Esteemed Contributor

I have a very good friend,  we've been friends for all of our lives since we were young.  We went out to dinner with our husbands her husband immediately as soon as the waiter greeted us asked for separate checks .   My friend didn't seem to think anything of it . My husband and I were very surprised, my husband found it insulting .   I've never been out with couples where that was asked ,  we always just split the bill however many of us couples there are , friends or family.  Now when her and I go out to lunch just us we split our bill at her suggestion .    Maybe many people do this I've just never come across it til now .  🤔

Respected Contributor

Re: Separate checks ??

[ Edited ]

I wouldn't think anything about it whatsoever. No big thing.

"Cats are poetry in motion. Dogs are gibberish in neutral." -Garfield
Honored Contributor

DH and I ask for separate checks up front unless we are paying for everything. Then he tells the waitress or waiter to put it all on one check.

I don't find it insulting at all.

Respected Contributor

We always ask for separate checks when we go to lunch or dinner with friends or family.   I have never felt insulted at all.

I do not drink and if my friends do, we tell the wait staff up front so as not to have any confusion.  

I would find it too confusing to try to search over the check figuring out who had what and how much they owe.  And some may want to pay with a credit card and some may pay with cash.

“I heard the sound I had to follow”
In Your Wildest Dreams by Justin Hayward
Honored Contributor

DH and I always get separate checks, unless we are treating.  

I have friends (women) that when we have lunch or dinner out two of the women drink...I have no intention paying for anyone's alcohol.   One glass on the bill is not a big deal but multiple glasses is where I draw the line.

No one thinks anything of asking for separate checks.

Esteemed Contributor

I don't see the problem. Unless someone offers to pay the bill, it's less confusing to have separate checks rather than dividing it up. The way everyone is even and pays for they ordered. I don't why it would be insulting. 

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Trusted Contributor

@4kitties wrote:

We always ask for separate checks when we go to lunch or dinner with friends or family.   I have never felt insulted at all.

I do not drink and if my friends do, we tell the wait staff up front so as not to have any confusion.  

I would find it too confusing to try to search over the check figuring out who had what and how much they owe.  And some may want to pay with a credit card and some may pay with cash.

I always pay my portion with cash UNLESS I am picking up the bill for everyone.  Since old age has set upon me self I always have a glass of water with my meal and occasionally a drink, but that is a rarity.  

Esteemed Contributor

While it's nice to have separate checks.....we never ask for that. It appears cheap. Unless the wait staff automatically give separate checks, we just split the bill. 

Respected Contributor

@Kitty Galore, I wouldn't feel insulted. Perhaps he should have mentioned to you first instead of the waitstaff but I wouldn't think anything of it. It may be a reflexive reaction because of previous dinners with others who fail to pay their fair amount.

Respected Contributor

I don't see a problem with it, I do it frequently.  I don't want to pay for someone who has steak and drinks and I have a salad and water.  Eating out is pricey.