Valued Contributor
@Warrior2022.....I agree with you and that’s exactly how I plan to do things with my child. I think 15-16 years old is way to young to get their permit or license. Many aren’t mature or responsible enough yet, by nature, because they’re so young. I don’t care either if I’m going to end up being “the bad mom”. As you said, someday they will “get it”.
Valued Contributor

I am currently in Italy.Here you have to be 18 to get a driver's license.It is illegal to use cellphones while driving.I didn't allow my daughter to get her license til she was 18.

Honored Contributor

@wakefield64 

When I started driving at 16, the only way I could get auto insurance, was via the Risk Pool. Had to get insurance from the company that drew my name(I had no choice) of I insurers. Because I  was 16 and my mother did not have a drivers license? Automatic Risk Insurance.

I paid $250 every 3 months, and that was for a $500 deductible, Liability Only Insurance. That was in 1955 and to change my Risk Status, I had to be "25 years old, or married". I paid that till I turned 25, which was 1964, and Collision Insurance was added, depending on the year of my cars. I paid for my car and everything connected go it,  not my mother.

To this day, no insurance company has paid a penny to me because I have never been the driver in any vehicle crash. My friends, who had parents that drove? Full coverage or $75-$100, PER YEAR. My highest income, yes HIGHEST, was $7,000 per year during those 9 years.

When I turned 25(the magic age I guess) my total insurance cost me less than $100 per year in June of 1964. No driver in immediate family? Risk Insurance, period!

hckynut

hckynut(john)
Respected Contributor

I read about this....broke my heart. Riding a motorcycle is dangerous at all times... I believe they were Harley's..out for a nice, friendly trip all together. Those were luxury bikes for longer trips...poor people. I loved riding... and loved the people too. Very kind.... but I gave it up.

I looked at the photos. Just tragic.... (My pharmacy delivery guy was 85 and still riding....he finally quit his p/t job and is at home safe with his family now. Such a sweet man.) 

-Do Not Copy Pls-
Respected Contributor

The truck driver pulling that trailer is 27 with priors.... 

-Do Not Copy Pls-
Trusted Contributor

@cbrite   He's from my town and is 23.    He has lots of priors.    One of the last ones being drunk driving in May.   Why that company even hired him is mind boggling.   This was his second run for that company.

Esteemed Contributor

@september wrote:

FYI...the NH state motto, “live free or die”, originated from the days of the American Revolution, and has nothing to do with driving laws in this state. 

@september  Thank you. How sad that an explanation was needed. 

Keepin' it real.
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Regardless of the actual origin of the motto, it still may reflect a current mindset -- no seatbelt or helmet laws.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

Regardless of the actual origin of the motto, it still may reflect a current mindset -- no seatbelt or helmet laws.

Yes, Americans in general don't care for laws that tell them what to do, even if for their own, or the public's, safety.  It's crazy. 

Motorcycle riders in PA aren't required to wear a helmet if they're over 21 and have two years of riding experience.  It still shocks me to see motorcyclilsts on the road without helmets, even popping wheelies.

Respected Contributor

I did not know there were States that did not require a helmet when riding.... a sure death.

-Do Not Copy Pls-