Honored Contributor

Re: Should women have to register for the draft?

[ Edited ]

Noel:  Gee, I haven't heard the words 'National Guard' in ages........I'll have to find out where exactly they're based in key areas, and around here.  Thanks for the reminder!  (Posters on these boards are so smart........or maybe I'm just so .......... !  

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

@ROMARY

Or... ROMARY you are kind and curious, and imo curiosity means smart Smiley Happy

Esteemed Contributor

@Mellie32 wrote:

I'm a traditionalist -- if the draft is reinstated for whatever reason, only men should be obligated to go.  Women who CHOOSE to be part of it should be allowed to also.  Mothers should not be obligated to leave their children.  Women here at home during WWII were powerful and awesome.  

```````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

And so were the women who served during WWll, Korea, Vietnam, the Gulf War and the wars in Afghanistan and Iraq as well. heart:

Honored Contributor

@Lila Belle wrote:

@Mellie32 wrote:

I'm a traditionalist -- if the draft is reinstated for whatever reason, only men should be obligated to go.  Women who CHOOSE to be part of it should be allowed to also.  Mothers should not be obligated to leave their children.  Women here at home during WWII were powerful and awesome.  

```````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

And so were the women who served during WWll, Korea, Vietnam, the Gulf War and the wars in Afghanistan and Iraq as well. heart:

Right, @Lila Belle

So many women in the UK participated and especially participated at home.

They broke Axis codes (Bletchley Circle), worked in factories, took care of logging and other outdoor needs (Land Girls) served in the military by driving vehicles like the now Queen Elizabeth who drove an ambulance and learned mechanics to fix it.

Esteemed Contributor

My great-uncle was a pilot in WWll and his instructor was a young woman of 25. This was in Texas in the early 40's.
Valued Contributor

I believe sex is what one does and gender is who you are.  I also believe gender is a spectrum. All of us are not lined up on one side or the other.  Instead, we all have our own place somewhere on the gender spectrum. 

So, yes, I think if we have a draft, all should participate.   It is the ability to do the job which should govern who does what in the armed forces. A random draft would draw proportionally from our population, which is about 50/50.   I believe this would set up the scenario of women being placed into combat.  

My father served two tours in Korea. His (and my) experience with the VA has been awful.  I find the VA is broken.  Before instituting any draft, I believe we, as a country, need to fix it. 

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
Trusted Contributor

I agree with your analysis of the VA, rrpell.  It is a nighmare and a shame and scourge on our country.  You know the details; therefore, I will not elaborate.  Until that item is fixed, no one shoud be drafted male or female. Wait, maybe those that start these little forays.......I digress.