Frequent Contributor

I do not like self-check out lines at all.  At Wal-mart regular check out lines are huge because there are only 2 that are open.  They are trying to herd us to the self-check outs.

To me, I believe this is going to push people, as myself, to just order things more and more from Amazon, destroying more businesses with their shooting-themselves-in-the-foot ideas.   I found today, to my disappointment, that Lowe's Home Improvement Store is going the same route with the self-check outs.  Next step will be going into the stockroom and get items right out of the boxes.  Why not?

Respected Contributor

I like to do self check out.  I can bag my items just as I like and when I get home it is so much easier to unbag  and put them away.  

I usually combine errands and I keep a cooler in my car.  I can bag the frozen and refrigerated items so that I can fit them in.  

I am also careful with my eggs and fragile items.  Sometimes store employees are not!

“I heard the sound I had to follow”
In Your Wildest Dreams by Justin Hayward
Honored Contributor

The big box stores have enough trouble with theft when customers are in the open where everybody can see them.  Imagine what they'd do in the stockroom.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@cornicopia   I always did my best not to use the self check at Walmart.  I started bringing my own bags about 2 months ago, so I did not bring home the plastic bags that walmart uses....the checkers are not allowed to touch my bags!!!

Trying to grab my items and place in my bag and also keep up with putting groceries on the counter for checking out, I just gave up and check myself out.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@4kitties wrote:

I like to do self check out.  I can bag my items just as I like and when I get home it is so much easier to unbag  and put them away.  

I usually combine errands and I keep a cooler in my car.  I can bag the frozen and refrigerated items so that I can fit them in.  

I am also careful with my eggs and fragile items.  Sometimes store employees are not!

We do the same thing.  

Super Contributor

I don't mind. Prefer it actually. I've been doing it for years.

My parents order online. Drive to store & someone loads it in their car. 

Trusted Contributor

I won't use self-check out.  If a store can't be bothered to hire cashiers, I can't be bothered to shop there.  

Respected Contributor

I started using them years ago to avoid Target employees harassing me to sign up for their Red Card credit card! Never looked back.

"Cats are poetry in motion. Dogs are gibberish in neutral." -Garfield
Respected Contributor

I hate self-checkouts. Hire more workers, please. 

Trusted Contributor

In my area they are only opening 1 or 2 registers (one being 12 items or less). That pushes everyone to self check out.

I don't mind self check out, but I feel bad that this is the way Walmart is making back their raise in wages for employees. Pay some a higher wage, and lay the rest off. They won't hire them back.

That is the part I don't like. Also, waiting for the attendant at self check out when myself and 7 other people mess up and have to have them come fix it. Sometimes the poor attendant is running from register to register from people scanning something in twice by accident or scanning and having it come up a different price and so on.