Respected Contributor

Re: Security Risks with Smart TVs

OMG....if there's a camera on the TeeVee in my bedroom, I'm in trouble!!!

But no one else will have to worry....whoever is monitoring it will be dead from boredom.

Seriously...has anyone but ME noticed the obsession with security today...when SO MANY PEOPLE post thier life stories on So Shull Media with impunity????

Cognitive DIssonance.

"I need a 1000 dollar security system to protect me, but I'll spend all day on So Shull Media posting EVERYTHING about myself, my family, my friends, my travel plans, my feelings about my boss at work ( and I wonder why I never get promoted!!!) and my shoe size!!!!

And....I post a photo of my lunchtime bologna sandwich every day!!!!

And sometimes, I post a ridiculous selfie of myself "being afraid" of getting on my Peloton cycle ( after I removed last night's bath towel I hung on it to dry)..so I can get this last bit of blubber (1 oz) off my hips before my husband comes home from his "night out" with his secretary!!!! ( they were going over tax forms.)

Sheeeeeeeeeesh.

Honored Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

I do not understand. Who has a camera on their TV?  Or a microphone? None of my TV's have these.

I do not have those either.  I would never have Alexa either.  I think the commercial is funny when people come in the house and ask alexa to do everything.  Too hi tech and invasive for me.  This kind of technology is opening up a whole new can of worms.  But this is my opinion.Smiley Happy 

Honored Contributor

@Lilysmom wrote:

@cotton4me @Nuttmeg  this has been nagging at the back of my mind.  I see on one of my smart TVs that I am signed in when it turns on.  When it comes time to dispose, we will have to ensure that all personal data is removed.  I don't see the need for a new tv in my near future and I usually give my tv's to family but security is a concern.  

Thanks for posting.  It is a good reminder.  LM

Do you think people will still purchase these TV's?

Honored Contributor

It's hard to imagine how smart TV's could invade your privacy or compromise your security.  They don't have cameras or microphones - at least, not the ones I've seen.  Can anyone explain?  Thank you!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

MOST Smart TVs do not have cameras or microphones.  Watch this (from Consumer Reports 101):

"Is Your TV Watching You?"

https://www.consumerreports.org/video/view/electronics/televisions-streaming-media/5998318000001/sma...

Esteemed Contributor

@ValuSkr wrote:

It's hard to imagine how smart TV's could invade your privacy or compromise your security.  They don't have cameras or microphones - at least, not the ones I've seen.  Can anyone explain?  Thank you!

@ValuSkr,  if you have a smart TV that has voice control there is a built in microphone.  As to built in cameras...

Using the Built-in Camera in Samsung F Series SMART TV

Taking photos and recording video is now fun with LG Smart TV built-in camera. Capture your precious moments and enjoy the photos and videos on your Smart LED TV big screen!

Those are just two of the brands I found doing a quick search on the phrase television with built in camera.  I'm certain there are more.

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Honored Contributor

@Marp 

I did not know about those kinds of TVs. Must be relatively new, ey?   Anyway, after reading your post I went back and edited my last post and put in "MOST Smart TVs" ...