Regular Contributor

Re: Sign Of The Times!

[ Edited ]

Obviously, you haven't been paying attention to the stories.  The children were home schooled, so there was no school to notice something also some of the "children" were adults.  The oldest as 29.  They are all small because they suffer from malnutrition and their growth is stunted.  As for the neighbors; the family had not contract with the neighbors.  Some neighbors knew there were children in the house and they may have occassionally got a glimpse of them but how the heck could the neighbors have had any inkling at all about the horrors in that house?  I heard one neighbor say that their assumption was that the family was in some religious cult and that the children were home schooled.  Often people who home school the children also keep them away from neighborhood children.   The couple had no relationship with their extended families.  These aren't people who got together with the aunts and uncles for holidays and birthdays so the relatives didn't see and didn't know the children.  Only 2 people were responsible or that situation and I hope they both go to prison for the remainde of their lives.   

Honored Contributor

These people were not religious or spiritual.  If they worshiped anything, it was the devil. 

I don't think home schooling should be looked down on.  There are plenty of kids going to public schools that are abused, sad to say.  These people don't deserve to be walking the streets or living anywhere but behind bars.  They are not fit for society.  I hope their punishment is severe. 

Honored Contributor

Well, I stand by what I said.  Perhaps (since we're told they were home schooled, (sure), maybe rules should be changed so someone (at least once every 6 months visits the home of these 'home schooled' children.  The guise would be 'to check to make sure they have the right atmosphere for studying in the home'....whatever.

I'm sure there are a surprising number of children being mistreated in other parts of the country.  Like I've said (and so many other's here have said), "It's always the children who suffer".

Here we go again.....like I said recently here about people who mistreat animals and children, "Hopefully, there's a special place in Hell for them".  I'd also like to add, "Hell must be getting really crowded these days....but according to the way things are going....it's going to have to be expanded...unfortunately".

Also, unfortunately, like so many things (terrible things) reported on by the press in a few weeks (if not sooner) something else will be in the news, filling the front pages and headlining every newspaper.......

I was just talking to my two teenage granddaughters today about this and one brought up about the people in Puerto Rico and wondered how their children are suffering.....

I was so proud of these two teenage girls, that they even remembered about the devastation STILL going on there.

It gave me hope that maybe that generation will do a better job with the world than those in charge today....we can hope...can't we?

Honored Contributor

@Annabellethecat66, we always hope for the younglings coming up in the world, to do better.  I think that's why we all try so hard to want to raise them right.  There's a lot riding on this next batch's shoulders.  (Each generation).  Let's hope we're getting right sooner than later. 

Honored Contributor

@Annabellethecat66

Yes, we can always hope.  History shows that when countries are at their lowest and things are looking bad.....that's when they finally "rise to the occasion".  It will either be that or WWIII, imo.

Honored Contributor

@jubilant @qualitygal Yesterday I was lucky enough to spend the entire day with my two oldest granddaughters!  I love, love spending time with them.  As I've stated here before, I've been taking them for the day various places since they were toddlers.  We have an unusually close relationship.

So, it was my idea to go see (what I call the 'circus movie') the one with Hugh Jackman.  They were all for it (lucky for me)!  My daughter met me with them and my 5 year old grandson (my son-in-law and other grandson was at grandson's basketball game).  We had lunch at Wendy's because it was next to the movie theatre.

After the movie I drove us to Chickfilet because that's where they wanted to go (one granddaughter hadn't eaten much at Wendy's).  We took the food back to their house and sat outside in my car eating it.

It was so funny because we could see my daughter, my son-in-law and other's walking back and forth watching us out the window (car light was on).  Eventually, my daughter couldn't stand it any longer and came out to see what we were doing (she's nosey...Ha!).

We sat and had some of our wonderful conversations.  They are very, very intelligent and honest with me.  They know I don't judge them or their friends.  I always tell them how grateful I am and lucky to be able to spend time alone with them.  I've always told them I won't discuss our subject matter with their parents unless I think it's something or signs of trouble (or might cause trouble).  They know I'm true to my word, thus they are outspoken and honest and trust me.

Yesterday's conversations was the use of cuss words and that three letter word....sex.  We don't get into details just the funny aspects of the use of cuss words (what works best and when to use them) and "can you imagine" this and that!  We sat and laughed so hard.  Good for the soul to laugh period but especially with people who have such a good untainted heart.

As they've gotten older they've been able to see the less guarded side of me.  You know, the side we keep back (cussing, etc) from young people and when we only want to show our public side to others.

It was the same way with their mother and my two other daughters.  Gradually, as they got older they were 'allowed' to get to know the real me, flaws and all.  Actually, I allowed it pretty early as far as them being able to point out things like, "Mom, you are being selfish" (this was said by my one daughter when she was only 5 years old....and she was right at the time).

