Respected Contributor

Shiny. Doesn’t Mean Clean ! ! !

Just as many posters have been cleaning the house, I thought I was done.  Then I noticed a suspicious straight edged line on the vinyl flooring.  One side was bright, the other dingy looking.  

Got a dampened paper towel and discovered that the Haan steamer hasn't been really cleaning the floor.  I wash the velcro pads and switch them out as they get dirty, but

Rather, over years, it has been depositing dirty steam / water and this has been building up.  The vinyl always shines but every place I checked dirt came up on the wet paper towel.  I bought the steamer because at 75 I have had knee problems and thought this would help.

Today I found the cordless handheld bathroom scrubber and sprayed small floor sections.  I was bent over but the small areas easily came clean.  What a difference !!!  I now know that my kitchen and great room are clean as well as shiny.

Found a telescoping cordless scrubber on Amazon:  same brand, cheaper, no shipping and handling, and tax was refunded.  Of course, it won't arrive until I am done !

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Shiny. Doesn’t Mean Clean ! ! !

I have a steam scrubber too but not my favorite tool.  I've always hated those 'pads' that you wash and reuse.  Just seems nasty thing to put in washer; but it does remove black heel marks. 

Whatever works to have clean floors - I'm for.  Hope your new cleaner works well for you.

Honored Contributor

I'm in the same boat as you (age-wise almost) and I use the mop that spins out the water and I use vinegar and water.  I then walk a towel around the floor to dry it and clean it up.  Some corners I need to bend down to do how I want it, but I can't get down anymore either with my knees.   

Honored Contributor

@qualitygal 

I watched how the cleaning lady's clean the floor.  I had vinyl for years and now hardwood they do it the same way to dry floor.  I do not like the floors left wet, as residue remains and builds up. They mop the floor with A mop that has removable mop head I guess clean one for each home. Then to dry they take long  white towel wrapped around the sweeper neck.  It makes a great floor dryer.  That's easy to manipulate.  They remove it as they leave my home and place on their bin   Drys really well.  I am trying to master how exactly they do it.  I might ask so I can do it in between cleanings.  Beats the dancing and doing the twist with floor towel. Although good exercise.  But with my spine I can't do that anymore, but I can move mop forward and back  

Honored Contributor

I did't like my scrubber after a few uses so I trashed it and those nasty pads..  Like you, I "wiped" off the floor after I had just steamed it and couldn't believe what came up on the rag.  Made me angry because I thought I had been doing such a good job.  

Fate whispers to her, "You cannot withstand the storm." She whispers back, "I am the storm."

Honored Contributor

That has been my experience too, but overall, I'm satisfied using a steam cleaner. When I deep clean I'll wash and rinse the hard surfaces, but with no kids or pets in the house, steam cleaning is pretty good.