Respected Contributor

Re: Samson, The 28 Pound Cat

annabelle and Pam, I love the cat tales. 

Today I asked mr henny what was on his agenda. He said there was an adoption day at one of the shelters.

I had to control myself or I would have brought more home. So I declined his suggestion.

We have our moose and two others in the house. and have been feeding two ferals outside. 

Respected Contributor

I didn't want to open this thread because I expected to read a cruelty story and see a picture of a huge overweight cat with a tiny head.  That sort of thing upsets me.

Samson appeared on our local news in his first tv appearance this morning. His vet was there too.  She said Samson is very healthy and is not overweight for his breed.  That made me feel better and Samson is a real beauty.  Samson eats about 3x as much per day as other cats.

I once had a cat who was close to 20 pounds, but she was extremely muscular and the vet said she wasn't unhealthy either.

Honored Contributor

@Annabellethecat66 In loving memory of Jacksonimage.jpeg

Honored Contributor

@SaRina

I would like to see Samson on television. He is a handsome cat!

Honored Contributor

What a handsome cat

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Respected Contributor

Oh my!  I probably couldn't afford to feed a cat that large.  Hmmm, wonder how big the litter box is?

Honored Contributor

SaRina wrote:

I didn't want to open this thread because I expected to read a cruelty story and see a picture of a huge overweight cat with a tiny head.  That sort of thing upsets me.

Samson appeared on our local news in his first tv appearance this morning. His vet was there too.  She said Samson is very healthy and is not overweight for his breed.  That made me feel better and Samson is a real beauty.  Samson eats about 3x as much per day as other cats.

I once had a cat who was close to 20 pounds, but she was extremely muscular and the vet said she wasn't unhealthy either.

Thank You for that information!  I felt the same and just felt anger that the humans would let their cat get obese.  I'm glad I was wrong!

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@Annabellethecat66 wrote:

@Marp and everyone.  Thank you so much for taking time to help me understand about Coon cats.  It was enlightening.

Not to appear to be too hard headed, but I did notice that in the pictures people seem to be carrying the cats (at least this cat).  I agree (at least I think @hckynut or someone) was saying that the cat could benefit from getting perhaps more exercise (sorry if I misunderstood).  I do agree with that.

I had a cat (my beloved Jackson) who (like many others) just showed up at my house.  He was older and no matter what I did that cat wanted to be outside during the day.  I live in a wooded (small woods, nothing big) area, all dead end streets, beautiful.  Jackson would run out of the door the minute it was opened.  I spent many hours getting that cat back into the house as I'd never had one that I could eventually keep inside.  I cannot tell you how many times I had to have my screened in back porch and door fixed due to Jack digging his way out.

Finally, the Vet said, "Look for your sanity and this cat's physical health (he'd tear himself up digging out) you should let him out for a few hours every day.  

Well, scared to death, I listened to the Vet.  Sure enough (and because I'm old(er) and don't work it worked out great.  He stayed withing the area of my yard (every now and then he'd visit the next door neighbor (and because they are 1 acre lots (no sidewalks) small streams, he was soooo happy.  He'd go out in the morning, come in for lunch and spend a few hours out in early evening.  Then he'd be in way before dark and be happy.

One day I noticed he wasn't himself.  I called the Vet (it was a Saturday evening so it was off hours.  The Vet said take him to the emergency clinic.  I did.  They said he had a urinary infection and wanted to keep him overnight.  I said, "No way".  I didn't know these people and didn't want him afraid.  I called the Vet Sunday morning and he said, "Watch him, give him the antibiotics the clinic gave him" and bring him in first thing Monday morning.  So I did and the Vet checked him out and said he'd be fine.

Two days later I called him in for lunch and I'd been noticing when he came running he'd run and walk and run and walk.  His energy level was way down.  I called the Vet and he said to bring him in and he'd observe him overnight.  

The next morning I got a call saying to come immediately that Jack had taken a turn for the worse overnight and he didn't have much time left.  I rushed in and he died in my arms about 1 1/2 hours later in the Vets.  It turned out he had a very weak heart and it just gave out.  The urinary problem was the beginning.

It took awhile for me to get over missing my beloved Jackson.  But eventually I decided I have this big house with so much love to give and decided I needed company.  My friend (the Vet's nurse) went with me to the Petsmart adoption sit I'd donated money to.  There were lots of cats there.  I wanted two cats (for company for themselves).

As I walked around I saw an orange Tabby (very bright orange).  He reached through the cage and grabbed my pants leg!  That was it...I'd found my baby boy (I love boys especially although I've had whatever showed up at my house.  First time I'd picked the cat.  The adoption lady said there was a girl (black and white) and looks nothing like the orange tabby, that loves her 'brother' and they are inseparable.  I was suspicious but took her too.

That was a few years ago.  To this day I've never picked up the black and white cat (Katie).  She comes to me to pet her a little but none of my family or any visitors have ever even seen her (she hides).  I think she was terribly mistreated.  But boy does she love him!  She cuddles with him, follows him, seeks him out, and kisses him on the mouth (so weird).

Billy (the boy) is typical boy...he gets fed up with all of her cuddling after awhile and I've seen him take his foot and push her off of the table (as they cuddle).  Funny, because she doesn't get hurt but it's him saying, "Enough!  You're smothering me".  I think she knows and sees how much he loves me and is genuinely jealous.

I just accept her the way she is.  I love her but I admit it hurts my feeling sometimes when I come into the room, she gets up and walks away!  Kinda funny really.  

I always laugh to myself when I hear or see people say they OWN a cat.  Most cat people know that you don't OWN them you let them come to stay with you.  Ha!

Sorry, if I intruded into this site but seeing so many cat lovers here (and since I haven't talked much lately about Jackson) it was nice to reminisce about him to people who love their cats like I do.

I think all of you agree that people who have cats as family members know you must accept them as they are.  Unlike dogs they are not trainable.  If anything they train us.  Ha!

Thanks again, I've learned something and it was due to all of you through your kindness and taking the time to teach me a little something.  Annabellethecat.

@Annabellethecat66 bless you for adopting and giving Katie a warm, loving  and safe home.  That was just incredibly kind of you . . . Heart

Esteemed Contributor

@DoneTryin wrote:

Oh my!  I probably couldn't afford to feed a cat that large.  Hmmm, wonder how big the litter box is?

LOL @DoneTryin, it's called a back yard.

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Valued Contributor

How nice of you to share you love of Jackson,

I am a cat and dog lover.  I also have not seen your post.  I wish nothing but love, peace and joy for you and your new family.  Adoption is wonderful and that is what the kitty did when he reach out for you.