Honored Contributor

Just a reminder.

My dad received a call from someone claiming to be my son yesterday.  My son was supposedly in jail in another state and needed money.  Dad did not fall for it.  My son was alive and well at work.

I've been receiving emails from Apple...supposedly.  The title just a tiny bit different than the real ones.  I put it in my junk folder and checked the sender (click on block and the sender will appear) and blocked it.

There are so many scams going on.  Don't open emails from senders you don't know.  Don't give out personal info on the phone.  Don't fall for calls asking for money.  And more.

Respected Contributor

Glad your Dad didn't fall for it.  This happened to my Mom years ago too and she didn't fall for it. She called my SIL then they called the police.  And the police told them - even back then - how common this was.   It's terrible how these scammers target the elderly.  

Thanks for the heads up. 

Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

I've been getting those Apple emails once a month.  I forward them to Apple to investigate.  Also at least monthly get an email claiming to be Chase or American Express.  I do the same thing you do to check the sender and Yep its always crazy return email address.  They seem to come in bunches almost like our info is "sold" to the scammers once a month.

We never answer calls we don't know but I worry about many elderly people who always answer and may not be aware of the scams going on.

Esteemed Contributor

I get tons from banks, phishing.  I call the bank directly and check with them when I'm not sure.  Most I just delete.

Frequent Contributor

For a while I kept getting calls at home telling me the caller worked for Microsoft and they needed to check on my 'Vindows' system. I kept asking them if they actually worked for Microsoft and could I speak to their boss Mr. Gates. They finally stopped calling. I got a lot of those 'Apple' emails at one time plus some from 'Paypal'- these usually don't address you by name and are weirdly worded, My new PITA is cell phone calls from an NY number (I'm in the Boston area) that play a recording in Chinese- I understand Ni Hao Ma (How are you?) at the beginning, then hang up and block the number. I read online that these messages have to do with either package deliveries or criminal charges pending from the homeland, and one poor woman sent the crooks over $1 million.Wouldn't it be amazing if some of these 'Scaminals" (scamming criminals- see what I did there?) used their powers for good instead of greed?

Esteemed Contributor

I literally get about 100 emails a day.Unless I’m positive who the sender is I automatically delete them.I don’t trust anything or any phone calls at all.My phone rings off the hook.I never pick up unless the caller is familiar.

There are just too many people who want to separate us from our money.I often wonder if it would be easier for them to just get jobs!!

Valued Contributor

OMG, I received the same phone call yesterday morning. Scared me half to death! Some guy was crying ( I should say pretending to cry) and calling me Mom. I could barely make out anything he was saying becaus of the crying.  First word out of his mouth was “Mom.” He really did sound like my son. It was very hard to distinguish, because of all the crying. I finally said, “Son, you’re going to have to calm down. I can’t understand what you’re saying, and you’re scaring me.” He continued to “cry.” I heard the words “wreck” and “jail.” I started getting suspicious at that point, so I said “Who is this?” He said “Your son.” I said, “Which one?” He replied “Your oldest.” I knew then he was either lying or had the wrong number. Because of the verbage he was using, I knew he had to be pulling a scam, otherwise he would have given me a name. I made up a name for my DS and called the guy by that name, and he said, yes it was him. I was so angry I yelled at him. He immediately hung up without saying another word. It took me close to an hour to calm down, because at first I really thought it was DS. I immediately called my DS just to hear his sweet, calm voice.

I hope that jerk had a really horrible day, and wasn’t able to scam anyone else. Karma! I hope it is real.

Respected Contributor

When I get those fake Microsoft calls I tell them I don't have a computer.  They hang up.

I've received fake Chase emails lately too and I've looked at the email and just deleted them.  

Esteemed Contributor

@Ladylaughsalot  OMG, that is just sick!

Regular Contributor

This is why I dont answer my phone at home and the answering machine isnt set up for messages. I also dont answer my cellphone unless it shows a name that is in my contact list. If it is important they will leave a message.