Honored Contributor

As an addition to the scam phone calls thread l started, l'm also getting some egregious emails, all coming in to my "junk" box. The worst of the bunch are those coming from the Republic of Benin, stating that I've won millions of dollars in either a lottery or inheritance, and they are holding the windfall for me. They want me to contact them with a copy of my ID and other personal information. Then, for a "small fee" like $150, they will send me the windfall. I can even choose how l want to get paid!!-- $10,000 a day credited to my bank account, or a Visa gift card for the whole amount!! 

Incredibly, "Janet Yellen," "Michelle Obama," and "John Kerry," are all attempting to expedite the receipt of my multimillion dollar windfall!! These emails are so egregious and bizarre, but unfortunately they appeal to some people's greed, and those people get swindled.

l forward all of these emails to the government's internet scam website. (It's the equivalent of the Do Not Call Registry). I hope they're able to catch these criminals.

spam@uce.gov

Have any of you gotten similar emails?

~~Be careful when you follow the masses. Sometimes the 'm' is silent.~~
Honored Contributor

I've been getting my security provider on my pc.......'At risk' notice.  Problem is when I click 'Fix now', it's never ending.  It never seems to fix itself, even after hours on end.  Then it says 'Error found' and to 'fix now'.  I'm thinking that it's a scam of some sort.  Frustrating.  Luckily I don't do any business on my computer.  Zero.  No extra worries there, thank goodness.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

@ROMARY wrote:

I've been getting my security provider on my pc.......'At risk' notice.  Problem is when I click 'Fix now', it's never ending.  It never seems to fix itself, even after hours on end.  Then it says 'Error found' and to 'fix now'.  I'm thinking that it's a scam of some sort.  Frustrating.  Luckily I don't do any business on my computer.  Zero.  No extra worries there, thank goodness.

@ROMARY: I use an iPad exclusively, so all of these scams automatically come into my Junk box. I forward them to spam@uce.gov, then immediately delete them.

~~Be careful when you follow the masses. Sometimes the 'm' is silent.~~
Respected Contributor

Whatever goes into my Junk folder, gets deleted.  I never even open them.

Valued Contributor

I haven't gotten the email, but I did get a phone call that asked for all my info.  didn't give it to them of course, but they said they needed that to forward my $$ and after I had paid the fee. I told them to go ahead and take the out of my winnings and send my winnings in a money order.

cookin

Respected Contributor

I get all sorts of scam emails on my iPad.  Some in foreign languages.  For a long time I got German messages from from some sort of automobile business.  I also occasionally get emails from Russia. 

I never open any suspicious emails or click on links in any 

emails.  

Honored Contributor

My husband and I were talking about this, he says he laughs at the poor spelling and grammar. I've only reported ones that were clearly phishing emails meant to look like they came from an actual company and attempting to hack peoples accounts by getting you to click a link. One company I have an account with has a specific email address to forward them to. These always show up in my inbox though, I rarely check my junk folder. I just let them auto delete on their own. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Honored Contributor

Why are people OPENING these emails?

Please don't even open them.  That, in and of itself, can mess up your computer or cause you to lose privacy.  

A lot of it isn't even about getting people to respond.  It's getting people to open them so that they can unleash their malware, spyware, whatever.

Since I changed to a new ISP I haven't gotten any spam (fingers crossed), so I hope that continues.  ATT was the worst so I'm glad to be out of there.

Honored Contributor

@handygal2 wrote:

As an addition to the scam phone calls thread l started, l'm also getting some egregious emails, all coming in to my "junk" box. The worst of the bunch are those coming from the Republic of Benin, stating that I've won millions of dollars in either a lottery or inheritance, and they are holding the windfall for me. They want me to contact them with a copy of my ID and other personal information. Then, for a "small fee" like $150, they will send me the windfall. I can even choose how l want to get paid!!-- $10,000 a day credited to my bank account, or a Visa gift card for the whole amount!! 

Incredibly, "Janet Yellen," "Michelle Obama," and "John Kerry," are all attempting to expedite the receipt of my multimillion dollar windfall!! These emails are so egregious and bizarre, but unfortunately they appeal to some people's greed, and those people get swindled.

l forward all of these emails to the government's internet scam website. (It's the equivalent of the Do Not Call Registry). I hope they're able to catch these criminals.

spam@uce.gov

Have any of you gotten similar emails?

@handygal2  Must be "the season" I got one claiming to be from a pastor of a church saying he got a western union moneygram for me by mistake and he would send it to me if I would send the fee $150 and my personal info to him---yeh right

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

Re: Scam Emails

[ Edited ]

@chickenbutt wrote:

Why are people OPENING these emails?

Please don't even open them.  That, in and of itself, can mess up your computer or cause you to lose privacy.  

A lot of it isn't even about getting people to respond.  It's getting people to open them so that they can unleash their malware, spyware, whatever.

Since I changed to a new ISP I haven't gotten any spam (fingers crossed), so I hope that continues.  ATT was the worst so I'm glad to be out of there.

@chickenbutt@  These are what is called "phising emails" which don't go to your spam tab because they accurately mimic your REAL bank/credit card company's email or website and therefore, go to your inbox and you think it's legity and open it....But I  called my Bank using the phone number ON THE BACK OF MY CARD and didn't open it, their "security team" informed me okay to open and forward to their @abuse.com email so they could investigage it and take action and told me NEVER EVER open any of their links---  if in doubt go directly to CC website if I had any doubts or questions---and never use "reply" to a suspcious email

If I do open them. to make sure there is no virus/adware/malware on my PC, I run extra scans using 2 different security softwre devices to check for virus/adware/malware

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”