Honored Contributor

Re: It Re: Shopping Experience at Safeway today Was Not Good

wrote:

wrote:

Thanks for all the comments and suggestions..  it is good to see different view points of a situation.  I appreciate  all of them. Have a nice night!

I have to agree with everyone.  No store knows they have a problem unless they are told.  You wrote a nice, detailed explanation as to what happened.  I would take that explanation and send it to the store's headquarters.  And I would also put it out on FB. 

When social media gets involved, it seems the store listens.

Please don't just come her to get comments and suggestions, please put them into action.  You deseve some answers and the cashier deserves to be called out on it. 

I’d have to disagree.  If they don’t know they have a problem, they should.  It’s their job.  They have people who work in the back and people who stock the shelves and clean up broken jars.  There is surely someone in charge of things like straightening up the produce and replacing bags.  It’s not up to the customers to see that it’s done.

Valued Contributor

Re: Shopping Experience at Safeway today Was Not Good

I would find a way to “let it go”. Take a walk, go for a run, write a nice note to someone.
There really are much bigger problems to deal with in the world.
Honored Contributor

wrote:
I would find a way to “let it go”. Take a walk, go for a run, write a nice note to someone.

I don’t get this. She did find a way to let it go. Here. By venting. Which is something many people here do daily. 

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

wrote:

We all know there are bigger problems in the world. But none of them are going to be solved by posting about them here,and we can't talk about anything remotely related to those "bigger problems" on this board. 

Respected Contributor

I see the other side that some of you have stated and that is to let it go.  Sometimes something has not been right in a store and I may vent to a friend and then put it behind me.

However, if I really think my saying something might help, then by all means I do.  It is up to management to see what is going wrong, but management also does not have the opportunity to be the customer.

The customer should not do the work for management, i.e., asking for plastic bags; however, possibly the management is not up to par and needs to be spoken to.  It was mentioned the manager was having surgery.  Obviously, the next in line needs more experience before they take over. 

I think the OP's critique was written in such a way that any company who is worth anything would be happy to read it and see what needs to be done before the store falls too far off-track.

Respected Contributor

I pretty much stopped shopping at Safeway about 15 or so years ago after I went in the one near where I worked up in WA to buy some prepackaged lunch meat in the deli section & checked the sell by dates on the packages of the type I wanted & it was 3 months prior.  Needless to say, I didn't buy any & spoke to the deli person behind the counter about it, who said htey'd take care of it.  Then, I was in there a couple of days later & out of curiosity, I looked at the deli meats again, thinking they must've taken care of the problem & I'll be darned if those same packages with 3 month old sell by dates were still hanging there!   Gross! 

I never set foot in that Safeway store again & moved to AZ in 2006.  I was so turned off by Safeway that I've only been in the Safeway store nearest me here a few times since I moved to AZ.

Trusted Contributor

I had the same problem with a Fry's near me.  The problem was with that store's management.  They would run out of milk (or just not stock it on the shelves), eggs, water, etc. When I complained in the store they said that they could not find people to do the stocking. I told them that the Fry's  a mile down the street did not seem to have a problem finding stockers. Anyway, after months of complaining and no results, I went on the store's website and complained and everything changed.  Now they have new management, items are stocked, etc. It seems to make a difference when corporate knows what is going on.Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

wrote:

I was in the vegetable/fruit section.... all the plastic bag holders were empty except ONE.   THEN I was in the meat section and there was not one place to get a plastic bag to put my chicken in except across the the entire meat section..... so I had to take my cart over across the isle to grab a bag....  you would think that keeping bags stocked on a busy weekend would be a no brainer? Not a serious issue, but, in a grocery store bags are kind of something people need for certain items.

When  getting rang up I was over changed $2 a pound for an item.  To me that is a lot..... maybe not to someone else.  I pointed it out to the checker and she acted like I was a pain in the neck. She  never looked at me  the entire time ringing me up or when correcting the mistake nor did she even apologize ....and she  took off the item.  I asked her to go ahead and charge me the correct price per pound  as I wanted to pay for it... I was very nice the entire transaction....and 

she says back to me..."IT IS TOO MUCH TROUBLE TO TRY TO FIGURE IT OUT".

So the checker threw the entire issue back at ME BLAMING ME for being "too much trouble" REALLY?

Not a thank you....no have a nice day.  I left the store  feeling  bad. Smiley Sad

That is why  my Fred Meyers gets most of my business.they run the store very well....and the checkers are pleasant or at at least friendly.  Safeway needs to train checkers in how to treat customers and they need to make sure things are stocked up.  

Yes, things happen, but, with all the competition out there, these little issues make or break a store and the business the get.  A customer should not feel bad for  bringing up a mistake the store made.

When I find a place of business I don't like, I don't shop there again.  Unless you only have one grocery store within a 50 mile radius, shop elsewhere.  It's a very simple fix. 

Valued Contributor

You had to walk a few extra feet to get a plastic bag, on the weekend when stores are typically their busiest.  I'm retired so I go grocery shopping during the week to avoid crowds and have a more leisurely experience.

I wonder what the item was that was overpriced by two dollars a pound. 

Honored Contributor

wrote:

wrote:

I was in the vegetable/fruit section.... all the plastic bag holders were empty except ONE.   THEN I was in the meat section and there was not one place to get a plastic bag to put my chicken in except across the the entire meat section..... so I had to take my cart over across the isle to grab a bag....  you would think that keeping bags stocked on a busy weekend would be a no brainer? Not a serious issue, but, in a grocery store bags are kind of something people need for certain items.

When  getting rang up I was over changed $2 a pound for an item.  To me that is a lot..... maybe not to someone else.  I pointed it out to the checker and she acted like I was a pain in the neck. She  never looked at me  the entire time ringing me up or when correcting the mistake nor did she even apologize ....and she  took off the item.  I asked her to go ahead and charge me the correct price per pound  as I wanted to pay for it... I was very nice the entire transaction....and 

she says back to me..."IT IS TOO MUCH TROUBLE TO TRY TO FIGURE IT OUT".

So the checker threw the entire issue back at ME BLAMING ME for being "too much trouble" REALLY?

Not a thank you....no have a nice day.  I left the store  feeling  bad. Smiley Sad

That is why  my Fred Meyers gets most of my business.they run the store very well....and the checkers are pleasant or at at least friendly.  Safeway needs to train checkers in how to treat customers and they need to make sure things are stocked up.  

Yes, things happen, but, with all the competition out there, these little issues make or break a store and the business the get.  A customer should not feel bad for  bringing up a mistake the store made.

When I find a place of business I don't like, I don't shop there again.  Unless you only have one grocery store within a 50 mile radius, shop elsewhere.  It's a very simple fix. 

Seriously? You would cheerfully drive 40-45 mi each way every time you needed groceries?  Or any product, since you say “a place of business.” Honestly, you would continually pass up local businesses and make a 60-90 min round trip for anything and everything, daily, all the time, because the stores in your immediate environment don’t meet your standards?

If you said yes, I simply wouldn’t believe you 🙄

The entire country doesn’t live in an urban environment. Many people DO have to drive those distances, or close to them. I don’t know if the OP does, but many more people than you apparently believe do.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all