Respected Contributor

Re: Selling Doll Collection…

Sadly, all the costs, and hard to find a place for them.  My mom had dozens of expensive Hummel’s, ebay, some were on there for $2.  My dad said I’ll give them free before that mess.  I took two small ones, and some family members took a few.  Sadly, she bought them as an investment.  The rest went to goodwill.  

She also had two or three Rubbermaid’s full of beanie babies.  They were sealed, boxed, not open.  Police, hospitals, fire departments, no one would take them.  Goodwill didn’t want them.  Finally put them out marked free on Halloween night.  Kids got candy and a beanie baby if the parents approved.  They were gone in an hour.  We were so happy.  Kids seemed thrilled, and they didn’t end up in the trash.  Another investment.   Those were days long before next door app and other free give away apps.  

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@NYCLatinaMe wrote:

@agb80 glad to read you are not in need of funds.  There are places that will pick up furniture donations.  I believe that Salvation Army does, I guess it may depend on where you live.  I also know of churches and other charities where I live that sell furniture and would pick up.  So you may want to look at charitable organizations in your area that run sales, they may be willing to pick up.  Why hang on to something you don't need when someone else does?

I fully understand why you wouldn't be willing to pay to ship to a purchaser, but think that sometimes we have to pay to dispose of certain things, so, just a different way to look at it. 

@NYCLatinaMe the decision making process of what to do with our deceased parent's furniture was not mine alone to make but we all were in agreement that we would not accept insulting low ball offers.  The pieces I took I'm glad I have. I'm not sure what my siblings did with the pieces they chose, if they still have them or sold or donated.     

Esteemed Contributor

@agb80 wrote:

@NYCLatinaMe wrote:

@agb80 glad to read you are not in need of funds.  There are places that will pick up furniture donations.  I believe that Salvation Army does, I guess it may depend on whereu live.  I also know of churches and other charities where I live that sell furniture and would pick up.  So you may want to look at charitable organizations in your area that run sales, they may be willing to pick up.  Why hang on to something you don't need when someone else does?

I fully understand why you wouldn't be willing to pay to ship to a purchaser, but think that sometimes we have to pay to dispose of certain things, so, just a different way to look at it. 

@NYCLatinaMe the decision making process of what to do with our deceased parent's furniture was not mine alone to make but we all were in agreement that we would not accept insulting low ball offers.  The pieces I took I'm glad I have. I'm not sure what my siblings did with the pieces they chose, if they still have them or sold or donated.     

@agb80 I made the recommendation because you wrote you had no space for the furniture, and were just keeping it to avoid "being taken advantage of."  Maybe that has changed, so enjoy!

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

Go to a Consignment shop maybe they will sell them and you can get a little money for them.