Honored Contributor

https://youtu.be/eoFPJk4HsgE

This is not a real long video.  For those that are interested in doing this, I think this is very straightforward and to the point.  It is something I have been working on myself.  I thought it might be interesting to see how others here strive to keep things a bit more simple.  Are you interested in sharing what you do to keep any area of your life  more simple?

I'll start with an easy one for me.  I have decided two handbags are enough.  One for everyday and one for a bit more dressed up.  One in gray and one in black.  Since I wear cooler colors these coordinate with every thing I wear.  The added benefit.......It frees up a lot of space in my hanging closet organizers which is making me happy!  Remember this can be about anything.

Honored Contributor

Re: Simplifying Your Life

[ Edited ]

@jubilant  - I've done this with handbags and shoes.  I donated a bunch of shoes last year to Goodwill and just keep a low inventory of good quality ones to wear to work, etc.

I'm not one to change bags with my outfit.  I use Dooney's  because of the quality and classic looks.  I don't have a ton of bags either.

I'd love to buy a new car, but there's nothing wrong with my Honda and there's no reason for me to get involved with paying a high car note each month.

Esteemed Contributor

You gave me an idea, @jubilant .  

I've been going through my closets and cabinets - got tons of stuff to drop off at Treasures (a local organization that supports a Christian school in the area).  Now, I've got bags I love 'cause I'm "attached" to I've had them for so long, but nowadays travel light and never use them.  You've made me realize since I don't use them, Im gonna "lose" them!

Respected Contributor

I am going thru each thing that I have and getting rid of stuff i dont need or want. I am trying to simplify my life too. I always donate and like to help others.

Esteemed Contributor

This has been my on-going project for the past two years. I am finally seeing some light at the end of the closet. I have some DIY projects going at the same time. 
Eventually, it will be done. I am already seeing bare spots on the shelves and more organized spaces in all of the bathrooms and dens.

I have found two new recycle busineses for metal and electronis in additon to some charities for household items and clothing. I have found a pace that I'm confortable with and the projects are moving forward at a bettr pace for me. My goal is to be completed before Thanksfiving. 

Esteemed Contributor

That's what I did last year. Downsized for the second time- this time without kids, as they were grown and living on their own. Still getting rid of even more "stuff", now a few items per week.

My "stuff" was stressing me out. It was "all too much" as Peter Walsh titled his book about decluttering.

I admire those who live joyfully with less. At my age I aspire to that lifestyle and I feel blessed to be working toward that end.

Esteemed Contributor

I don't really relate to this, no.  Two of us and a dog and fishes live well in a 1,940 square foot house but have 23,000 square feet of land to garden.

We consider ourselves extremely lucky and yes, there have been times I have bought "stuff" as a salve but truly, it didn't take me long to see the fallacy.  I do enjoy some retail therapy but it is usually well-managed, and I feel enhances our day-to-day.

Life is short.  Live it well!

I've often said, some people find the worst of the best and stay there.  That's not where I want to be.

Cogito ergo sum
Honored Contributor

@jubilant, that is such a worthwhile talk, and challenge that she issued-- thanks for posting something so thought-provoking!

I tend to sentimentalize "things",  so I can well understand her feeling when she was holding her Dad's alarm clock, that he used to wind and use to get up early to support his family.  It's been a very slow process for me, but over the last couple of years, I've been sorting and purging the extraneous in my life.  Not without snags!  You mention purses--  jackets are my downfall.

I have small collections of pewter, glass, and candlesticks, etc., that I've culled down to that absolute minimum, and continue to purge.  Recently the kitchen cupboards felt my wrath!  Luckily a local church's Rummage Rooms want constant donations of everything you can give for their needy clients, so we can bring things to them every few weeks, or at least once a month.

My inspiration in simplifying is "The Minimal Mom".  Of course, she's at a different stage in life-- late 30's and has small children.  But she's very savvy and encouraging and she tackles everything from wardrobe simplifying, to paper decluttering, to meal planning, to streamlining your possessions and house:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=6&v=nVcOfpXkWXs

Thank you for your thoughtful and timely post!

Honored Contributor

Yes, this is my ultimate goal, and I continue to pitch stuff left and right.   At 63, I don’t feel the need to have an abundance of stuff, regardless of what it is.

Honored Contributor

@Oznell 

Your welcome and thanks for the video.  I really liked the idea of not having so many plates and dishes.  It makes sense.  It's just DH and I now.  I bought one of those padded cloth dish mats to keep things washed up and tidy.  When I'm done with the mat, I hang it to dry on the handle of my bottom freezer.  It's decorative and adds a nice touch to my kitchen and hides any fingerprints on the bottom freezer. Ha!  I can't see running the dishwasher just for coffee cups when we can wash them after we use them or even buy a couple that match the kitchen and add a pop of color to a counter.  Like you, I think one of the hardest things is going through Grandma's dishware and trying to decide what to keep and what not to. Sigh.