Valued Contributor

Does anyone else use a shoe rack/racks?  I am so sick of picking up shoes, tripping over shoes, and kicking shoes out of my way.  DS and DH leave their shoes wherever they take tham off.  I at least move mine to a corner in the bedroom.  DH tends to leave his right in the path from the bed to the bathroom.  I lost count on how many times I tripped over them in the middle of the night.

So, I bought a 5 shelf shoe rack that holds 25 pairs of shoes.  Now, I am prepared for this fight.  I have told them both that any shoes not put on the rack, will be put in the garage. 

I plan on putting the rack by the front door, but the front door leads into the dining room.  However, we rarely have company and never use the dining room. 

Does anyone else have a shoe rack in their dining room?

Esteemed Contributor

Looking for something to keep my shoes in/on. Tell me more about yours, please!

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Honored Contributor

A shoe rack in my dining room?  No.  

Have a mat by the back door for a few pairs of outdoor only shoes.  It's out of sight, except for those of us who enter the  house from the back. 

Edited to say... this will only be near your dining room?   In that case, maybe.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Nope, the collection has not spilled over into the dining room.  I have a round shoe tree in the closet* that, I think, holds 36 pairs of shoes.  I use the upper shelves of the closets and a five shelf shoe rack in the guest room.  I haven't gotten around to doing a deep gifting on the shoes, but it is on the list.

I would like to get to the point where shoes are kept on shelves at the garage door and I only own a few pairs.  (I've collected beautiful boots over the years.  I will have to be fierce.)  And the specialty shoes are numerous (gym, bikes, motorcycles, hiking, walking, running, tai chi, etc). 

*Husband just checked the amazon order on my shoe rack:  Whitmor 6 tier floor to ceiling shoe spinner with adjustable basket.  It holds 36 pairs plus baskets.  It was $45.00.

Valued Contributor

I purchased the Awenia 5 Tiers Adjustable Shoe Rack Organizer Metal for 25 Pairs Shoes from Amazon.  It is not fancy.  But it is sturdy!

I have no idea why my font changed, but anyway.  I just want to have a neat and tidy house and not have to trip over shoes!  Honestly, I feel like I can't have anything nice living with smash, rip and ruin!

Esteemed Contributor

Thanks. I'm just beginning to think about buying one and will check it out!

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Valued Contributor

@september wrote:

A shoe rack in my dining room?  No.  

Have a mat by the back door for a few pairs of outdoor only shoes.  It's out of sight, except for those of us who enter the  house from the back. 

Edited to say... this will only be near your dining room?   In that case, maybe.

Unfortunately, we have no back door.  We do have a garage door that leads into the house.  In fact DS suggested putting it in the garage.  But, we all have different schedules and only have 2 openers and have to keep in closed per HOA rules.  We are renting here so no moving anytime soon.

The front door opens into the dining room, which tends to become a catchall.  I do have a sitting chair in there where I sit and watch the outdoors sometimes.

Honored Contributor

@Warrior2022.  My back door can also be called my garage door.  But if that doesn't work for you and your family, then go with what does 

Valued Contributor

@Warrior2022:  I have the Origami racks from HSN, the large 3 tier and the 6 tier......they come in different colors.

I have 2, 3 tier in the garage for storage.   I put the 6 tier in our walk-in closet for shoes.  

The 3 tier is too large for the closet spaces I have and the 6 tier is too small for all the shoes.

Because of the widith I am going to order another 6 tier and put it in another space in our closet.  The 3 tier is too wide for either space.

For me, getting the right sizes, these racks are great for shoes and types storage.

Respected Contributor

I have four shoe storage units that slide under the bed. Not ideal, but it helps. I have a huge handbag collection (no, it makes no sense), which eats up dressing room storage cubbies in which normal (sane) people without dozens of handbags would place shoes. More shoes reside on shelves behind doors in low built-ins that line two bedroom walls. No, the shoes have not migrated downstairs to the dining room yet!

I have a problem with bags, shoes, and books, which “live” in the master suite. I have started donating books—literally carloads of them. It’s hard to do. I joke that I may start putting the overflow closet stuff in bags that hang outside the windows! The irony is that I hate clutter. At least I keep my stuff organized

I have tossed some shoes, but most of mine are classics (like Chanel ballet flats, for example) which refuse to go out if style, I have  sold some bags on eBay to make room for fun new finds, like this week’s Dooney tsv. Yes, I bought it. Aack.