Honored Contributor

@mistriTsquirrel wrote:

After seeing some of the things that get deleted--and some of the things that don't--I truly believe that some of the mods here just flip a coin to decide what stays and what goes, because there is rarely any consistency.

@mistriTsquirrel

Sometimes I wonder if the Mods agree with posts in a thread they leave it, but if they don't they close or delete it..........Woman Frustrated  There are many "controversial topics"/political topics that are running right now, and a rather nasty comment on a vendor is still there....It just makes you scratch your head.........But it's their website, their forum, so they get to run it as they see fit.......still some are indeed a puzzlement.......... 

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@dooBdoo wrote:

I don't really understand the angst, to be frankst.   (groan) 😜   We know threads and posts here aren't guaranteed to remain for posterity, so why not relax, post what we want (trying to stay within the standards and guidelines) and then move forward to the next post or thread?   Holding grudges about anything, whether it's past scuffles with people or it's threads/posts that were deleted/closed, isn't particularly healthy and in my experience isn't useful.    Grudges are just wasteful weight we lug around on our shoulders and our souls.

Honestly, I think these endless complaint threads don't bode well for the future of the QVC forums and it's possible by continuing to second-guess and insult the moderators and the PTB who give them their marching orders...  we might see the forums follow the trend on other sites: 

forums are being closed, completely, and the companies that managed them are sending their posters to other social media sites like Facebook.   

Certainly we have the option to complain and to air our grievances here, but I haven't seen any changes as a result of them and I do think instead of this imperfect Q Community we might end up with no Q Community to post on in the future. 

@dooBdoo

Beautifully said, great points.......and certainly a word to the wise.  A lot of nice friendships have developed and it would be a shame if QVC decided (like Amazon did) that the Forum wasn't worth the trouble and shut the whole thing down! 

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Trusted Contributor

I like the moderation.

Back in the days before moderation, any comment I made would get swarmed.  It might go on for days.  Now, I can make a comment in peace, and sometimes I even get hearts for it.

Honored Contributor

@Oznell wrote:

I've long thought that social media communication would improve markedly if there were standards of civility that were scrupulously observed, every time.

If all rude, unkind, personal remarks would immedately be removed for cause;  if calling names or referring derogatively to a poster in the third person resulted in deletion, I do believe that discussion sites would be more conducive to real communication.

"In real life", it's much more rare for people in social situations to be as unkind in comments to each other, even when they fundamentally disagree.  There's a kind of social contract that says, treat the other person like a human being, regardless.  

At first, there would probably be lots and lots of deletions, but rules of social engagement would be absorbed by most, I think.  It would take more stringent moderation-- paying attention to the way people treat each other, more than the topics they discuss.

@Oznell

Very thoughtful response.........

My contentions are 1) inconsistencies 2) exactly what you said OZNELL---

A person can have a difference of opinion on a topic---FINE, we are individuals with our own experiences in life and therefore, we may have different viewpoints.  However, what I don't like are the snarky comments and attacks on the PERSON instead of the TOPIC.  One of the first rules I learned when I started writing on Forums way back in the 80's (anyone remember Prodigy??) was "attack the topic, not the person" ........this would go a long way of keeping topics civil, but it seems when someone doesnt know how to counter a viewpoint they head towards the nasty personal attacks (so instead of responding back to the attack--- perhaps we need to think to ourselves--I guess I won that agrument and move on..Smiley Wink )

But perhaps society as come to the point where people dont want to listen to opposing viewpoints to reach a compromise so they take the attitude---your not going to change my mind, and I'm not going to change yours---and things just get downright ugly---so they think the solution is ---lets get mean and nasty!!!...........SAD!..

Honored Contributor

stuyvesant, I'm sorry you had to go through that-- It can be demoralizing, even if it's "just" social media.  Glad you can express yourself freely now, without the "swarming".  (Good term.)

Trusted Contributor

@Spurt wrote:

@mistriTsquirrel wrote:

After seeing some of the things that get deleted--and some of the things that don't--I truly believe that some of the mods here just flip a coin to decide what stays and what goes, because there is rarely any consistency.

@mistriTsquirrel

Sometimes I wonder if the Mods agree with posts in a thread they leave it, but if they don't they close or delete it..........Woman Frustrated  There are many "controversial topics"/political topics that are running right now, and a rather nasty comment on a vendor is still there....It just makes you scratch your head.........But it's their website, their forum, so they get to run it as they see fit.......still some are indeed a puzzlement.......... 

Yes, like waiting for the fur to fly and then picking us off like sitting ducks.  

Trusted Contributor

@Oznell wrote:

stuyvesant, I'm sorry you had to go through that-- It can be demoralizing, even if it's "just" social media.  Glad you can express yourself freely now, without the "swarming".  (Good term.)

Thanks, @Oznell.  I think it's very dfficult to moderate a board where people have posted, sometimes 20+ years without moderation, and then throw moderation into the mix.

Respected Contributor

I compeltely agree about discussing the topic not the poster.  The mods here won't tolerate those who habitually enjoy the personal attack which is why we don't see those ongoing attacks here any more.  That's something we can all gratefully appreciate.

To keep complaining won't change the past and any future changes are up to us as individuals:  Ignore, avoid, or change.  We simply cannot control how others behave online and the mods seem to do the best they can.  Let go of expecting a personal ideal of perfection and do what we can to not make their job more difficult.

I think all of us could use more peace and calm but online isn't the best place to find it. 

I'm basically against shaming for any reason yet I have wished the deleted posts would leave the offending poster's nic so that they might stop wasting their time sharing whatever hostility they have trouble controlling.. 

At least if someone is going to create trouble, let them be known as a troublemaker.  Maybe that would partially satisfy those who see bias.

Honored Contributor

There's nothing wrong about defending oneself from a personal attack, the fact the one needs to do it here speaks more to the moderation than the 'grudge' holding imo.

Honored Contributor

There are a handful of posters who repeatedly define any disagreement as a personal attack.