Respected Contributor

Did anyone see the story on the marriage proposal that was staged by the groom?  It looked like it was at a gas station.  He and his girl are in a car, several police cars pull up with lights on, tell him to get out of the car and get on the ground.  The girl gets out and stands in front of him and beg the police not to shoot him (guns were drawn).  All of a sudden the guy gets up on his knee and proposes to the girl.  Now, supposedly ALL of the cops in the area were aware of this, but how many things could have gone wrong!  To me, it was not cute, funny or romantic to me - who wants to remember their wedding proposal like this?  I think the groom took this WAY TOO FAR. 

Honored Contributor

I would never get involved with someone that was that big of an exhibitionist to begin with.

I am a private person and the idea of taking a moment meant only for 2, and turning it into a sideshow repels me

Honored Contributor

I can't say anything....I'm just speechless.   Can you imagine what the wedding will be like...LOL

Honored Contributor

Re: Scary wedding proposal

[ Edited ]

I saw this on tv last night.   My reaction was that this was really a poor decision on the part of both the fellow who proposed and also the police who participated.   (This is not a condemnation of any group of people, just an observation about this one, isolated incident, by the way.)

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Respected Contributor

@dooBdoo wrote:

I saw this on tv last night.   My reaction was that this was really a poor decision on the part of both the fellow who proposed and also the police who participated.   (This is not a condemnation of any group of people, just an observation about this one, isolated incident, by the way.)

@dooBdoo - I too was surprised the police would participate in this - I didn't hear he was affiliated in any way with the police department or I might understand it more. 

Respected Contributor

That sounds terrible to me.   

Respected Contributor

I wonder if the Chief knew about this ahead of time.  I can't imagine their superior allowing them to do something like that.

Laura loves cats!
Honored Contributor

I'm stunned the police in that particular community

thought it was a good idea.  

And for the guy? If I was the gal, I would've B-Slapped into

next year.  So incredibly stupid.  

Valued Contributor

This scenario was played out on Everyone loves Raymond when Robbie proposed to Amy. Although no guns were drawn, police cars drove up sirens blaring when Amy and Debra walked out of a restaurant. So this really wasn't thought up by that groom. 

Esteemed Contributor

I can't believe anyone thought this was a good idea, cute or funny. And I don't know what the police were thinking. Given the climate of this country at the moment, they should have used better judgement. I don't care what the bride and groom to be wanted. We don't always get what we want. Someone has to use common sense. And I am not knocking all police. In my crazy mind, I can't believe the majority of police officers in this country would have thought this was a good idea.

lf I was proposed to in this manner, I would have said NO.