Trusted Contributor

How do you think this should be handled?

I ordered some towels on December 17th.  I was sent an email that said they were shipped via UPS on the 18th.  Today I wondered what happened to them.  I tracked the package and found it in Las Vegas.  I live in AZ.  I called the company.  I am not angry; just wondered what happened.  It seems that the package got damaged  on December 28th and today they were crediting my credit card.  

It seems to me that someone should have let me know.  Who was culpable to let me know?  UPS or the vendor?  

You know.... it seems that customer service could be better.

What do you think?

Honored Contributor

Re: How do you think this should be handled?

It seems ike these days no one is responsible for anything.  Sad really.

Honored Contributor

@game-on wrote:

I ordered some towels on December 17th.  I was sent an email that said they were shipped via UPS on the 18th.  Today I wondered what happened to them.  I tracked the package and found it in Las Vegas.  I live in AZ.  I called the company.  I am not angry; just wondered what happened.  It seems that the package got damaged  on December 28th and today they were crediting my credit card.  

It seems to me that someone should have let me know.  Who was culpable to let me know?  UPS or the vendor?  

You know.... it seems that customer service could be better.

What do you think?

I agree with you imo delivery systems are going down hill.  Walmart says free two day shipping, I've been lucky if I get it in a week.  Amazon, too.  I'm hoping it's because of the season, not the new normal.

My daughter bought several glass pieces for me from Target, for Christmas.  They notified her after a couple of days that UPS had broken them and that Target would replace and reship, let Target know if she didn't want them.  At least good old Target came through.  Free shipping, too.

Honored Contributor

Shipping keeps getting more and more costly while the service provided gets lousier and lousier.

Honored Contributor

I think that if it was damaged in transit the first responsibility falls to UPS to contact QVC (the sender with whom they have the contract), and then for QVC to have contacted their customer (you).

Unfortunately, none of it really works that way.   UPS ends up returning the parcel to QVC if able.  At some point QVC receives and processes it and sooner or later a credit appears on your account.   i.e. - nobody contacts anybody.

Respected Contributor

As long as I was having my money refunded, I would be satisfied. Sure, it would have been nice had someone contacted you, but you have to pick your battles...and this sounds like a real messy one with a lot of finger-pointing. 

A kind gesture can reach a wound that only compassion can heal. ~~ Steve Maraboli
Honored Contributor

What should have happened is the carrier notifies the vendor, the vendor notifies the customer and refund/replacement is initiated.  That's not how things work though.  The carrier just returns the item to the vendor.  Maybe the shipping label is still intact, maybe not.  If it is, customer credited.  If it isn't, nothing is done until customer contacts vendor and says where's my stuff.

Honored Contributor

I would just ‘let it go.’

You found the answer...they credited. 

These days, I’m working on ‘big picture’ stuff.

Honored Contributor

I think our country's infrastructure was in no way prepared for the popularity of Internet shopping.  Now we hear they're inundated with returns.  Our three major shippers are going to have to step up their games.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

I have had this happen twice. The only way I knew it was damaged during shipping was when I checked the tracking. I called the place of purchase & they checked the tracking & shipped out another item.