Respected Contributor

@LilacTree ...don't end up like one of those hoarders on TLC. Allow your daughters to help you get rid of the not needed items. Smiley Happy 

I promise to remind myself every day that I am strong, courageous, and resilient.
Honored Contributor

It’s weird.

Once the mind shifts ‘180’, everything is up for evaluation.

Gets easier & easier. 

Valued Contributor

In my working days, my philosophy was for every clothing purchase (including shoes/handbags) I made, I donated one piece to charity.

Now retired, I donated my work clothes (primarily suits), pumps and several handbags to a battered women's shelter.  Still too many clothes.  Mostly because I hang on to everything!  So I went through my closets, and sent some of the things I don't wear, but my sister loved, and sent her a huge box.

One of my biggest problems is I have a pretty vast collection of vintage clothes (40s, 50s,60s).  All in wonderful shape, all with union labels and all things I love.  I know I need to part with them, but freely admit, I'm having a difficult time doing so.  The history, the women that wore them before me, and keeping them cherished weighs on my heart.  I want whoever ends up with them to understand the responsibility they have in owning them and keeping them safe.  Seems crazy to many, but means a lot to me.  So I continue to struggle with what to do.

I now buy much less, but when I do, my new philosophy is for every piece I buy four pieces must go.  Helps me save money!  LuLu

Honored Contributor

@stevieb 

LOL!  I have a confession to make.  I forgot about my  summer Judith Ripka bag in that last post. Saw it in my closet after that post and I am going to keep that one, too....so make that three for me!  Still, that's better than eight so I am making some progress! 

Honored Contributor

Re: Simplifying Your Life

[ Edited ]

@Snowpuppy wrote:

She never mentioned who paid for her 5,000 sq ft house and her rolling racks of endless stuff that made her happy?

********** No, she didn't.  I kind of got the impression she wanted to put a lot of things behind her and get her priorities in order.  She does seem happy with her decision. Things give you pleasure for a season but, to me, it doesn't last.  Maybe she had a close call....that can change your perspective in a hurry. I've been there and not so long ago!

Honored Contributor

@Snowpuppy wrote:

She never mentioned who paid for her 5,000 sq ft house and her rolling racks of endless stuff that made her happy?

@Snowpuppy   She has 11 closets and 9 rolling racks of clothes in a 5000-sq ft house.  I used to have a house that size, do not believe we had that many closets (I would have to think back and count).  I certainly could not have gotten 9 rolling racks of clothes additonally into it unless I moved all the furnishings out.

Respected Contributor

Am working on getting rid of clothes in closets ( feels good to donate ) and papers in drawers ( lots of shredding ) since winter.Slow but sure.Also downsized to one car.My husband and I are retired and don"t need two cars.Husband also has a motorcycle which he loves to ride in the warmer weather,and in the winter we don"t need to drive as much anyway.

Respected Contributor

Re: Simplifying Your Life

[ Edited ]

@jubilant wrote:

@Snowpuppy wrote:

********** No, she didn't.  I kind of got the impression she wanted to put a lot of things behind her and get her priorities in order.  She does seem happy with her decision. Things give you pleasure for a season but, to me, it doesn't last.  Maybe she had a close call....that can change your perspective in a hurry. I've been there and not so long ago!

Jubliant:  You are so right.  When my Mother came to live with me she had to get rid of furniture and such that she had for many years.  I asked her if it was hard to get rid of so many "treasures" and she replied "No indeed.  They are just things and things are not the priority of my life".  Quote I once heard:  "I want something else but I just don't know what it is"  It seems to be the human condition that most are never satisfied, no matter how much we have.  A contented heart is what I most strive for these days..

Honored Contributor

@Its Me LuLuBelle2 wrote:

In my working days, my philosophy was for every clothing purchase (including shoes/handbags) I made, I donated one piece to charity.

Now retired, I donated my work clothes (primarily suits), pumps and several handbags to a battered women's shelter.  Still too many clothes.  Mostly because I hang on to everything!  So I went through my closets, and sent some of the things I don't wear, but my sister loved, and sent her a huge box.

One of my biggest problems is I have a pretty vast collection of vintage clothes (40s, 50s,60s).  All in wonderful shape, all with union labels and all things I love.  I know I need to part with them, but freely admit, I'm having a difficult time doing so.  The history, the women that wore them before me, and keeping them cherished weighs on my heart.  I want whoever ends up with them to understand the responsibility they have in owning them and keeping them safe.  Seems crazy to many, but means a lot to me.  So I continue to struggle with what to do.

I now buy much less, but when I do, my new philosophy is for every piece I buy four pieces must go.  Helps me save money!  LuLu

there is a big market for good vintage,  you need to find it,  etsy?  it's out there I follow a few vintage stores on instagram and the clothing is amazing 

Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

This has been my theme, once I decided to sell my house and downsize. I do not like clutter anyway but putting the house on the market required me to go through closets and cabinets and the garage and I found a lot to get rid of. In the process of packing for the move, I was again confronted by stuff that. I am a cookbook collector and had a full wall of bookshelves in the family room. I had books on shelves in my room plus baskets full in the closet. My initial intent was to reduce  to just the bookshelves in the FR. I culled about 700 books (which still left me with about 1000). In selling the house, I left the shelves behind - not sure where all these books will go in a 2 BR apartment. I expect to let go of several hundred more.

I held a garage sale. Then, with the help of my daughter's BF, I was able to sell a good bit of furniture and an older car. I also sold furniture on Craigslist including my beautiful Restoration hardware farm table and chairs that I never thought I could part with. I needed the money and would likely not have space and I was making a fresh start. I did not keep much furniture at all - only a few small pieces and donated what didn't sell. I got rid of wedding china, dishes, glassware, serving pieces, vases, cookware and bakeware - I do a lot of cooking and baking but still had too much.

I am in a temporary furnished apt. for several while I look for a job and a more permanent place. Everything is in a 10x15' storage unit - I know I will get rid of more as I move in. I will need some furniture - plan to buy second hand. Living in this smaller space without most of my things has reminded me how little you need to get by. It is still a work in progress - I have been thrifting to fill in some gaps since the kitchen was not well furnished for cooking or baking. Otherwise, making do.