Honored Contributor

Honestly, I would not want to be a teacher right now. 

I have several friends who retired last year, and this year, and they are thankful not to have to be dealing with this. 

Teaching is already hard. You are under paid, over managed, and hands tied to really do what you know can work. Add on all the accommodations for a virus and oh my!

I'm glad my kid is not in school anymore, but not as much for the virus safety issues as how interrupted the learning has been and will be for the next school year. I'm sure there are many many kids not getting the education/services/attention they need and I'm sure in a few years there will be lots of information about all that was lost in this time.

Honored Contributor

This is such a tough situation.  Many households both parents have to work.  They cannot afford for one parent to stay home and be a teacher.  If kids cannot go to school maybe there should be a supplement for one parent to stay home with the home schooling.  Otherwise how is this all going to work for working parents.  Kids should not be forced back to school if it is not safe.  I just saw on the news this morning that yes places are open but rules and regulations seem to be out the door.  

Honored Contributor

Wow.  I live in Georgia and even we haven't had any decision on schools yet and they go back usually the first week in August.  

I was laughing when I went to Target this weekend and they were putting the back to school displays up.  I was waiting for the parents with their tongues out, on their knees praying in the aisles, hoping against hope that, yes, it will happen again.  LOL

Esteemed Contributor

@Lali1 wrote:

@LindaSal wrote:

In RI our governor has announced the same, schools are back in session starting the 31st of August.   I'm glad my kids are grown too but the fact is mine are more at risk working out there everyday.  These kids, IMO, need to get back to some structure and normalcy.  I know how serious this matter is but I feel and have always felt we have to be cautious but we cannot stop living our lives.  Keep up hopes for a vaccine soon!

I agree. Not all children are in safe happy homes and those kids are so much better off in school where people are looking out for them. 

SO many students also do not have the technology for on line learning or a support structure at home. Just further divides those who have the means and those who do not.  How many children got left behind with these shutdowns so far.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Honored Contributor

@happycat   I think sending kids back to school is going to be one more chapter in this health disaster tale. I’d hate to have kids and need to decide on what to do. I’d absolutely hate the government dictating that my kids have to go back when I might not feel it is safe.

Honored Contributor

@kitcat51 wrote:

The college my granddaughter attends already announced the campus won't reopen in August & all classes will continue online. The large charter school in my town announced the same because they realize just getting kids to & from school on buses is a no go. The Governor & a team of educators are suppose to come up with a grand plan for opening public schools in August but since the State isn't completely open yet that to be determined plan seems pie in the sky. All schools should announce their plans ASAP so parents can prepare & they should also have a plan in place to go online immediately if needed...kids can't miss months of school again.

@kitcat51 

my daughters university will be doing a combination of online learning (via zoom, which she did for part of the spring semester) and in person classes. they will be required to wear a mask when they are in classrooms and buildings. she is happy they are at least doing that, but would really prefer to be in the classroom full time. he was upset that all of her classes this semester were graded as pass/fail. she was not even supposed to be here this upcoming semester, but was supposed to be studying abroad.

no word yet on what maryland public schools will be doing.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@Lali1 wrote:

@LindaSal wrote:

In RI our governor has announced the same, schools are back in session starting the 31st of August.   I'm glad my kids are grown too but the fact is mine are more at risk working out there everyday.  These kids, IMO, need to get back to some structure and normalcy.  I know how serious this matter is but I feel and have always felt we have to be cautious but we cannot stop living our lives.  Keep up hopes for a vaccine soon!

I agree. Not all children are in safe happy homes and those kids are so much better off in school where people are looking out for them. 

SO many students also do not have the technology for on line learning or a support structure at home. Just further divides those who have the means and those who do not.  How many children got left behind with these shutdowns so far.

Very insightful, this is so true

Valued Contributor

@CrazyDaisy @sunshine 919   I agree.

You will have families that have the means and won't risk putting their child on a crowded bus or in a school---and they will most likely also have the means for the child to be taught at home. 

Then you will have those that have to put themselves in harms way just to get to school, much less the potential lack of safety precautions and increased risk of contracting the virus. 

Those same children will also take the virus home to family members, some who may be in high risk categories.

I hope someone(s) super smart have a well thought out plan/s that will work. I believe it was @Mominohio that mentioned a system so that multiple school districts can compare what is working and what isn't......

My daughter is an elementary teacher in an already crowded school district. Last year she had two special needs students that would not keep their clothes on, much less some type of mask. Forget social distancing among the lower grades.

I'm concerned.

Whatever gets you through the night; it's alright, it's alright. It's your money or your life; it's alright, it's alright---John Lennon
Respected Contributor

University of Alabama is opening up the second semester of summer school on campus and will resume classes in the Fall the same way.  Also I have seen the schedule for the towns around here for school starting in August.  Glad to see it....

Esteemed Contributor

We are moving toward school openings.  I have seem how my grandkids have not done well being at home.  But I sure have mixed feelings.