Honored Contributor

A fire erupted about 6pm yesterday in the bosque, the area bordering the Rio Grande, right in the middle of Albuquerque.  Police patrolling in an air boat discovered it and immediately got fire and rescue on the scene.  The area is a tinder box often frequented by homeless people.

It was very concerning to the people who live in the area, and some evacuated.  The fire burned about 30 acres of old Cottonwood trees but the fire department was able to bring it under control late last night.  Those with respiratory issues were advised to stay inside.

Screenshot_20220526-132113_kindlephoto-560314566.png

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

@Kachina624 It seems as if the fire season will never stop.  Saturday is a fire watch day for Southern New Mexico. Higher temps, lower humidity, and strong winds will cause any fire to spread quickly according to the National Weather Service.

Every day is just a ****** shoot whether or not another fire erupts. I am just glad they got the bisque fire under control. Haven't they had several this year up and down the river?

Trusted Contributor

@Kachina624   Saw this on the news last night..  

We had one started a few days ago  near Perrins Peak...just outside of town..very close to downtown...they have it under control at the moment but we are supposed to have a windy warm weekend.  It's burned 105 acres right now.  Its was determined human caused..

It's Iron Horse weekend...there will be tons of people here...hope everyone is very careful.   DW

Honored Contributor

I hope no one was hurt.  That fire is very large!  It's a shame about the trees.

Honored Contributor

@On It    Yes, its not unusual for there to be fires in the bosque, all human-caused because the homeless try to camp there and in doing so light fires, toss cigarettes, etc.  There's a wide paved path for recreational use so the police and fire department are patrolling it and the river.  They eject anyone caught illegally using the area.  Patrols have increased this year due to the danger.

Our first heat wave of the year is starting, along with the expectation of high winds and low humidity.  Red Flag week-end.  I hope barbecues will be cooked inside.

Honored Contributor

@dancingwoman wrote:

@Kachina624   Saw this on the news last night..  

We had one started a few days ago  near Perrins Peak...just outside of town..very close to downtown...they have it under control at the moment but we are supposed to have a windy warm weekend.  It's burned 105 acres right now.  Its was determined human caused..

It's Iron Horse weekend...there will be tons of people here...hope everyone is very careful.   DW

@dancingwoman   I heard about the Perrins Peak Fire and thought of you.  Thankfully they got it under control.  As soon as anybody see a wisp of smoke, they turn out an army of firefighters these days to ****** it in the bud.

I noticed there were wildland firefighters at the bosque fire last night.  Wondered where they came from.

Honored Contributor

Summer hasn't even started yet. Gonna be a long hot one.

Trusted Contributor

@SilleeMee  At least we have irrigation water and the pond is full to the brim.  Everything is watered and soaked.  The fruit trees have been watered but the extreme wind and warm temps did a number on the blossoms.  Hardly any fruit has set...DW

Respected Contributor

I so wish we could share some of the heavy rains we are getting.  The ground is soaked and lots of run off...It's even been cooler the last few days and was in the 90's and humid before this hit us.   Too much of one thing or another.  Had a tornado come really close to us Monday evening with lots of limbs all over.  I am in upstate SC

If my dog doesn't like you, neither do I.
Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 

Yep, we've had homeless people breaking into vacant homes and started fires and destroyed the houses and the people that live iin these neighborhoods have complained.....

At least we got a LITTLE BIT of rain here in South Texas, although we need a LOT MORE to remove watering restrictions....and don't ya know the barbeque grills will be going strong...I hope the Parks block the grills from being used because its still pretty dry.....the grass is turning brown already.....we got a brief relief from the heat for about 3 days in the 80's for the highs and 60's for the lows, but back up to the mid near upper 90's again...🙄  @SilleeMee  Yep, this year is gonna be a long hot summer....🥵

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”