Honored Contributor

Sherri Papini Released from Prison Less Than a Year After Sentencing

Remember her?

The California mother of two was first arrested last year for fabricating her abduction story. Papini pleaded guilty to mail fraud and making false statements. She was sentenced to 18 months in federal prison in September 2022.

Papini was also sentenced to 36 months of supervised release and ordered to pay $309,902 in restitution to the California Victim Compensation Board, the Social Security Administration, the Shasta County Sheriff’s Office, and the Federal Bureau of Investigation.

Her attorney, William Portanova, then also noted his client had undergone intense “public shame” as a result of the “awful hoax.” 

Honored Contributor

Re: Sherri Papini Released from Prison Less Than a Year After Sentencing

@San Antonio Gal 

I don't know what to say about this! She needs lots of counseling (imo) to learn how to direct the solving of her problems in a productive, constructive way!

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Respected Contributor

I don't think spending more time behind bars will help fix what's broken with her, I just hope they enforce collecting the restitution!

Trusted Contributor

@San Antonio Gal wrote:

Remember her?

The California mother of two was first arrested last year for fabricating her abduction story. Papini pleaded guilty to mail fraud and making false statements. She was sentenced to 18 months in federal prison in September 2022.

Papini was also sentenced to 36 months of supervised release and ordered to pay $309,902 in restitution to the California Victim Compensation Board, the Social Security Administration, the Shasta County Sheriff’s Office, and the Federal Bureau of Investigation.

Her attorney, William Portanova, then also noted his client had undergone intense “public shame” as a result of the “awful hoax.” 

The anxiety she caused her family and friends, not to mention the resources wasted trying to locate her, I am hard pressed to feel sorry for her "intense public shame".

I know, it's not very forgiving of me, but I can't help but think of those resources wasted, that could have helped someone else who truly needed it, and perhaps went without.  

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

She was another delusional gal who thought she was too pretty - like that other gal Jodi Arias who murdered and thought she'd get away from the consequences.  She said she was too pretty to be covicted.  

Pappini used people.   She used them for what she wanted and used the law to play out her kidnapping scheme.  She lied and blamed minority women for the kidnapping and beating. 

I would want her to have more time in prison along with mental help and the fines she was given. No empathy here.    

Never Forget the Native American Indian Holocaust
Trusted Contributor

Wonder if Carlee Russell will do any time. As I understand, she only got 2 misdemeanor charges.

Respected Contributor

@San Antonio Gal  Thanks for the post ~ I hadn't seen anything about it on my newsfeed. Sounds ridiculous and I'm surprised she didn't serve more time. Too bad...

Respected Contributor

To me, justice was served and it does not seem wrong that Sherri was released.  Everybody knows her name and what she did.  I don't care if she gets mental help or not. If she stays messed up in the head, I don't like her enough to say that I don't wish her well.  Let her just pay the restitution and go back to jail if she violates.

Respected Contributor

I wonder why she owes the social security administration money?

I don't mind her getting out of prison early, but I hope she repays what she owes for her foolishness 

Respected Contributor

AS long as she pays her restitution, that is the most important thing, mental counseling as well. Did she ever say why she fabricated the story?