Honored Contributor

Re: Selling Doll Collection…

@agb80 If they hauled off that stuff without me having to haul it off or pay to have it hauled off, I was happy to be taken advantage of!  DELIGHTED!  

Respected Contributor

When my mother entered a nursing home I gave most of her furniture to a couple of the CNA's who cared for her and they where happy to receive these items. After she passed I donated all of her clothes to a shelter that ministers to the homeless.Thankfully she was not a collector.  It would never occur to me to try and sell her furniture and clothes. There is always someone who needs the basics. I didn't need the furniture.  I do not feel like donating to charity is being taken advantage of. 

Many churches, and animal shelters run thrift stores with all of the proceeds going back to the shelters. Like other have posted please do not take used toys, dolls and stuffed animals to hospitals or try to donate them to Toys for Tots. These organizations cannot use these items for good reasons. 

Honored Contributor

Our Goodwill  will no longer accept TVs w/picture tubes or upholstered furniture.

When I lose the TV controller, it's always in some remote destination.
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@LMinAZ wrote:

@tends2dogs wrote:

Someone mentioned having to get rid of silverware that their kids didn't want.  My parents had a great collection of silver in a beautiful grape pattern.  They had a lot of fun over the years searching for pieces to make up a set.  They were used often.  When they passed, we took several pieces and had bracelets make from them.....one for each of the female relatives.  They are a great keepsake and remembrance of happy, family get togethers.  

Just a thought...

This is a great idea.  One of my friends did the same thing with her mom's tea cup collection.  She sent one to each female member of her family, as a remembrance of her mother. She kept one or two for herself.  It is also important that your parents had fun putting the collection together.  Plus the silverware was "used often."  To me that is a core issue.  If you collect, love it and enjoy it to the fullest while you are on this earth.

@LMinAZ My parents collected many things.  My mom always told my sister and me, "We have enjoyed finding and looking at our many "treasures".  We don't expect you to like what we do, so don't ever feel bad getting rid of anything after we are gone.  I have told my daughter the same thing.  I like my things, she doesn't have to.  We kept many things, but had a huge estate sale.  I have to admit to the OP, it is a lot of work for very little return.  

One man's treasure is another man's junk. Woman Wink People should buy things because they like it, not with the idea of resale.  They will always be disappointed.  

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@agb80 glad to read you are not in need of funds.  There are places that will pick up furniture donations.  I believe that Salvation Army does, I guess it may depend on where you live.  I also know of churches and other charities where I live that sell furniture and would pick up.  So you may want to look at charitable organizations in your area that run sales, they may be willing to pick up.  Why hang on to something you don't need when someone else does?

I fully understand why you wouldn't be willing to pay to ship to a purchaser, but think that sometimes we have to pay to dispose of certain things, so, just a different way to look at it. 

Respected Contributor

@Group 5 minus 1 wrote:

Our Goodwill  will no longer accept TVs w/picture tubes or upholstered furniture.

@Group 5 minus 1   I replaced the builder's grade chandelier and pendant light fixtures in my home shortly after we moved in . Goodwill would not take them. I guess it is because they have no way to test them like they would a lamp. I found a thrift store that was operated by a church and I donated to them. 

Contributor

Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

When I cleaned out my parents' house, I donated the furniture and appliances to Habitat.  The clothing went to Goodwill, as did the shoes.  Books, CDs and DVDs were spread amoung five or six libraries (I had about six hundred or more):  each sells these items to make money for its general fund.  

Trusted Contributor

Jack, the dolls were for children.  They weren't even offered to them - the adult intercepted them.  That is what angered me.  I specifically donated "for children."

Honored Contributor

@amyb - My SIL belongs to a doll collector's club. She is a long-time collector of rare dolls. She never had children. She is older than I and I'm not sure what she will do. 

If I were you I would try to find one of these clubs. I'm sure someone would be able to give you advice. Good luck!   Smiley Happy