Honored Contributor

Re: Shocking road acceident

[ Edited ]

I was in a very bad car crash in 2015,  Someone made a left turn thinking they could beat us.  That car was forced to slow down during the turn by the car in front of her.  That car for whatever reason suddenly stopped.  We plowed in to her.  Nothing we could do. I broke my neck (bones) and chest.  It took about 8 months to recover, before I could go back to work. . My husband was driving & he was not as badly injured as I was.  To this day I can't remember the air bags going.  But I remember the smell of coolant from the bags. Car accidents are so common with turns in to traffic.  It was first and only car accident I was ever in.  It was only months later that my husband told me, his thought I had been decapitated.  I was in the passenger seat and am small.  For some reason he remembered a another crash in which a small woman had been decapitated by the air bags.

Trusted Contributor

@songbird

I'm so sorry you went thru that pain & suffering.  I'm glad you did recover & hope you have no existing issues from that time.    Heart

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

This is so heartbreaking...they made it through the military to have this happen. I want to hear what the truck driver’s story is. I certainly hope that texting has not taken more lives.

Esteemed Contributor

I’m anxious to hear details too. 

About young/new drivers, some states have restrictions on how late they can drive and how many others can be in the car with them. 

As far as right of way goes...I sometimes find myself in that situation where someone doesn’t remember the rules and crosses in front of me, taking my right of way. I think to myself “you can be right and you can be dead.”  And I wait. 

Keepin' it real.
Trusted Contributor

Re: Shocking road acceident

[ Edited ]

Our local online news Masslive.com says the truck driver is a 23 yr. old from West Springfield, MA (across the CT River from Spfld. where I live).

He was going east (I think) & the motorcyclists were going west (I think).  The truck driver hit them head on, so I'm guessing he crossed the line.  More facts are definitely needed.  He's got an awful lot of deaths to live with now. 

This story just sickens me.  If it's accurate that they're Marine Vets, then my heart hurts even more for them.  They make it thru very tough & trying times & have it end this way.  I pray for their souls to RIP.  And, thank them all for their service.  The heartbreak all of their families are going thru is unimaginable.  I hope the families will be able to support each other, that might be a small consolation, knowing they aren't alone.  I don't know, it's just very hearbreaking.  I just feel like crying for them all.

For that matter, any family that loses a member needlessly in this way, my heart goes out to them as well.  There's just too much reckless drivers with all the texts, cells, alcohol, drugs, speed, goes on & on.  DH & I are not happy at all with our very blue state approving all these marijuana businesses.  Just what we need to make the roads even more dangerous. We started changing our driving habits to go the back roads instead of all the highways to lessen the danger.  Hopefully, it will help.

Trusted Contributor

@hckynut 

That's just terrible, those poor kids with no parents because, again, another reckless driver.  That's way too late to be out at her age. 

Makes me wonder if they ever go thru driving school?  They definitely need to file much more serious charges against the driver.  The judicial system is way to lenient so many times.

Prayers for those kids that are left parentless.  I hope there's either family members or close friends that will offer them a home.  They'll need comfort & peace during this difficult time.  

Honored Contributor

@hckynut wrote:

Just yesterday in our city 2 people on a motorcycle were killed. How? A young inexperienced 16 year old girl made a left turn, according to witnesses, right in front of the oncoming(having the right of way)motorcyclist. Why? Maybe having 4 other teenage girls in the car, and it was 1:45am. 

Now both mother and father of 3 kids are dead, the 16 year old driver? So far charged only "Failure to yield to oncoming traffic". Hopefully more serious charges will be filed. Were I  driving that vehicle, I would probably still be sitting in a jail cell charged with Vehicular Homicide.

Saying it is sad, for me, is putting it mildly.

hckynut

When my daughter was newly licensed, up until the age of 21 there was curfew and they were only allowed 1 under age passenger in the car unless there was also a parent or guardian as a passenger.

Now they've also added that there must be decals on the license plate showing an underage driver may be using the car.  I don't agree with this part - it's advertising to perverts and nuts.

Respected Contributor

I'm for no Drivers License till 18. Driving ONLY with an adult in car at 16. Stop the madness. I've seen too many parents give a 16 year old their own car for their birthday with disasterous results! Would you give them a LOADED gun as a "just turned 16" present? They both can do the same horrible damage to others....car probably more.

Honored Contributor

@esmerelda wrote:

About young/new drivers, some states have restrictions on how late they can drive and how many others can be in the car with them. 

As far as right of way goes...I sometimes find myself in that situation where someone doesn’t remember the rules and crosses in front of me, taking my right of way. I think to myself “you can be right and you can be dead.”  And I wait. 

@esmerelda, I remind my husband about this all the time, although I use an "or" instead of an "and." 

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Respected Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@esmerelda wrote:

@esmerelda, I remind my husband about this all the time, although I use an "or" instead of an "and." 

This goes to show how much alike a lot of us are.  When my DH would declare, "I had the right of way!" I would respond with, "Surely you've heard of being 'dead right.'"  

Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.