Reply
Trusted Contributor
Posts: 1,789
Registered: ‎03-12-2010

Re: Seeing Medication Ads in a New Light


@SunValley wrote:

Lawsuits on undisclosed side effects have forced drug companies to put all the possible dire consequences in their ads. Same for the ridiculous cautions on cleaners, automotive products, etc. I wasn't told drinking battery acid could harm me, so I'm suing for $500M...


@SunValley Like the Gorilla Glue lady-- the bottle didn't say not to put the glue on her head

Honored Contributor
Posts: 20,725
Registered: ‎03-10-2010

Re: Seeing Medication Ads in a New Light


@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@lovesrecess wrote:
We would all probably stop taking all meds if we looked at the “ possible” side effects. Everything listed is due to the advice of their attorneys, but some that include “you may stop breathing or go blind” would make me steer clear of those!

@lovesrecess   The best line yet. "May cause death". Oh yea! I want that drug!👏


@SeaMaiden  I see that on the drugs I take. It means nothing. Just covering their a**.


@proudlyfromNJ  That is what the pharmaceutical companies hope their customers do....just feel that it means "nothing".....

Trusted Contributor
Posts: 1,198
Registered: ‎06-02-2014

Re: Seeing Medication Ads in a New Light

@Marp 

 

A doctor we know told us that people watch the commercials and then push for those medications

when they come for appts.  He also said many of

the new medications are not much different from the

older ones, maybe a slight change which allows them

to advertise as new.

 

I have known people who are drug addicts with prescription drugs.  They have any imaginable drug

at the ready for any kind of non-perfect situation.

 

I remember the mother of one of our son's girlfriends

in high school would bring out drugs for all sorts of things:

tired from shopping, nervous about a presentation, you name it.  She was a very nice lady. but I remember being

a little surprised.  We were in our early forties.

 

I just think there has to be a balance.  If a person needs to take drugs for definite health related issues, then that make sense.  But life does have ups and downs that maybe we shouldn't try to medicate through.

Respected Contributor
Posts: 2,199
Registered: ‎02-13-2021

Re: Seeing Medication Ads in a New Light

".....I just think there has to be a balance.  If a person needs to take drugs for definite health related issues, then that make sense.  But life does have ups and downs that maybe we shouldn't try to medicate through."

 

Life's ups and downs?  You mean financial difficulty, or like when people develop illnesses (severe) that warrant strong medications with deathly side affects?

 

A lot of the medications advertised on t.v. are for medical issues people could live with.  Dry eye, comes to mind.





A Negative Mind ~ Will give you a Negative Life
Honored Contributor
Posts: 12,694
Registered: ‎05-01-2010

Re: Seeing Medication Ads in a New Light


@SeaMaiden wrote:

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@lovesrecess wrote:
We would all probably stop taking all meds if we looked at the “ possible” side effects. Everything listed is due to the advice of their attorneys, but some that include “you may stop breathing or go blind” would make me steer clear of those!

@lovesrecess   The best line yet. "May cause death". Oh yea! I want that drug!👏


@SeaMaiden  I see that on the drugs I take. It means nothing. Just covering their a**.


@proudlyfromNJ  That is what the pharmaceutical companies hope their customers do....just feel that it means "nothing".....


@SeaMaiden  People who get drugs aren't customers, they are patients. I guess I am taking my chances on dying taking medications. Sorry I disagreed with you.

Honored Contributor
Posts: 20,725
Registered: ‎03-10-2010

Re: Seeing Medication Ads in a New Light


@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@lovesrecess wrote:
We would all probably stop taking all meds if we looked at the “ possible” side effects. Everything listed is due to the advice of their attorneys, but some that include “you may stop breathing or go blind” would make me steer clear of those!

@lovesrecess   The best line yet. "May cause death". Oh yea! I want that drug!👏


@SeaMaiden  I see that on the drugs I take. It means nothing. Just covering their a**.


