Honored Contributor

There seems to be a mighty compulsion nowdays to provide each child enrolled in public school with a so-called "hot lunch".  I don't quite understand the need for this.  It's the content, not the temperature that provides nutrition.

My parents were quite frugal and only on rare special occasions did I get to buy my lunch.  Mother made my lunch daily which consisted of a sandwich, carrot sticks and a piece of fruit and maybe a cookie. I bought milk. I grew up strong and healthy without any complexes from eating a home-made lunch.  The parents were able to put two kids through college so the sacrifice seems worthwhile.

So why can't parents do this nowdays and why is it so important that taxpayers feed every child?  What's the purpose of Food Stamps if not to feed these kids?  Why can't parents take the responsibility of feeding their own kids?

Just wondering because it seems to be a big deal....

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

Re: School Lunches

[ Edited ]

@Kachina624 

Since moving down South from a relatively affluent area, I've become sensitive to the needs of hungry children during times when schools are closed--such as summer and now that all schools are closed due to the virus.

During the regular school year, they benefit from government-subsidized  free or reduced-price breakfast and lunch programs.  The percentage of kids who participated in these programs was minimal where I lived before, but is huge here.

I've been convinced by a neighbor who served many years as a  school principal that hearts should go out to the kids she encountered every day who went hungry at home if food didn't come from other sources. 

Twice during the summer months, she invites everyone in our 70-home community to meet at her house where we supply  and stuff lunch bags.  These lunches go to a local mission that delivers them to  economically disadvantaged kids.

Our area also has a number of large church-based  and other types of charitable food assistance programs.  Grocery stores and other retailers, as well as civic groups, are major contributors.

What some critics  might see as  "grocery or TP hoarding" could actually be local  charitable groups trying to do good in the community by gathering and distributing necessities to needy families.

When you see a cart filled to the brim with certain items in a store, it could be a store donation being picked up by a charity volunteer.

A lot of low-income people have recently been laid off or let go from  their low-income jobs, as restaurants and many other businesses have shut down.

Things could get worse for their kids before they get better.

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

There seems to be a mighty compulsion nowdays to provide each child enrolled in public school with a so-called "hot lunch".  I don't quite understand the need for this.  It's the content, not the temperature that provides nutrition.

My parents were quite frugal and only on rare special occasions did I get to buy my lunch.  Mother made my lunch daily which consisted of a sandwich, carrot sticks and a piece of fruit and maybe a cookie. I bought milk. I grew up strong and healthy without any complexes from eating a home-made lunch.  The parents were able to put two kids through college so the sacrifice seems worthwhile.

So why can't parents do this nowdays and why is it so important that taxpayers feed every child?  What's the purpose of Food Stamps if not to feed these kids?  Why can't parents take the responsibility of feeding their own kids?

The world has changed since we were kids and in school. It's not the same.

• 1/3 of the kids in my state go hungry without a school meal.

• Kids don't learn when they are hungry.  

• Without a good education, these kids are doomed to poverty and continued need for assistance.

• It costs taxpayers just $60 a year to feed a child and provide other support to the needy.  It costs $6,500 to fund government handouts to big business.

• Food stamps don't pay for everything.  

• I've worked with charities over the years and you'd be amazed how many people go hungry even though they work while receiving some support.

• Being charitable is a good thing.  Count your blessing that you don't need the help.
Honored Contributor

@novamc1 : Well stated. My Dad died when I was a baby and we had social security benefits. Mom made sure we had lunch money but I know she sacrificed something to do this. She was active in the school with the PTA. She was friends with the school cafeteria manager and any extra funds raised from PTA events were given to the manager- a precious woman that made sure kids were given lunch bags of PBJ sandwiches and milk to take home. Southern Bee

Honored Contributor

@CalminHeart : I was born with cerebral palsy and a well known orthopedic doctor in my city established a cripple children's clinic for us and surrounding counties. Ladies Groups- from churches and garden groups prepared lunch bags. My Mom and other parents at first would refuse a lunch bag but they insisted because we were there all day long. The clinic was open from 8 to 5 and only open one day a month. Mom always talked with my teachers the day before to obtain any homework for the clinic day- I had to finish my work before talking or playing.Southern Bee

Valued Contributor

When my daughter started teaching school a few years ago it was an eye opener for both of us. A third of her class that first year of teaching was being raised by an assortment of elderly grandmothers. Those first grade students had absentee parents; some in jail, some just not around....whatever. 

The grandmothers were trying to raise these little children on their small social security check, food stamps, etc. 

I remember that day my daughter saw one little boy sticking the apple from his school lunch in his backpack. She asked him if it was for a snack later and he said "no...my little brother needs it".....she went to their school counselor and found out the grandmother was raising and 8 year old, a 6 year old as well as a 4 year old not yet in kindergarten. Their food stamps had already run out for the month. 

I agree we as a country and as a society need a better plan. A long range plan that prevents this type of need from happening in the first place. But when you are a child with no food in your belly a long range plan is not going to sustain you at that moment. It is not the child's fault that their parents are deadbeats. Our best bet seems to be to break that cycle, so that it doesn't keep repeating. It's the "how" we need to figure out.

Sorry, got off track. There is nothing wrong with a "cold" lunch. I think some people use "hot lunch" to describe a balanced, nutritious lunch....not really meaning the temperature of the food. 

Whatever gets you through the night; it's alright, it's alright. It's your money or your life; it's alright, it's alright---John Lennon
Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 

It is not about a hot lunch, but rather having access to any food.  In my school, abot 50% of the students are considered FARMS (Free and Reduced Meals).  Every student has the option for a free breakfast (part of a grant), regardless of family income.  It is something that also helps with attendance and tardies.  Students who want breakfast need to be at school by 7:10 to get in line.  Breakfast is usually a drink (juice or milk I think) and a breakfast bar (like Nutri grain) or fruit. 

Lunch is a variety of foods, including access to salads, fruits, veggies, pizza, tacos, fries, etc.  Many of my students also work, so they may or may not have access to food at night while they're on the job.  I know that when I worked retail, for example, I had to work five hours before I was eligible for a 15 minute break. 

We also have a food pantry at school that families can sign up for, and once a month there is a free produce day, that even faculty and staff can use regardless of income.  One of my teachers brought a bushel of apples and a bag of oranges back for her classroom, and the next day during a break in instruction she asked if anyone wanted one and they vanished immediately.  

Honored Contributor

This could be one of the reasons why it's a 'big deal.'

Food hoarders grab WIC foods.

Someone using assisted buy, regardless if they are an adult, child or

part of the elderly community, they go without if WIC-approved

food is not available. 

Public School Hot Lunch program has been existence for 

quite some time.  Odd to question it during this difficult time

when we're all just trying to live.
#compassion

0C8A5799-36D6-40D2-A646-B496CE0E8AD7.jpeg

Trusted Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

It's not about the temperature of the food.  It's about poverty and putting food in the bellies of kids who might not eat if it weren't for school breakfast and lunch programs.  Maybe they don't have available parents who can make lunch for them each day.  Maybe they don't even have the food items needed to make lunch for them every day.  Everyone should spend a few minutes doing a google search on the amount of poverty we have in this country and why?  We're one of the richest nations in the world and yet we have plenty of people who never have a nutritious meal.  I'm a retired teacher and saw it all and now I volunteer in a soup kitchen and see more.  I hope everyone will consider donating to a food bank or agency during this challenging time in our country.

Honored Contributor

Just don't even know what to say

"This isn't a Wednesday night, this is New Year's Eve"