” Heck to the no. I am not an undesirable second-class patron simply because I don’t come in a pair. I have also offered, once I was seated at a prime table for four, to move to a table for two (which wasn’t available when I walked in) when a party of four walked in. 

@Moonchilde

Do you seriously think someone who dines at the bar is an "undesirable second-class patron".

We dine out frequently and often at upscale establishments (never fast food or chain restaurants). We opt to sit at the bar.  As a result we have developed an excellent rapport with all the mixologists who treat us very well along with the managers who never fail to stop by to say hello and ask how everything is.

Different strokes for different folks.   

@magicmoodz

That's not what she said.  " I am not an undesirable second-class patron simply because I don’t come in a pair."  Meaning, she gets the feeling others may think that way ABOUT her.

@Noel7

With all due respect, if reading the two sentences prior to the one you chose to quote, I stand by my interpretation.  ''Those" people just go sit at the bar--something she would never, ever do.  

Honored Contributor

Goodness - calling in the reinforcements! I’m honored ;-)

I can scent ya ten miles away, always and especially the new arrival. I know, you know.  It never works with me.  How embarrassing for you.

Honored Contributor

@Noel7 wrote:

@Reever wrote:

@Reever

No one, including the OP, said anything about anyone staring at a single diner.

The issue is about single diners being DENIED A TABLE at some restaurants.

Keep the poster in mind, @Noel7 😜