@proudlyfromNJ  That is what the pharmaceutical companies hope their customers do....just feel that it means "nothing".....


@SeaMaiden  People who get drugs aren't customers, they are patients. I guess I am taking my chances on dying taking medications. Sorry I disagreed with you.


 @proudlyfromNJ     You do not have to feel sorry at all that you have a differing of opinion..... I just feel "patients" are at the mercy of Big Pharm puting out these commercials with the uplifting music and the positive narrative telling how wonderful life will be taking this or that drug.... and at the end quickly telling about the dangers like they are not important  that you can barely hear as part of the consideration to weigh taking it or not. The "patient" becomes a pawn here...  I hate Big Pharm... they are only out for themselves.

Esteemed Contributor
Posts: 6,402
Registered: ‎06-10-2015

Re: Seeing Medication Ads in a New Light

@Marp ...........taking medication of any type is dangerous.  A person can have side effects to any medication from a simple rash to death.  It has always been that way.  When I worked in the doctors office and would give medications to patients, we always took out the information from the drug manufacturer.  The side effects would scare the be-jesus out of people.

Fear Is Incomplete Knowledge---Agatha Christie
Honored Contributor
Posts: 12,694
Registered: ‎05-01-2010

Re: Seeing Medication Ads in a New Light


@Imaoldhippie wrote:

@Marp ...........taking medication of any type is dangerous.  A person can have side effects to any medication from a simple rash to death.  It has always been that way.  When I worked in the doctors office and would give medications to patients, we always took out the information from the drug manufacturer.  The side effects would scare the be-jesus out of people.


@Imaoldhippie  No wonder people don't want the Covid vaccine.

Honored Contributor
Posts: 30,276
Registered: ‎08-23-2010

Re: Seeing Medication Ads in a New Light

[ Edited ]

@northiie57 wrote:

 


@CalmInTheHeart wrote:

I a senior and on fixed income. I have a respiratory condition and been going without an inhaler because I can't afford it. It's been very tough.

 

I saw on tv that there is a new generic inhaler. I looked it up online, compared it to the name brands, and price checked it on GoodRX. It had the exact same ingredients as the name brand my doctor wanted me to use but it is 33% of the price. I called my doctor and he prescribed it. It works very well and I can afford it.


Thank you so much!  I have been trying for months to refill mine but I could not afford it.  They finally gave me a affordable price with GoodRx!!!  I have tried and tried with GoodRX before on my inhaler and it was way to expensive and my drug coverage insurance hardly covers anything.  I cannot tell you how grateful I am that you posted this information.  Thanks again!


 

 

Now THIS is an example if how important it can be to "get the word out there" about various medications.  

 

Pharma companies used to do a lot of advertising in newspapers and magazines, but most people don't buy them and read them as people did decades ago.

 

@northiie57    So glad you now have what you need .... Woman LOL

Honored Contributor
Posts: 30,276
Registered: ‎08-23-2010

Re: Seeing Medication Ads in a New Light


@happygal wrote:

I was under the impression that the drugs advertised on TV are newer drugs.  Unless desperate, I would prefer tried and true meds, not newer ones.

 

Those ads go on so long, so you know they are expensive.  And everyone looks so happy and healthy, attractive people.  I find them annoying and mute the TV.


@happygal 

 

Many of them are recently-approved medications.  

 

I look at it this way ... if something might provide relief or better quality of life, and in clinical trials one person in ten thousand has a severe reaction, I can weigh the odds and do more research.   No one is forcing us to take anything.  

 

IMO the up-side for some patients who have difficulty discussing things with an MD (not everyone is totally forthcoming with their doctors), a problem not previously mentioned might come to light because the patient saw an ad on TV.   As always, discussing these things with the MD brings clarity.

 

TV advertising is VERY expensive, so I assume advertising is a chunk of the budgets.  If they don't advertise on TV ... WHERE should they advertise that reaches the intended group?   No one here has come up with an alternative, unless I missed it.