So, finally, my reason for coming back to this post.  I saw and watched the Sunday morning show I enjoy.  The segment was about college campuses and free speech.  It was about college students now allowing speakers to come and speak on various subjects 'that upset them'.  Speakers on controversial subjects about race, religion and so on get yelled off of the stage and no longer allowed to give their side because it's too upsetting to them.

The wonderful thing about this country is it (the country) takes (what I call) a 'correction' and starts to swing backward.  

I see this happening now.  The problem I have with it is (unfortunately) it often swings too far in the other direction.  Eventually it comes BACK to the middle.  Hopefully, the 'over-correction' won't last long, maybe not happen at all (fingers crossed).  That's what I got from the segment...(i.e. it's swinging).

These young people (teenagers, young teens) seem to give me hope.  They are willing to listen to all sides and (I have to believe) it's not just my grandchildren but many of those this age who will listen to EVERYONE and decide what's best for the country, not just for them, but the country (not always the same).

I wish more people would listen to people like us.  By us I mean old people!  Ha!  My friends and I always say we are more likely to want what's best for this country.  Sure we care about our Social Security payments, but we don't have children in school (not directly affected), most of us drive ourselves (don't have to worry so much about getting paid by a job) and so on.  I know it all dribbles down to and affects us, but not the same as those in the work force every single day.  We've been there...done that...seen it...been a part of 'it'.  Hopefully, most of us have learned a few things in this process....right?

To get off of this subject...I'll say, I'm feeling more optimistic today!  I've had a vitamin shot (being with young people).  I'm ready and willing for the next 'round'.

I so enjoy coming here because I get to enjoy all of you.  I get to read ideas, likes, dislikes, what works, what doesn't work and so on from people all around the country.  I wish there were teens and younger people here, but hopefully, they're busy making the world better....Ha!

My mother used to say to me, "If you want to feel old...hang out with old people.  If you want to feel young, hang out with young people".  I do that and like to think I'm young(er) because of it.

ps - I did tell my granddaughters that Grandma's been working on getting her back better.  Soon I'll be able to teach them how to do the Watusi, the mashed potatoes, the locomotion, the swim, the twist and many more dances.  They've been taught well (humor grandma) as they said, "Oh!  Good Grandma!  We can't wait!" (the car light had been turned off by then, but I'm sure their eyes were rolling around....like..."maybe she'll forget" to show us).  Ha!

Honored Contributor

(thread title)

This is a different country than I knew when I was young. Too many, at times, in my opinion. live in a MYOB world. Can't take a risk of offending anyone!

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Respected Contributor

Well, sounds to me like the parents are criminally insane.

As far as the grandparents, I don't know what to say.  They lived long distance.  Maybe they didn't have good relationships with their son and daughter, but whenever they did see them, they seemed ok.

I don't know.  Not trying to excuse anything.  Just trying to understand.

This is all too horrific.  I am just glad that the one child was able to successfully get out of the house and save herself and her siblings.

The other heartbreaking part to this is that although they are safe now, the mental and emotional damage will affect them for the rest of their lives.  Perhaps the youngest ones can overcome most of it, but I'm not sure about the older ones, especially the adult children.

This reminds me, in a different way, of the girl in Austria who was imprisoned in her own family's basement by her father for years, and she had several children with him.

Horrific.

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.--Marcus Tullius Cicero
Respected Contributor

@hckynut wrote:

(thread title)

This is a different country than I knew when I was young. Too many, at times, in my opinion. live in a MYOB world. Can't take a risk of offending anyone!

hckynut(john)

In this case, maybe this will serve as a wake up call for most of us to speak up when we see something that doesn't seem right.

I remember one neighbor talking about how she and her son were outside decorating their house for Christmas.  They saw a couple of these kids in their own front yard putting out some decorations.  They approached the kids to say hi, but the kids behaved strangely and wouldn't talk to them.

Right there, I think I would have gone back into my house and called 9/11 and asked for how to best address this situation.  At the very least, perhaps if cops had gone over there, they might have noticed something strange at that time, (even the smell coming from inside the house.)

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.--Marcus Tullius Cicero
Honored Contributor

@Annabellethecat66

It sounds like you really enjoy your grandchildren and they enjoy you.  They will never forget these times with you.   One day they may look back an remember all the good times, the laughing, the learning.....and remember that you knew a thing or two they didn't!  I sure feel that way about my Grandma's.  You should have seen my one grandmother do the charleston.  Now that's a memory I will never forget!  I love the dances of the 50's and 60's...some of them you mentioned and "I can cut a mean rug".  I tried it the other night but got a little breathless so guess I'll have to wait till I'm a little farther down the road from my heart surgery. Ha!  Our grandkids need some hero's to look up to and I feel that many grandparents are just that.  These kids coming up may surprise us all.  I hope so.  

I am concerned with what the future holds for them.  Every day it seems that another country is equipped with atomic bombs and missiles that can reach us.  I pray every day for my grandchildren. Maybe they will see what it is our country needs.  I sure hope so. We must never give up hope.  Yours was a great post and it really touched my heart.  It's obvious the love between you and your dear grandkids.