Valued Contributor
I've been selling online for 20+ years as a part time hobby. Here's my 2 cents.

I don't have Facebook, so have never sold on Marketplace but I've heard as others have mentioned that it can be VERY sketchy, so buyers and sellers both beware!

NEVER allow someone to come to your home unless selling something so big it's hard to move. Get their license plate info in advance and meet them outside, NO ONE EVER comes inside my home. 99% of the rest of local sales are met in a well lit PUBLIC area with lots of people around during daytime hours only. Grocery stores or even next to your local police department headquarters. Honest people would have no issues with this. If they balk at meeting next to the police department, cut off all contact (and block them from contacting you) with that person and cancel the transaction with them.

For online sales, as a seller, get tracking on EVERYTHING. Once proof of delivery is met, your end of the contractual obligation is done. I only use PayPal as well as it protects you as the seller (and buyer in some cases). Even moreso if you have picture proof of the delivery, you as the seller are finished with the transaction.

For the OP, the guy is trying to scam you. You upheld your part of the transaction and have picture & tracking proof it was delivered. The money is yours. Let him file a police report if he insists it was stolen (I doubt will happen once you call his bluff-they usually realize they've been caught trying to scam and you never hear from them again). Do NOT refund him any money. Good luck!
Respected Contributor

@roeroe1005   As I have read in some of the responses.....it is not your fault nor responsibility since he claims/admitted that the package was delivered.  

He is saying that it was stolen so how is that in any way your fault?  

I would give everything I own just to have you back again.......David Gates of Bread
Trusted Contributor

Thanks everyone! 

Just a follow up on this - as of today, he has not contacted me.  I can see if it got lost while being shipped.  But as it was delivered to his door, I'm not in the "security" business.Woman Wink

Valued Contributor

It seems to me that if UPS provides proof of delivery then you have fulfilled your part of the bargain as a private party vs a business. Several things I've read on line all say that UPS will not cover items that have been delivered and subsequently stolen. A business would be in a position to replace an item in the name of good will but private party sales are not the same.  

If the package was stolen then the receiver should report the theft to the police.  In my mind, this situation is no different than if you bought something at a store, put it into your car, and continued your shopping trip.  If your car was later broken into and that purchase was stolen would you go back to the store and ask for a refund/replacement because someone stole it from your car? 

I agree that UPS does not send a photo of delivery. Amazon does and sometimes Fedex does if the shipper requests it because I've gotten photos from Fedex in some cases.  Maybe in the future, if you sell a lot this way, request that the package be signed for.  Might cost extra but would save a lot of hassle.