Valued Contributor

The first selfie ever was in 1839.

Hey you, get off of my cloud...
Honored Contributor

Self-portraits have been around for a zillion yrs......it's the advent of social media that flipped the definition to "selfie".

That's why the Oxford Dictionary extended the definition to create the image on smartphone/webcam & to post on social media. The Mona Lisa is not a selfie...it's a portrait. And when Vincent van Gogh painted himself, it's considered a self-portrait....not a selfie. The phrase 'social media' is key to the definition. Make sense? Can't explain it better than that.

Trusted Contributor

I don't want to look at myself in a picture especially one I have taken. Don't see the point. I know what I look like.

Super Contributor

NEVER! I hate pictures of myself.

Super Contributor
On 7/23/2014 BonnieBelle said:

NEVER! I hate pictures of myself.

i have not had a picture taken on me in probably 15 years... just my DL picture... I hate pictures!

Valued Contributor
On 7/23/2014 sidsmom said:

Self-portraits have been around for a zillion yrs......it's the advent of social media that flipped the definition to "selfie".

That's why the Oxford Dictionary extended the definition to create the image on smartphone/webcam & to post on social media. The Mona Lisa is not a selfie...it's a portrait. And when Vincent van Gogh painted himself, it's considered a self-portrait....not a selfie. The phrase 'social media' is key to the definition. Make sense? Can't explain it better than that.

friends of mine and I were using the term prior to the Oxford Dictionary deciding their take on what it means...

Honored Contributor
On 7/23/2014 Ford1224 said:

I'm going to try to take one when the dentist is done with my teeth.

I tried to take one a couple of years ago and wound up with a photo of me holding a camera in front of my face. I used the bathroom mirror . . . I thought that's how one did it. I haven't tried again since.

you dont need to use a mirror.....my phone has a feature on the camera where you can reverse the lens and see yourself. just hold the phone away from you and click.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor
On 7/23/2014 sunshine45 said:
On 7/23/2014 Ford1224 said:

I'm going to try to take one when the dentist is done with my teeth.

I tried to take one a couple of years ago and wound up with a photo of me holding a camera in front of my face. I used the bathroom mirror . . . I thought that's how one did it. I haven't tried again since.

you dont need to use a mirror.....my phone has a feature on the camera where you can reverse the lens and see yourself. just hold the phone away from you and click.

Mine too. Of course I didn't know that at first and was trying to take a picture of someone else and couldn't figure out why the phone wanted to take my picture. I must have hit that feature and didn't know it.

Valued Contributor

I used to do it with the camera on a tripod and a remote trigger in my hand. I got some good ones of me with our old dog one time

The ""first"" one I mentioned was a guy with an 8 to 15 second exposure at the infancy of photography.

Honored Contributor

Life Hack for taking pictures: using your volume button on your iPhone's headset.

One of iOS 5's coolest shortcuts is the ability to take a picture using your phone's volume up button, making it act a bit more like a real camera. However, what you may not have realized is that using the volume up button on the Apple Remote Earphones—which come with every iPhone—will also take a picture. That way, you can put your iPhone on a DIY tripod and take a picture of you and your friends from far away, or just take a super-steady picture without your hands muddying up the shot.