Respected Contributor

Re: School Supply Lists Sure Include Lots of Things

@LTT1 wrote:

@SahmIam

I must admit that it used to tick me off a bit that parents would not buy their students the necessary supplies. 

But that is why, right or wrong, I purchased supplies for my students.

I could not take any money either, which I understand.

If I had sent students to the office to call parents to bring supplies...oh no.

Well, if a parent were to send a box of Kleenex (that the whole class would benefit from, I rejoiced!

@LTT1 I found, too, that it caused me less stress if I just bought supplies rather than complain.  I took the easy way out I guess. But there are so many more important things to stress about with regard to teaching, as I’m sure you know!  

Tissues were the one thing that many parents wanted to supply. Probably because the low bid tissues were never as comfortable as the more expensive ones and caused some red, irritated noses! Had to agree with them on that. 😉

Valued Contributor

When my son was in grade school (he is a Senior this year) I held onto the requested items list and bought it again right before winter break.  I would take it to school for his teacher.  

QVC Customer Care

Honored Contributor

@SahmIam

I was not writing my first post in regard to you.

Sorry if it seemed I meant you. Each person has their own situation and I trust that everyone here has sized up their situation and is doing what is fair.

I do remember students’ saying that their mom said she wouldn’t let her student bring (a pack of pencils) for others to use.

The whole situation is very lacking in fairness somehow to someone. I remember seeing some students squandering supplies...and I needed to gently intervene so they could know about “value.”

But our school USED to be one in which students were nearly all from middle-income homes. That changed during my last few years and the burden got harder for the contributors to bear. There is no “fix” here.

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Honored Contributor

My opinion (WOW this topic!)

Changing the tenor of this discussion, maybe there are some parents of students who don’t realize the issues we are discussing.

My gripe is like everybody’s (I guess). And this would be:

where is our tax money going?

why can’t certain money be used for things kids really 

need? (pencils, paper, Kleenex, glue sticks)

why don’t schools have enough desks for classrooms

why don’t parents send their student to school with

a mid-morning snack?

why do our schools run out of Kleenex/tp/etc?

If I had known something about the classroom needs (as a SAHM) I would have sent more stuff up;

however, I would have been a bit ticked to hear of others grabbing stuff such as this for themselves!

After all, I really intended the supplies for my child’s

school.

But, oh well.

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Honored Contributor

@RollTide2008 wrote:
No one here has complained they can’t afford supplies, just that they’re not interested in supplying a few extra supplies for children who might otherwise not have them. I’m far less affluent than many of my neighbors and more affluent than some. Nonetheless, I want my child’s teachers to have the necessary supplies to run their classrooms.

Stand on morals and values as an excuse to not fulfill the requested list if it makes you feel better, I stand on my moral values as a reason to fulfill the list and a little extra. My faith is based on loving my neighbors. If I can show some love with school supplies, then that’s what I’ll do.

Please provide the numberd posts which actually state that they aren't "interested in supplying a few extra supplies for children who might otherwise not have them".

Cause I'm not seeing that or even that implied. 

And If faith is brought to the table, well, Loving one's neighbor isn't always about giving him fish. It's teaching him how to fish. 

But I do understand there are many out there that would rather ease their social conscious by giving a few things, rather than addressing the underlying problems and do the hard work in the trenches to lift people up, rather than keep them dependent.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@LTT1  Thank you for clarifying that : )

I believe that there are many who think that how their school district is run is how ALL are run; nothing could be further from the truth. I made it very clear that this was the situation in MY county. I also made it very clear that NO child went without due to the programs set in place by the county and the PTA of each elementary, middle and high school. If you are unable to see the bigger issue at hand, then that is on you.

The issue becomes far more obvious when  the middle and high schools start using lap tops instead of books and very expensive calculators and want parents to donate the cost of 1-3 extras as well as pay for one for their child. It becomes an issue when you are asked to do this each year because the donated ones "disappear" each year. If you're involved in any way with your childs' school, you know/see what is going on because you're talking to the teachers, the staff and other parents (not to mention your child).

Donating when it means a child goes without a coat, food, a roof over their head, heat, etc is something that should be done without a second thought. The discovery of thousands of dollars of school supplies each year are given away to faculty INSTEAD of staying in the school for the next year OR the cost of these extra "gluesticks" (and we're talking far more than just gluesticks; at least in my school system) could be donated and used to purchase clothes, pay heating bills, buy food, etc is what angers me as well as many parents.  For this reason, we are working to end this mess; of course, there are those who are not happy about it despite it being shown it is no longer necessary due to the programs set in my place in MY county. 

You do you, I'll do me.

Respected Contributor

Interesting discussion! I understand being upset about school supplies and how this issue is handled. I just hope these kind of adult viewpoints are aired around adults only and the children involved are not privy to them.  Children hearing this may misunderstand.  I have seen and heard young ones react toward their peers in a negative way, treating those kids who “have” better than those who don’t have.  A kind attitude toward others, especially in the early elem years, comes from the adults in the child’s life.  And so does a privileged, excluding type attitude.

Happier kids, IMHO, are those who are allowed to be kids as long as possible. Children who are drawn into adult discussions that are not meant for their young ears can be worried and unhappy.  And they express that clearly at school through their behavior and interactions, in what they say and do.  It’s very obvious. 

It is heartbreaking when a young child approaches his/her teacher and tells in a negative way about adult issues discussed around them. It’s equally heartbreaking when a teacher hears a child say something mean to another child that is clearly expressed in adult language.  

Point is, the kids are listening!  Great to discuss this here among adults. 

Honored Contributor

Good heavens, don't get me started on that subject...lol   My girls went to parochial schools from k1 through high schools and we had to provide ALL school supplies.  Unlike public schools, they gave the kids nothing despite the fact that tuition was fairly expensive.  We didn't have to pay for text books but twice a year, we got "the letter".  The thing that bothered me was that they were specfic about everything.  Too specific, I think.  One year, one girl needed 5 different colored folders with double pockets.  I got the folders but the ones I got only had a pocket on one side.  That @#$@! of teacher acted it was the worst infracation of all time and went out of her way to take it out on my kid when I said that she could make due with the one pocket.  She upset my kid so much, I had to drive around town until I found the "right" folders.  We had to buy pens, pencils, paper, construction paper, kid's scissors, tape, yada yada yada and to top it all off,  ALL the supplies went into the supply closet.  The teacher handed things out to the kids, as needed.  Your kid didn't necessarily get the things you bought.  My girls are 30ish so it's probably worse now.  I think up to grade 3, they needed a change of underwear.  I could understand that....

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@SahmIam      Yes, I could see where you would be upset on how your district is run.  Here teachers are paid peanuts, have large class sizes, lack school supplies and parental involvement..  It's hard to ask for  class donations when most of the students families live paycheck to paycheck. (so do teachers/staff)  So the teacher buys the supplies or finds a sponsor .