Frequent Contributor

Curious as to who determines the shipping route an item takes to get to you? My item was shipped UPS, than is supposed to be transfered to USPS for delivery. It was a state away to an area that most of the packages that I order usually go to, it is now in my state but for some reason it was sent to an area that is clear across our state and not anywhere remotely close to us. Why on earth would they route it to where it is now and not send it to a closer city like they usually do?

Honored Contributor

The shipping company decides, usually UPS.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

Each shipping company determines the route based on the kind of service that is bought, UPS would use their route and when they hand off to the USPS, they route it.  My packages have taken the same circuitous route once the USPS got it.

This was in the news a couple of years ago that the US Postal Service was determining the most efficient and cost effective for them route.  And in some areas it would increase delivery times. 

Honored Contributor

A lot depends on the shipping option selected by Q and vendors.

A lot of their products ship parcel post, which is the slowest/lowest priority at USPS and relies on independent third parties to move them from place to place. Third parties aren't going to make a trip if it isn't profitable so mail can take a roundabout way.   

Frequent Contributor

UNBELEIVEABLE !!!

NOW it was just sent back to where it normally goes when coming here - so it went clear across our state, back down to the bottom of our state where it should have gone to in the 1st place. Someone clearly from UPS shipping doesn't know what they are doing in routing.

Respected Contributor

@Donna2019 wrote:

Curious as to who determines the shipping route an item takes to get to you? My item was shipped UPS, than is supposed to be transfered to USPS for delivery. It was a state away to an area that most of the packages that I order usually go to, it is now in my state but for some reason it was sent to an area that is clear across our state and not anywhere remotely close to us. Why on earth would they route it to where it is now and not send it to a closer city like they usually do?

Yes, my last iten went on a tour of the USA.

Esteemed Contributor

Seems like it is always the package you are looking forward to the most ends up on the wrong truck and takes the scenic route.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Respected Contributor

QVC has always had a shipping issue. Been shopping with them for years and it never changes. I always build that factor in when I purchase from them, that way there is no disappointment. 

As much as I don't care for Amazon, I use them when I need something to get to my home quickly.

On-line shopping is a way of life for me now, I am in a small town and the closest big stores are a 65 mile round trip. We try to shop local as much as we can, but the on-line fallback is often used, whether it's QVC or elsewhere.

"Cats are poetry in motion. Dogs are gibberish in neutral." -Garfield