Honored Contributor

Sen. Rand Paul Tests Positive

But is asymptomatic. He feels good, is in quarantine, and is working from there.
Source: Foxnews site

So people are being tested before showing symptoms? Are there that many test kits?
Respected Contributor

Re: Sen. Rand Paul Tests Positive

Yep...“Senator Rand Paul has tested positive for covid 19 . He is feeling fine and is in quarantine,” a Twitter announcement stated.

“He is asymptomatic and was tested out of an abundance of caution due to his extensive travel and events. He was not aware of any direct contact with any infected persons.”

"He expects to be back in the Senate after his quarantine period ends and will continue to work for the people of Kentucky at this difficult time. Ten days ago, his D.C. office began operating remotely, hence virtually no staff has had contact with Senator Rand Paul."....

Honored Contributor

He didn't self isolate while awaiting his results. Apparently he worked out in the congressional gym and went swimming in the pool, and ate lunch with other congressmen. With this kind of example, that's how we get the spring breakers thinking their behavior is fine.

I don't think this thread should get political. It's more of a human thing. What do you do when you are in a public position of influence and something like this happens.

Also, if he says he had no symptoms and no contact with anyone he knew had the virus, how did he know to get tested?

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Just goes to show that you don't know who has it or even if you have it yourself. That's the terrible thing about this virus. Why bother to test anyone unless it's to confirm a medical diagnosis of COVID-19. People just need to act like we all have the virus...period.

Honored Contributor

@porcelain read morning lover's post which is the article I read (but paraphrased due to copyright) which gives a reason why he got tested. But as I said in my OP I didn't think there was such an abundance of tests for the reasons he gave for being tested.
Esteemed Contributor

He got tested the same way NBA players got tested,  movie people got tested.

The average person with symptoms can't get tested.  It's a sad fact of life. Who you are determines what you get.

I just read this (said jokingly), "if you need to get tested and can't, cough in a rich person's face and wait for their results."

And no, don't actually cough in anyone's face.  It was said to prove a point, the rich will get tested at the first sneeze, the rest of us can die waiting for the ok for a test.

Honored Contributor

So sorry to hear that and hope that he, like all those stricken with Covid-19, has no complications and as quick a recovery as possible.

Poor guy-- I wonder if the violent attack he sustained a couple of years ago contributed to his vulnerability.  He had multiple broken ribs, compromised lungs, and has recurring bouts of pneumonia that is attributed to the assault.  I hadn't heard recently how that was going, but I remember he had long term lung problems.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Yes .......In 2019, Sen. Paul had part of his lung removed after a 2017 attack by his neighbor at his home in Bowling Green, Kentucky. The attack also left the senator with six broken ribs and bruised lungs.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Okay so if we could all be tested, what difference would that make? We should all be practicing social distancing anyway. 

The only valid reason why a test should be performed should be to confirm a diagnosis of COVID-19 so that medical care, if needed, could be done properly as to prevent further spread amongst others within medical facilities.

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

Just goes to show that you don't know who has it or even if you have it yourself. That's the terrible thing about this virus. Why bother to test anyone unless it's to confirm a medical diagnosis of COVID-19. People just need to act like we all have the virus...period.

Agreed for the most part, but I see it as an argument to make more tests available generally.

People are not going to act as if they actually have COVID-19. They'll try to avoid getting and giving it. They'll act with the mindset of being potentially contagious. But it would be completely different and all the more urgent if you found out you actually had it, regardless of symptoms.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr